LTC Massachusetts to Pennsylvania

I couldn't find a cat. in gun laws for this, so here I go. I am driving to Philidelphia this weekend. I have a resident class A LTC in Massachusetts. I also have a non-resident LTC in Maine and New Hampshire. As far as I know, because of reciprocity, my non-resident in NH should carry over in PA. As long as I drive with my S &W 340PD in a locked safe ( I don't have a trunk...pick-up), will I be OK to pass through CT, NY, and NJ?

LTC's and permits only pertain to concealed carry, traveling through a state is governed by federal law. You are fine to lock up your gun and travel to PA. The PA AG allows non-resident to carry on a non-res NH permit but there has been debate about the acceptance of the PA police.

I have contacted the PA State Police and their official statement is that they follow the PA Commonwealth Attorney's ruling on the issue of non-resident license reciprocity.

Take your gun with your NH non-res license and don't worry about it.

Here is a question on the same PA topic...

I have a Mass LTC-A, can I bring a gun by car to PA when I visit my friends? Once I get to PA can I bring the gun into my friends house and keep it there till I leave? I know that I can't carry concealed.

bggsp:

As far a Philly itself I don't know if they have any laws above and beyond the state, I was referring to the State Police and there past problem with non-res permits, which Jose seems to have cleared up.

I have a Mass LTC-A, can I bring a gun by car to PA when I visit my friends? Once I get to PA can I bring the gun into my friends house and keep it there till I leave? I know that I can't carry concealed.

Pennsylvania will not honor MA licenses; they will, however, honor a NH non-resident license, as noted previously. Philadelphia has been attempting to get a home-rule bill passed without much success. As a result, they're still forced to live under the same laws as the rest of the state.

Ken

Yes. PA has no license requirements (like the overwhelming majority of the states) to own or possess a handgun. Only to carry one concealed.

You can also transport it to a range and lend it to others without wondering about anyone's license.

bggsp:

As far a Philly itself I don't know if they have any laws above and beyond the state, I was referring to the State Police and there past problem with non-res permits, which Jose seems to have cleared up.

Philly cannot enact any gun control ordinances due to the Commonwealth's firearm regulation pre-emption law.

One difference between Philly and the rest of the state is that Philly is defined as a "city of the first class" which means that open carry there requires a valid LTC (NH non-res is valid for this).

Outside of Philly you can open carry while not in a vehicle without any permit (although in urban areas you may end up "interacting" with the local police).

For transport from MA to PA all you need to do is comply with the Federal Law and keep your firearm unloaded and either in the trunk or a locked container other than the glovebox or center console.

While the law allows for rest stops and getting gas I recommend getting through New York State as fast as (lawfully) possible without stopping as their state law prohibits the transportation of a firearm with a valid NY license - you are protected by the Federal law but there have been cases of NY cops not knowing the Federal law and detaining/arresting people.

I travel from NH to PA a lot and transport in a locked container in the back of my jeep and never have a problem.

One other thing to remember: if you will be going to a destination in NJ from PA any time on your trip leave the gun in PA.

I'll be doing a similar trip this summer to the all ford nationals at Carlisle. I have my NH non-res but just to be safe I went ahead and got the PA license for $26, quick and easy process. I will be filling up my car as close to the CT/NY state line as possible so I don't have to stop in NY or NJ.

Mass to Penna

I do a few trips per year to the Reading-Lancaster area. I usually take I84 all the way to PA then take 209 through the Delaware National Recreation area, to Stroudsburg then 22-I78 etc. I leave from home 5-6 AM, north of Sturbridge, then don't stop until I get to Milford, PA or further south, then fill up with gas (about 210-230 miles). But going to Philly, this way would add quite a few miles, though the scenery is better than trekking through NYC and NJ. In spring, if you get through the Delaware Rec area in the morning, I have seen as many as 5 black bears (mothers and cubs), a good number of deer and a lot of smaller critters. In the Fall, before deer season, you can see quite a few deer early in the day, but at both times keep alert, because the deer will suddenly appear in front of you.

That looks like a great route, only about 10 miles longer, but about an hour more time. It will let me avoid NYC and NJ so I'm all for it! Anyone else heading down to the all ford nationals at Carlisle?

Are there any PA specific gun laws such as need to notify an officer of carrying that I should be aware of? I'm going to be reading over some PA gun law before I go but any pointers or tips would help. I don't want to have a problem just because I didn't know, it is not an excuse that hold up.

Man, when you read about the transportation of a handgun on the NRA-ILA Federal Gun Laws, it seems ANY transportation by a non-resident...except an Olympian is illegal? I don't want to drive to PA unarmed...even having it my safe in my backseat is better than nothing, but I don't want to get screwed!

Man, when you read about the transportation of a handgun on the NRA-ILA Federal Gun Laws, it seems ANY transportation by a non-resident...

Where do you guys get these ideas? Has living under Mass draconian laws left all of you so shell-shocked?

WTF. Just unload and lock the damn thing in the trunk when driving through any state where none of your carry licenses are honored.

Quit worrying about a simple thing like this.

Laws are laws,police cannot make arrests if a crime has not been committed.Maybe some cops don't like a certain law but thats too bad.There is either bad info out there or Psycho cops that will end up getting fired and or jailed.

Philly cannot enact any gun control ordinances due to the Commonwealth's firearm regulation pre-emption law.

Yeah, but it still doesn't stop philiadumpia from being the biggest anti gun shithole in the state. If you have to defend yourself with a gun in philadumpia, expect to be treated 10 times as worse than you would be outside the city. It is that bad- and I know this from a reliable source- there was a fellow on sigforum that had a gigantic legal battle with the city because some bum that accosted him with a knife saw his pistol (he was about to draw down on the bum, but the bum backed off at the last moment) . Eventually he got cleared but not without a big legal battle. Last I knew he was still trying to get his guns back. (philadumpia PD seized his guns as "evidence" despite them having nothing to do with the encounter. )

All I can say about that shithole is stay away- stay far away. I think I'd rather be tried in most counties in MA than philadumpia.

The rest of PA is otherwise free. [laugh]

-Mike

NYS does NOT require you to notify a LEO that you have a legal handgun in your vehicle, and I sure as hell wouldn't.

I made the trip with my S & W, unloaded and in a locked safe. I carried while in PA and had no problems. But, it was a good feeling not to be unarmed. I hate not carrying.

I'm not taking any chances in PA, I have PA non-res, NH non-res and FL non-res. That should cover me three times over....[grin]

I hear you. I should get my non-res in PA, also. I have a friend with 75 Acres and an impressive collection and a great range. I can't wait until this summer when I go down.

I got my non res PA a while back, cheap and very easy to get. Good peice of mind although my NH non res should be fine I would rather spend the $26 and be sure!

Back
Top Bottom