Looking for input on the Ruger LCP-Max .380 & The Sig P238 .380

I happily carry Rugers. Every Ruger I have owned has been as reliable as every other striker fire pistol I have, triggers have been decent since the SR series. IMO, Rugers are the Toyota Corolla of the gun world. Not sexy, but they get the job done as well as any other gun.

I have an LC9s, that was my primary carry until I moved to an M&P 2.0 compact for the increased accuracy at longer range. Within 25 yards I can make the flapper swing every time with the LC9.

I also have a LCPII in .22 and a KelTek P3aT. The Ruger’s trigger and sights are far superior. If the Max has the same trigger and sights, I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it.

Within 25 yards I can make the flapper swing every time with the LC9.
ec186356-a55f-4fbd-b945-4ed667593db3_1.93f48cdde8d90d7cd46657cf868da49d.jpeg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That said, Enbloc was really liking his Ruger EC9S a LOT. Not sure how that compares to the LC9.

Ruger has SO MANY different, but similar pistols.

Nobody has mentioned the Beretta Pico. Anyone have any experience with it? Looks like a decent pocket pal. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one for myself. 86339734-1C7B-4471-854B-C945D4DF0424.jpeg

Some variety on the LCPII/LCPII380:

Or an alternative:
1.jpg

ec186356-a55f-4fbd-b945-4ed667593db3_1.93f48cdde8d90d7cd46657cf868da49d.jpeg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That said, Enbloc was really liking his Ruger EC9S a LOT. Not sure how that compares to the LC9.

Ruger has SO MANY different, but similar pistols.
The EC9s as far as I can tell was Ruger cheaping out on the LC9s. Same trigger, mags, ergos, but cheaper polymer, sights milled into the slide (ec9) vs adjustable (LC9s), and cheaper oxide finish on the slide (ec9) vs blued (LC9s). I had the original lc9 as well, but it was a dao gun, and while it was a relatively smooth and easy to stage da, I shoot much better with the striker fired s version.

I have an LCP Max but know nothing about it. I've never shot it. It's still sitting brand new in the box. I only bought it because I figured Maura would become governor and try to get rid of 10 round magazines. You're welcome to try it if you'd like.

I owned a Ruger LCP Max briefly - the kick was much too hard for me (older woman with a bum hand).
I love my Glock 42, soft shooting and accurate, very slim and easy to conceal. Downside is it's either 6+1 or 7+1.

I owned a Ruger LCP Max briefly - the kick was much too hard for me (older woman with a bum hand).
I love my Glock 42, soft shooting and accurate, very slim and easy to conceal. Downside is it's either 6+1 or 7+1.
The G42 (With the newer trigger that does not stack so terribly) is one of the best shooting defensive guns you can buy.

I had one but sold it primarily because my .380 was my "always gun" and the G42 was a bit too big for that for me.

I had an original LCP before that and it shot much worse than the G42.

When I figured the G42 was too big to be my always gun, I went on a mission to find the best shooting LCP sized gun I could find and ended up with the Kahr P380. It doesn't shoot as well as a G42, but it is much better than the LCP.

The LCP2 shoots much better than the original and is my recommendation for most people most of the time. Though it still recoils more than a 42.

This is the P380 overlaid on a G42. It works much better as a pocket gun for me.

1682261867603.png

Last edited:
I have an LCP Max but know nothing about it. I've never shot it. It's still sitting brand new in the box. I only bought it because I figured Maura would become governor and try to get rid of 10 round magazines. You're welcome to try it if you'd like.
Thanks Gerry, we went ahead and got it. So far the wife loves it but we to have not shot it yet. We will it's just finding the time.... Thank you for your offer though!!

You're welcome. I had a 380 that was a good shooter but was old and would only feed round nose fmj ammo. Make sure your pistol is 100% reliable with the ammo you want to carry.

I've only had one "jam" when it was new - with Sig VCrown ammo. The round didn't fully chamber until give a light tap. All of the rest worked fine. Hornady Critical Defense has worked just fine, and is one of the top 2 or 3 brands in the Lucky Gunner tests.

You're welcome. I had a 380 that was a good shooter but was old and would only feed round nose fmj ammo. Make sure your pistol is 100% reliable with the ammo you want to carry.

Back
Top Bottom