• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for standard velocity .22

I've found myself shooting more and more on a range that is restricted to standard velocity .22LR only. I've also found that it's increasingly difficult to find .22LR in standard velocity at a good price. At Walmart you can get the Federal bulk packs of the copper coated .22LR at $10/550 (I have probably 20k of its stored up somewhere), and you can find similar stuff at $15/500 everywhere (Golden Bullet, etc).

Problem is, it's all high velocity. I can barely find standard velocity anywhere - Walmart, Dicks, Bass Pro - none of them carry the stuff. The only places I've been able to find standard velocity (a couple gun shops), it's lead, not copper coated, and runs twice as much - around $30/500.

Can anyone recommend a place where I can find copper coated, standard velocity .22LR for around $10-15/500???

The MRA upstairs range only allows standard velocity, it's a range that's
really more for air pistol, and the backstops and ventilation and all aren't as beefy I guess.

It's hard to imagine a backstop that's OK for a 40 gr projectile leaving the muzzle at around 1100 fps but would be damaged by the same projectile leaving the muzzle at 1250 fps or so, but if that's the rule then that's what you have to comply with, unless you can convince the powers-that-be that it doesn't make a great deal of sense (a bit like teaching a pig to sing, I'm afraid).

With regard to cost, it's simply a matter of supply and demand. Standard velocity rimfire is something of a specialty item for target shooters and even though the average serious target shooter burns through tons more ammo than a typical plinker, there just aren't enough of them (us) to create the same demand that there is for high-velocity rimfire. The least expensive brands for standard velocity I'm seeing at the moment are Aquila and Eley Sport (which is made by Aguila), so you might be able to call around and ask if anyone has those in stock.

The price of standard velocity ammo, like other types, has skyrocketed lately - the case of CCI SV that I paid $159 for a little over a year ago is now up to about $300. There was one supplier who had the Eley Sport listed at the equivalent of $14 a brick in case lots, but he's out of stock at the moment and my understanding is that the price on that particular ammo is going to double when more becomes available.

All of which is to say, I think the days of $15 a brick standard velocity rimfire are gone forever and we all just need to get used to it. Even in the case lots that I burn through, it's still just about the cheapest part of my hobby, so I try not to think about it and just get on with things.

P.S. I've never seen copper-coated standard velocity - not saying it doesn't exist, but all the brands I'm familiar with use plain lead bullets.

I've found myself shooting more and more on a range that is restricted to standard velocity .22LR only. I've also found that it's increasingly difficult to find .22LR in standard velocity at a good price. At Walmart you can get the Federal bulk packs of the copper coated .22LR at $10/550 (I have probably 20k of its stored up somewhere), and you can find similar stuff at $15/500 everywhere (Golden Bullet, etc).

Problem is, it's all high velocity. I can barely find standard velocity anywhere - Walmart, Dicks, Bass Pro - none of them carry the stuff. The only places I've been able to find standard velocity (a couple gun shops), it's lead, not copper coated, and runs twice as much - around $30/500.

Can anyone recommend a place where I can find copper coated, standard velocity .22LR for around $10-15/500???

I'm in the same boat. I've been looking all over and can't find any. I went to WalMart this weekend and when I asked the guy if they had any copper jacketed standard velocity 22lr he looked at me as if I had an ass growing out of my face.

cci standard velocity

Gun and Sport North rt 28 Lawrence Ma. Other brands also. I like the PMC brand shoots well, but smells funny.

... The least expensive brands for standard velocity I'm seeing at the moment are Aquila and Eley Sport (which is made by Aguila), so you might be able to call around and ask if anyone has those in stock.

I had a bad eperience with the Aquila stuff. I found varied in rim dimension a fair amount and would not feed well out of my mags for either my ruger or my buckmark. It is also coated with some kind of sealant that inhibitted feeding. I ended up giving the rest of the brick to someone at the range because they couldn't get federal to run in thier rifle and the Aquila worked fine. But that just goes to show how YMMV with .22 ammo.

I'm sold on CCI standard velocity. It's worth the $30/brick, though I do miss the days (all of a year ago...) when it was cheaper.

I left at brick of Federal Champion at the WalMart in Hudson tonight. Took the rest home, my MKII likes it.

-= chuck

You're shooting at Fazio, right?

Anyways, Remington Cbees are copper coated and are low velocity, perfect for Fazio.

I have been using cci sv and find it very accurate. I just got done comparing these to Wolfs target match. These are a bit more money but shot a 30% tighter group.

There's 2 different types of CCI Standard velocity.

The one in plastic cases is 00032 and is suppose to be better than 00035 which comes in cardbord boxes and is a lot cheaper.

I can't tell the difference between the 2 of them in my 41 or 617.

How ever neither one are copper washed.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm shooting at the Fazio range (upstairs at the MRA). I find it's an ideal place to shoot prone in the winter, and I like that it's rarely used (mostly just leagues and a junior rimfire team), so I can usually shoot alone.

