MA Blackpowder: Lets Get Ourselves Some Christmas Dinner!

Monday is the start of the blackpowder season in MA. Who will be goin out? Where are you planning on going? I will be pretty much all around over the next few weeks...west newbury/groveland, greenfield (if we get some good snow to quiet the ground up), groton and some haverhill. Hopefully Blackpowder won't be anything like shotgun season[frown]. We need some soft snow and temps hovering around freezing so the ground will quiet up. They hear us coming from ten miles away! Good Luck to ALL and safe hunting!

Ill be out there . I have been using my Omega on and off during shotgun season so Im good to go.
I actually got a good spot and stalk opportunity tonight. Saw a doe at about 200 yards and put the sneak on her. Got about 35 yards from her before I took my shot.
She only went about 20 yards after the Brenneke hit her.
A good way to finish the shotgun season.

Since I'm currently muzzloader-less, I'll be taking the bow out (when temps permit -- last season, the release was freezing up). Unless... Maybe Santa will drop by early with a TC Omega. Or, maybe a Savage 10MLSS! Not sure I've been that good though.

Got my Hawkins ready this week (see the gun gallery) . I've got to go out and sight her in sometime before I go out. Its looking like I'll only be able to hunt on Saturdays though...

Going to give it a try a couple Saturdays, if the weather holds. Might even sneak a few afternoons with my bow. I've had no luck yet, and want to use my tags.

Custom, I went with friends who got a fork horn behidn the MassHighway depot on 97, and a spike off a hill along W. Lowell St. in Haverhill. Nice country.

Bagged a big doe tonight. Saw her about 140 yards away and she wasnt coming any closer so I took the shot and connected. Hit her a little far back but she only went about 70 -80 yards.
It was a brutal drag through that typical Nantucket brush getting it back to the truck. Ughhh. Im not even taking it out of the truck tonight. Im beat. Need to take it to get tagged first thing in the AM anyhow.

Nice job Plural!!

Warning: She'll might freeze solid tonite, can you put her in a garage? I know Boston may hit about 18 degrees.

I dont think it will get that cold here tonight. Mid 20s at the least, hereabouts.
I had to use our refrigerated box truck tonight so it is in an enclosed space. I left the door partially open to cool her down but I dont think it will get cold enough to freeze her up.

We need some soft snow and temps hovering around freezing so the ground will quiet up. They hear us coming from ten miles away! Good Luck to ALL and safe hunting!

I spent the morning in Phillipston, sounded like I was walking through a bowl of Corn Flakes. After that I went up to Georgetown, where there's little to no snow on the ground, for the afternoon. Saw nothing either place.

Bagged two more doe tonight.
Got one on the way to a ground blind I built this morning. I needed a new spot to deal with the NW wind that has been blasting the last few days .
Let her run into the brush and hunkered into my ground blind.
Ten minutes later another doe came through so I shot her . She ran in the same direction as the other.
I found them about 20 feet from each other and was able to back the truck down an old brush road and throw them right in after a short drag. Perfect!
All tagged out before 3 pm!
My hunting buddy also got a nice doe down the road from me at a property he caretakes during the winter.
I need more doe tags. Going to go buy two more tomorrow when we check these. The season isnt over yet!
I have a lot of meat to cut this weekend...[smile]
The deer really seem to be moving around here, early in the afternoon.
Any one else have any luck today?

Group photo

Back of my truck this morning after going to the checking station.

truckphoto.jpg

Nice job plural. I've had poor luck this year. Missed a nice 6 pointer during bow season. Called in 2 other bucks at various points during late bow that I couldn't get to come within range. Snuck up on a doe and skipper early shotgun and didn't have the heart to drop her. Haven't seen a thing since.

I just got the go-ahead from The Boss for a new ML.

I'm looking to buy a black or camo TC Omega, in SS or WX shield coating, non-thumb-hole. The only one's I've been able to find have thumb-hole stocks. :(

Is that a headshot I see? If it is that is a great shot. Right in the noggin.

I think you will need another freezer to store all that meat.

That was only a kill shot to put it down .
Saw five tonight but there is a large buck in the neighborhood where I was hunting so I let all the doe roam around and feed, hoping he would come out. DIdnt see him but thats OK.
My back yard looks like Santa's sleigh crashed into the trees. LOL.
My freezer is 16 x 20 x 8.[smile] No problems there.

Hey zerodown. Dont give up. You will score. Ive had my frustrations,blown easy shots and had dry spells like any other hunter. Persistence is the key to success. Dont get discouraged.

Pupchow. I have a regular black Omega with the standard stock . I handled a couple with the thumb hole stock and I didnt like the balance of the gun. The standard synthetic stock felt better. The Omegas seems front heavy to me. I keep thinking I would like to buy another and have about 3-4 inches cut off the muzzle and turn it into a carbine of sorts.

