• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Assault Weapons Ban "AWB" FAQ

Sorry if this question is answered in the many pages of the this thread but here goes. So I’m a ma resident with duel residency with NH. Can I purchase a pre ban ar/ak In nh where they aren’t $3000 and file an fa 10 in ma for it and be legal?

Sorry if this question is answered in the many pages of the this thread but here goes. So I’m a ma resident with duel residency with NH. Can I purchase a pre ban ar/ak In nh where they aren’t $3000 and file an fa 10 in ma for it and be legal?

It’s supposed to have been in Mass before the ban. But it’s still legal if you don’t efa10 it.

It’s supposed to have been in Mass before the ban. But it’s still legal if you don’t efa10 it.

Wat? Any gun you acquire needs to be reported, but there's no language that says it has to have been "in Mass. before the ban."

MGL C. 140 § 131M said:
Chap. 140 Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994.

"lawfully possessed" doesn't specify where it was lawfully possessed; it could have have been in the Colt factory, lawfully possessed.

I don't understand why the word "lawfully" is in there. I'm not sure what pre 9/13/94 "assault weapon" could be possessed unlawfully, unless it was manufactured by an prohibited person and nobody else possessed it until after 9/13/94.

Yes.

I’m really accepting the fact that there is a huge gray area when it come to duel residency between MA and NH. And a lot comes down to interpretation of the law because there is no black and white answer. Would have really been a nice provision in all this BS they wrote concidering the amount of boarder hopping that goes on daily between the two states.

I have a SCAR 17 purchased in MASS on an FA10 days before the Healy ban. I've since moved to NH. Can this be sold to a mass resident if brought back to AWB configuration?

Scar is not banned by the AG but you’d have to use an FFL if you’re out of state.
Could he bring the SCAR from NH to a Massachusetts FFL and sell it to the FFL?

Then a Massachusetts buyer could buy it from that FFL.

Could he bring the SCAR from NH to a Massachusetts FFL and sell it to the FFL?

Then a Massachusetts buyer could buy it from that FFL.

If he’s no longer a Mass resident he can’t legally bring it into MA. He could do it at a NH FFL that regularly sells to MA residents. Like Stateline, Next Level etc. I think he could also find a buyer and meet him at a NH FFL to do the transfer. Just can’t face to face out of state.

If he’s no longer a Mass resident he can’t legally bring it into MA. He could do it at a NH FFL that regularly sells to MA residents. Like Stateline, Next Level etc. I think he could also find a buyer and meet him at a NH FFL to do the transfer. Just can’t face to face out of state.
If the owner has a NR LTC, he can bring it to a MA FFL for a transfer to a MA resident. Otherwise a person with a MA LTC (NR or resident) could drive to the MA FFL with him to do the transfer.

Got a guy selling me a lower. It was purchased and registered before the ban and he is going to do an EFA 10. Am I correct in assuming that if it was not registered after being purchased you wouldnt be able to transfer it to a buyer?

Got a guy selling me a lower. It was purchased and registered before the ban and he is going to do an EFA 10. Am I correct in assuming that if it was not registered after being purchased you wouldnt be able to transfer it to a buyer?

You are not correct in assuming that.

You are not correct in assuming that.

this is all up for debate. the MGL doesn't cover it. anyone's guess is as good as another. there is simply no way to say "such and such date is OK to personal transfer" so forth. the only actual date that matters is the 1994 business which covers the AWB such that rifles built before that time the AWB does not apply.

performing an FA10 on a lower alone is retarded and questionable. it's a firearm when it can fire a projectile so this whole idea of doing FA10's on lowers is just straight dumb and made up by people who think they can "stay legal" by doing it. it also requires providing somewhat false information like "rifle" and barrel length neither of which apply to a lower.

this is all up for debate. the MGL doesn't cover it. anyone's guess is as good as another. there is simply no way to say "such and such date is OK to personal transfer" so forth. the only actual date that matters is the 1994 business which covers the AWB such that rifles built before that time the AWB does not apply.

I mean I have a S&W M&P 15 Sport that I got via personal transfer last year and haven't heard anything about that. I know that no FFLs or gun shops will do it unless its strictly pre 1994. But i thought that person to person sale and transfer of items prior to the communists determining that we are the actual criminals was okay to do. Maybe I'm stupid?

performing an FA10 on a lower alone is retarded and questionable. it's a firearm when it can fire a projectile so this whole idea of doing FA10's on lowers is just straight dumb and made up by people who think they can "stay legal" by doing it. it also requires providing somewhat false information like "rifle" and barrel length neither of which apply to a lower.

More than one shop was doing them for stripped lowers they sold prior to Healy's 'clarification'. They would put the barrel length as 0" and caliber 223.

Bottom line is the person had it registered when he bought it. Which is what I was asking about doing an FA10 when I buy it from him. It would seem "retarded" if he just sold it to me and then God forbid i have to defend myself at home and use that gun. That serial number, in theory, would be linked to the original owner.

More than one shop was doing them for stripped lowers they sold prior to Healy's 'clarification'. They would put the barrel length as 0" and caliber 223.
If you are referring to the efa a 10 barrel length of 0 will not work. I tried to lawfully register my SBR and the system produced an error that a rifle "must have a length of at least 16 inches". So your only choice is to register it as a handgun or do not register it.

If you are referring to the efa a 10 barrel length of 0 will not work. I tried to lawfully register my SBR and the system produced an error that a rifle "must have a length of at least 16 inches". So your only choice is to register it as a handgun or do not register it.

I can show you the copy the shop did with a 0" barrel length! Maybe the can do it as a dealer but we can't.

Back
Top Bottom