Timbob, Thunderbolts are not standard velocity. They're not 'high velocity' either, but sufficient enough to be banned from the range.

Vellnueve, I couldn't find any info on the Remington Cbees - are those Long Rifle, or .22 short?

As soon as (and if I can) identify a source where I can get .22LR SV at $15/500 in bulk, I'm going to make a good sized purchase (5k-10k). If anyone has any recommendations for a source, or if they want to split an order with me, let me know. If necessary, please PM me online sources (it's okay, I know the secret handshake).

Cbees are reduced noise, made for indoor. I used to shoot them in my basement when I was growing up. I think they were off the market for a little bit but are now back on the market, but I couldn't tell you if they're still jacketed (they were at the time) - but all in all a very nice round if you can find them.

Cbees are reduced noise, made for indoor. I think they were off the market for a little bit but are now back on the market, but I couldn't tell you if they're still jacketed (they were at the time) - but all in all a very nice round if you can find them.

CCI has two CB loadings - the "traditional" style in a short case and a second, which they market as "CB Long," in a long case to aid feeding in some guns. I picked up a box of the latter at Riley's last year, more out of curiosity than anything else. I don't believe they were any less expensive than the CCI SV, and could have even been slightly more. The bullet is plain lubed lead, not copper washed.

Both loadings use a 29 gr bullet rather than the "standard" 40 gr .22 LR bullet and the velocity is very low, so they likely wouldn't shoot to the same point of aim as the SV loading, if that's a consideration. Also, they almost certainly won't cycle a semi-auto.

The Remington ammo web site lists a CB Long as a "new" loading, with a 33 gr hollow point. I assume it would have similar issues regarding point of aim and cycling a semi-auto action. Not clear if the bullet is copper washed or not, but they do show copper-washed .22 shorts, which would be considered standard velocity by the range, I would guess, but still wouldn't cycle a semi-auto. And, if anything, shorts tend to be more expensive due to reduced demand - and even more so lately now that they're not used in international shooting any longer.

Gads! I went through my inventory and found CCI, Rem, Win.T22, PMC, Wolf, and a couple more I don't remember. All std. velocity, all lead, no copper wash.
When I shot bullseye, I would buy a box, try it and if it was accurate, buy a couple cases of the same lot. I used to burn 50 rnds. a night on my indoor range. { Drove my wife & dog nuts!}

Hmm, must have been CBee shorts I used to use. I distinctly remember them being copper washed.

Eley is supposed to have a good rep.

What kind of pistol are you using? Any reason lead doesn't work?

Group buy?

I find the CCI in cardboard boxes (from FS) to be dirty and not always that reliable. In fact, the only thing which has been real reliable in a Ruger MkII has been Velocitor, which is expensive.

Last edited:
How about Aguila Colibri (quiet ammo) there's no gun powder. It's propelled by the primer mixture soley and only travels at 375 FPS. It's so weak it won't cycle a semi-auto rifle.

ruger ammo

In the worschester county league we used fed lightning an it shot fine
I use it in 2 ruger target guns 5" hb and 6 1/2?target.from your remarks the air does not sound like it is healthy.have you had blood checked.maybe in top match shooting it would handicap,but in avarage matches it will suffice.[smile]

Dicks Sporting Goods in Danvers had four boxes (100 ct) of CCI Standard Velocity. I picked those up today.

I also stopped in at Four Seasons for some more Blazer CCI (9mm), and picked up a 500ct Brick (duh) of CCI Standard Velocity as well, on my way to MRA.

seems it's pretty commonly stocked - but it is more expensive than High Velocity... oh well, I will only use this stuff when I bring my son shooting. every other time I'll be using the cheaper Hight Velocity stuff.....

good shootin inside the Fazio Range Today.... my son hit the 3" target at 50 feet.... i was hitting inside the 1"

i guess I was duped on the standard velocity being hard to find - it's out there, but it's expensive vs. high v.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great sale on CCI Standard Velocity

Just bought some of the CCI Standard Velocity at Kittery Trading Post. $25 gift card on $125 purchases with free shipping over $50. 2700 rounds for 158.47. Two orders. Free shipping. $50 gift card on a $250 purchase so you save even more.
I do NOT work for this company but have ordered many times as my Buck Mark Camper loves the CCI Blazers.

Just bought some of the CCI Standard Velocity at Kittery Trading Post. $25 gift card on $125 purchases with free shipping over $50. 2700 rounds for 158.47. Two orders. Free shipping. $50 gift card on a $250 purchase so you save even more.
I do NOT work for this company but have ordered many times as my Buck Mark Camper loves the CCI Blazers.

2700 rounds at $158 is equivalent to about $293 per case of 5,000 rounds (or $29 and change per brick), which is essentially the same price that FS is getting for the CCI SV (in paper boxes vs. the plastic that I would guess KTP is selling - I've never noticed any difference between the two, though others claim to).

Many of the shooters on my Bullseye teams, including me, have shifted over to the CMP ammo at $180 per case, total cost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom