• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Postal Match- Congrats daekken and Dakar 652!!!

Nice offer Dakar652!

Yeah, mostly about getting those Garands in action, but also about people enjoying them for their intended purpose. Take a moment to reflect on all the battle fought with this fine hardware.

Not just pretty but pretty damn effective!

egLKeDb.jpg

Since I no longer have a Springfield Garand, I'll take the Winny out a third time. Mountain, I dug to find two 'new' HXP '69 from the same lot. Climate controlled with desiccant since I got them last year. We'll see how consistent I am.

t

Mountain, just love that stock...

Attachments

• IMG_3193.jpg
    IMG_3193.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Nice offer Dakar652!

Yeah, mostly about getting those Garands in action, but also about people enjoying them for their intended purpose. Take a moment to reflect on all the battle fought with this fine hardware.

Not just pretty but pretty damn effective!

egLKeDb.jpg

What's with the ghost ring on the white targets. Is that your 200 yard impact area when shooting 100?

Since I no longer have a Springfield Garand, I'll take the Winny out a third time. Mountain, I dug to find two 'new' HXP '69 from the same lot. Climate controlled with desiccant since I got them last year. We'll see how consistent I am.

t

Mountain, just love that stock...

LOL, the $50 'MT' Italian Terni. Seems to be shooting fine after a little clearing.

I may take this one to the next Pembroke CMP match. Out of competition but still good practice and also prep for Vermont unlimited class.

What's with the ghost ring on the white targets. Is that your 200 yard impact area when shooting 100?

Yep, good catch. Eventually I'll make a nicer digital version. This was a quick job.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to go tomorrow. I picked up an old looking box of Lake City M2 ball today, purely because the box looks cool and I want to put it on the reloading bench for ambiance. Might run one target with that. Going to try to look up the lot number tonight.

I'm planning to do at least one target offhand, just to be that guy.

I'm gonna try to go tomorrow. I picked up an old looking box of Lake City M2 ball today, purely because the box looks cool and I want to put it on the reloading bench for ambiance. Might run one target with that. Going to try to look up the lot number tonight.

I'm planning to do at least one target offhand, just to be that guy.

maybe that's why mac's bench looks the way he says it does...he put down one thing for ambiance 15 years ago and it reproduced!

LOL, the $50 'MT' Italian Terni. Seems to be shooting fine after a little clearing.

I may take this one to the next Pembroke CMP match. Out of competition but still good practice and also prep for Vermont unlimited class.

Nicest looking $50 stock i've ever seen! Is that your .308? Why would you be out of the competition?

Nicest looking $50 stock i've ever seen! Is that your .308? Why would you be out of the competition?

Not sure we can shoot .308 in a JCG match.

Still some heavy sanding marks on the bottom fore end of the stock. I didn't completely remove them, thinking it might help grip and I didn't want to hog off too much material. May add a few more light coats of BLO every once in a while to further bring out the grain.

my cast load entry

[sad2] was geared up to do a little better. I think the ranch dog profile is a little lacking in bearing surface to push as fast as i did.
I will work on the loads after i go through this rifle. I am hoping this rifle will run on a lighter charge of H4895 if this rifle will function on 33-35 grains it might to better....
black tape is my sighters..... landed 8 out of 10 grand total 34/100

TlceLkm.jpg

[sad2] was geared up to do a little better. I think the ranch dog profile is a little lacking in bearing surface to push as fast as i did.
I will work on the loads after i go through this rifle. I am hoping this rifle will run on a lighter charge of H4895 if this rifle will function on 33-35 grains it might to better....

TlceLkm.jpg

That dog don't hunt. At least not yet.[smile]

Slowfire prone?
Don't blame me, I voted for the 200gr [wink]

Here's my first entry. A casually shot off-hand target with my service grade. 67 score by my reckoning. Will go for a "serious" attempt next week most likely.
20170728_183320.jpg

Had to try to out-shoot the Garand with a Mauser....and I did by 1 point. 94 1-X. This is my RC Depot XII (Mainz-Kassel) build.

Deutschland, Deutchland, uber alles...

Will be looking for a shooter WWI No. 1 Enfield soon, as I've sold my Savage Enfield, to keep my WW II "allied powers" collection intact. I've nearly raised the money I need overall.

T

Attachments

• IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Had to try to out-shoot the Garand with a Mauser....and I did by 1 point. 94 1-X. This is my RC Depot XII (Mainz-Kassel) build.

T
That's a nice looking Mauser.

Was debating another M1 target this week but think I will bide my time until the match this weekend. Maybe bring a pistol over to the range, since they've been neglected for a while now.

Another bump for those buying CMP Garands, or simply those who need to knock the cobwebs off the ones in the back of the safe.

A few nice entries, but looking like the odds are still really good to win!

Last edited:
Another bump for those buying CMP Garands, or simply those who need to knock the cobwebs off the ones in the back of the safe.

A few nice entries, but looking like the odd are still really good to win!

when im done with my test today I will out line the SR1 target onto the test target and use that,,,,for fun anyway

That works, as long as you align with the test target center, not the center of your group. [wink]

Learned something about the accuracy test. Also interesting how the group 'corkscrews' when the rifle gets hot.

As I surmised, I'd already posted my best. 79, pure sun, windy. Three targets of 69, 71, 76, and 78 HXP. Seemed be be more flyers that usual. My eyesight has been poor the last few days. Even using a peep on my glasses, I couldn't keep the front sight focused on the target. Scores declined as I went on, surprisingly. Heat shimmer may have been a factor. Missed my best score by 1.

92-1X
89-0
87-0

T

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 9
Geez, I'm gonna have to clean the target on the 10th now

Just pretend it's the poo-say gun and you'll shoot a 99.

Lopped off my MM front sight at lunch today. Cut-off wheel, then a quick belt grind to smooth over. Going totally poo-say with a small scope. Too much work to get the pinned and welded muzzle protector off then back on to just use a low-pro gas block. Stupid Mass...

Reminder to anyone who's not in the high 90's that I'll have a random drawing for all (except high score) who entered.

Thinking about my next postal match. Probably all milsurps Vietnam or older. Might make it a winter warrior theme.

Back
Top Bottom