• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Fingerprints - MA

Hey guys,

So I have been called in for finger prints and interview for the LTC application process. I submitted the application a couple weeks ago and they said they “submitted everything”. Does this mean this is the final stage of the application process? Finger prints, picture, interview and then you get your license? Or do they then take this to the FBI/State/DMH for further review? Or has the FBI/State/DMH already been done to get to this point?

Thanks for the help. Just want to be educated on the steps of the process.

My understanding, correct me if I am wrong, the FRB (Firearms Records Bureau) will only have information on your status after the application has been submitted to them by your local PD.

My understanding, correct me if I am wrong, the FRB (Firearms Records Bureau) will only have information on your status after the application has been submitted to them by your local PD.

That is correct, however you can use the fact that the FRB doesn't have your information as an indicator that the local PD is holding things up. Then you know who to call after about 10 weeks of waiting.

This ^
My experience is that it is usually a "local" delay /holdup in the overall process; either a wait-list for the interview or the local chief to "review".
Once submitted by your local PD, the remaining state background portion seems relatively quick - YMMV

Last edited:
I know every town is different but i had to make an appointment to submit my application.

That day, i brought in my application and they (lynn pd) took my fingerprints. I think it took about 6 or 7 weeks before getting my LTC....then bought a gun that day :)

They can't do a background check without prints, so that starts the actual "work" on each applicant.

Why the hell not? They have your SSN (optional my ass!), that alone should give them everything they need above and beyond fingerprints. Literally the only time I was ever printed was for the LTC application, so my prints weren't gonna tell them anything.

Why the hell not? They have your SSN (optional my ass!), that alone should give them everything they need above and beyond fingerprints. Literally the only time I was ever printed was for the LTC application, so my prints weren't gonna tell them anything.

Perps steal SSNs (or they are sold to them), give false names, etc. Prints will prove if you were ever in "the system" regardless of the name you give. SSNs are readily available to many people/businesses who do not really have a "need to know" so they aren't secure like many people think that they are.

Bottom line is that the Feds use prints to check you out, sent by MSP to Feds as part of the BG check.

Perps steal SSNs (or they are sold to them), give false names, etc. Prints will prove if you were ever in "the system" regardless of the name you give. SSNs are readily available to many people/businesses who do not really have a "need to know" so they aren't secure like many people think that they are.

Bottom line is that the Feds use prints to check you out, sent by MSP to Feds as part of the BG check.

But the point is they want to find a reason to deny you, right? I'm shocked they pass up a surefire way to deny more people than they already do!

But the point is they want to find a reason to deny you, right? I'm shocked they pass up a surefire way to deny more people than they already do!

So you can take it as they are doing you a favor for using your prints to gain facts rather than deny you on a potentially stolen SSN after which you would need to hire a lawyer to prove your innocence.

The fingerprint on my LTC is at best, a smudge. My pic looks more like Barbara Bush than me. DOn't care, it's in my wallet.

Last renewal (in Mass) they didn't take my prints. LEO said they already had them on file. Not sure if it's from previous licenses or being in the MARNG or both.
I did have to be printed and had to send those in for my Utah non-res.

I just renewed this week (in a new town to boot) and didn't need to do fingerprints.

No clear pattern on this that I can see. When I renewed last summer, I didn't get fingerprinted because my old ones were in the system. When my wife renewed in January, she got printed, even though her prints were already in the system.

If they (MSP) can find your prints, you only need to do it once since 1998. MSP is supposed to retrieve them and scan them in to Feds for the check on each subsequent renewal. If MSP reports that they can't find them, then PD must do them over again.

Back
Top Bottom