Looks like we will have quite a bit of snow coming our way. Up to 15 inches depending on what weather station you watch. Yahoo! We dont get a chance to hunt in the snow very often here on island.

My back yard looks like Santa's sleigh crashed into the trees. LOL.

Pupchow. I have a regular black Omega with the standard stock . I handled a couple with the thumb hole stock and I didnt like the balance of the gun. The standard synthetic stock felt better. The Omegas seems front heavy to me. I keep thinking I would like to buy another and have about 3-4 inches cut off the muzzle and turn it into a carbine of sorts.

heh! Nice work, btw.

Yeah, I have some long hikes through thick brush, and the thumbhole doesn't seem to fit right for that kind of handling. I've heard mention of the Omega being front-heavy. Maybe the fluted barrel model would help that?

Havent handled the fluted barrel model.
Unless it is heavily fluted I dont see how it could make much difference.

I also have an older stainless TC Thunderhawk. Its a great gun. Nice and light.
If you can find one of those used in good shape I would recommend buying it.
Put the 209 conversion on it and you are all set. Granted , it doesnt have the removable breech plug like the Omega , which is its only drawback but it is plenty accurate, short and much lighter than the Omegas.

Guys, take a look at the Traditions Yukon. Its a Spanish import but is well made, short, well balanced with a 209 removeable breech plug all for under $200! I'm amazed at what I got for such short money.

Guys, take a look at the Traditions Yukon. Its a Spanish import but is well made, short, well balanced with a 209 removeable breech plug all for under $200! I'm amazed at what I got for such short money.

Looks good Buck but how is Traditions for customer service?
Granted for under 200 dollars who really cares but I sent the Thunderhawk to TC for repair when I bought it because the previous owner had left a charge in it and had broken the nipple off at the threads.

TC repaired the rifle, put a new adjustable fold down sight on it, included a new ramrod and sent it back to me within two weeks postage paid, free of charge.
They created a loyal customer when they did all that for me.

Yes we have a problem here.
Although I feel the state has over estimated the deer numbers on island, it is up to the hunters to control the herd.
The town has discussed hiring companies like White Buffalo to come over and shoot the deer. The only thing stopping them is the cost.
Another method that has been discussed is lengthening the shotgun season within the existing hunting season, as opposed to another February hunt which pissed everyone off.

"Earn a Buck" has also been discussed. Require all hunters to shoot one or two antlerless deer before they can take any antlered deer.
This is the idea that appeals to me, personally.

Im not a trophy hunter. We eat a lot of deer meat here at the Mongoose household and I give a lot of meat away.
Sure, Ive shot my share of big bucks but I dont have any qualms shooting the does.
Cant eat horns and the does usually make for better eating anyhow.

TC repaired the rifle, put a new adjustable fold down sight on it, included a new ramrod and sent it back to me within two weeks postage paid, free of charge.
They created a loyal customer when they did all that for me.

Just picked up a TC Omega at the local shop, in hardwoods camo w/Weathershield. Yeah, its heft is definitely biased towards the forestock. But it fits well and seems like it'll handle just fine. Now, I just have to find a way to sneak it out from under the xmas tree...

They also had a custom "carbine" on the rack -- a TC Omega with the barrel shortened 4". Black stock. It was priced a bit higher than the Omega I just bought, but I may go back there to handle it again.

A coworker let me check out his sidelock setup -- something about the substantial heft, real wood stock with rustic finish, octagonal barrel, and exposed hammer made it seem very right.

Guys,

I have a question on the Omega, as I am looking to purchase one.

I believe the Omega has the drop down breach that allows the 209 primer to stay dry at all times.

I seem to recall another thread where people indicated this type of action is not allowable during muzzle loading season because of the open breach, although it does load from the muzzle.

Is that correct, or a misinterpretation? I am assuming it is wrong, since you are using them during blackpowder season.

Thanks.

Rick

In MA it's the Breakopen ML's that are not allowed during shotgun season, but are ok for ML season.

Not familiar with the Omega, but if it's the one with the rolling block you are all set.

Also I have washed my clothes with both a 209 primer and a shotshell, and both worked afterwards (kept for practice).

The Omega is fine for shotgun and primitive seasons. The TC Triumph can only be used during the shotgun season because it is a break open type, basically the gun breaks in half to load the primer.

You got me there Cad. [smile]

Now I remember why I dumped my breakopen Bushwacka for my CVA Buckhorn in-line.

finally got a doe, what a long hard season of fighting for her. Three nice one's snuck by me monday morning but an hour later i got my bead on another one and down she goes. What a relief.

VTRJ,

That's the way I felt. I built 3 stands, hung 2 fixed, 2 ladder stands, one Ameristep camo tent, and one ground blind behind a log. I saw a lot of early doe sign, very little buck sign, and had real high hopes all season.

The simple ground blind paid off.

Back
Top Bottom