Looking to join Mass Rifle

I think I want to join Mass Rifle. I stopped in one day and they told me it would be about $325.00 to join which includes the initiation fee, work fee, and dues for the rest of this year and next. I noticed on four seasons website that they are having a special in October on their Funshoot day for much less. I don't mind paying a little more to support the club but, I'm wondering if I should just wait a couple of months. Can anyone confirm that $325.00 price?

Also their range rules reference a list of approved targets but, doesn't say what they are, does anyone have the list?

If I do get to join, and I hope to, can anyone fill me in on the process of getting your ID and qualifying on the ranges. The nice guy I talked to said he thought it could all be done in one day if I got there early on a Sunday. Can anyone enlighten me on the process and what I need to bring with me?

It really seems like a great club.

I would read their rules on the web site first. They have some pretty unusual ones that turned me off to them

I actually read through the range rules and they seem o.k. to me with one exception. The Pope, Mclaughlin and Fazio ranges only allow you to load 5 rounds in a rifle (.22) but, you can load 10 in a handgun. I'm sure there is some logic to it, but, it escapes me at the moment. There is no similar restriction on the Loeb range and it has electric target carriers, which might have something to do with it. I just can't reason it out, but, it is a rule I would have no problem following.

The MRA is great.

The qualifications are simple. They'll take you inside to the Loeb and make sure you're on paper. Then they'll take you to whatever range(s) you're trying to qualify for. Again, as long as you're on paper, they'll key you in and your fob will now open those ranges.
You don't need to qualify to shoot on the Loeb, Pope or Fazio. Just McLaughlin and the 100/200.

You can wait for the discounted price, or you can pay up, and then show up for work day, put in your 8 hours (sweeping, painting, building, raking, mowing, cleaning up the woods etc) and you'll get a discount. Either way, it's a fun club, hope you join!

ETA- the targets are any of the common paper targets. Shoot 'n see or NRA marksman targets. You can even print out paper targets or use a blank piece of printer paper. The big no-nos are: No plinking, no photos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input/info. One way or another I think I will join this club. It really does seem like a great place with something for everyone.

Great club. How many clubs have an indoor 25 yd range that accomodates centerfire rifle calibers?

Mass Rifle is a solid club. The rules are tolerable, price is fair, range is close to the city, and you can't beat a 24/7 indoor 25yd range with very few restrictions (no 50bmg, tracers, or armor piercing - I think that's it).

I think the rules say NRA approved targets only, but from my experience, any paper target or similar non-reactive material is fine. Just so long as it's not going to reflect a bullet, cause a mess or cause you to miss the backstop. I shoot paper plates, cardboard displays from my bookstore and stuff I run off the copy machine at work, no one seems to have an issue with it.

To join you just need to show up on a Wednesday night or Sunday morning, fill out an application, watch a video and listen to a lecture about the club's ranges and rules, and then they'll 'test' you on the rules and make sure you can get six shots on paper at 7 yards with a .22 revolver. IIRC, all you need is your checkbook. Easy enough.

The only issue people seem to have with the club is the condition of the target runners in the indoor range; they're constantly being broken and repaired, over and over again. The last three times I've gone in, there have only been 3-4 runners working (out of 10-12 lanes). Usually you have to fight for a working lane, or call a cease fire and repair the runner yourself. I know the board is well aware of the problem, but I'm not sure if they've come up with a solution yet. They just finished replacing the backstop, which has done wonders for the air quality in there (not that it was terrible before, but the new backstop does a much better job of keeping the dust down).

In any case, there are a number of Mass Rifle members here on the forum, including a couple members of the board. If you wanted to get a better look at the place and ask some questions, I'm sure someone would be happy to show you around. Also check out the club's forum at http://massrifleforum.com/.

Sorry. Not to bash or anything because everybody is entitled to their opinion but only allowing one bullet in the entire gun at any given time (summa rules) just seams ridiculous to me. I understand why they want this rule but it seams like they are punishing everybody because of a select few.

Also, they have a rule that says all firearms must be unloaded unless at the firing line and ready to fire. I asked a friend of mine who is a member, “Does that include ones carry weapon?” The response was “no”.

So I went to their "fun shoot" and decided that since my carry ammo was old, I should probably get rid of it anyway. I walked up to the line, and when the guy asked if I was ready, I safely drew my carry weapon (didn’t bring it across him) pointed it at low ready and said “yes”. He gave me a look and asked if it was loaded. I said “yes”. I was then informed in a rather irritated way that the above rule DID in fact include carry weapons.

Seams odd to me that a pro-gun community wouldn’t allow its members to carry.

Sorry. Not to bash or anything because everybody is entitled to their opinion but only allowing one bullet in the entire gun at any given time (summa rules) just seams ridiculous to me. I understand why they want this rule but it seams like they are punishing everybody because of a select few.

That's my biggest beef with the club...Otherwise, nothing beats the Loeb. A 24/7 range that I can even sight in a .308 in?...Can't be beat. The fact that I can't shoot my AR at the Suma 100/200 range...Absurd.

I too am a Member of Ma RIfle. The only reason I stay a member is due to the indoor range. I prefer Harvard sportsman club for everything else. Harvard has more room and far less restrictions on the use of outdoor ranges and IPSC pits. Harvard also has a full auto pit and cowboy shooting only ranges.

I'm a member of MR also and agree that the one-round rule is kind of excessive and why I don't use the 100/200yd range. I'll go to Reading and use their outdoor ranges. I'll stay a member just to use the Loeb range, can't beat 24/7 access.

Back
Top Bottom