• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA-centric NFA FAQ

If a person has a trust, are they better off now with just LE notification?

I'd say YES - if they don't mind the wait of not filing online.

Yes, if they don't mind printed at the PD.

Yes, since no need for engraving so you can order a complete SBR from a manufacturer, right?

Last edited:
What?

This ATF 41F is a net loss for those using trusts to acquire NFA firearms. As of July 13th 2016, all responsible persons of the trust have to be fingerprinted, submit photos, and fill out an additional form, all to be submitted with new applications. And now trusts are subject to CLEO notification.

What?

This ATF 41F is a net loss for those using trusts to acquire NFA firearms. As of July 13th 2016, all responsible persons of the trust have to be fingerprinted, submit photos, and fill out an additional form, all to be submitted with new applications. And now trusts are subject to CLEO notification.

So if a person has a trust, should they continue to use it or should they get printed and not worry about engraving?

So if a person has a trust, should they continue to use it or should they get printed and not worry about engraving?

I'm confused about this "not worry about engraving" part - if you file a form 1, i.e. you are making a new NFA firearm, it must be engraved with the maker's info.

There are other benefits to a trust besides what is being lost this July. Depending on how the trust is configured, it can make it easier to pass it to a descendent (multi generational trusts). It allows co-trustees to be in possession of trust items. There's other stuff, you can look it up.

If you don't care about that stuff, then no I don't think there's any benefit for trust vs individual in that case.

I've read a number of threads here related to SBRs and the MA AWB. I haven't found a clear answer to a different angle of the AWB applicability topic in post #3.

Do SBRs fall under MA's definition of a firearm and therefore need to comply with the assault *pistol* constraints?

Thanks in advance!

I'm confused about this "not worry about engraving" part - if you file a form 1, i.e. you are making a new NFA firearm, it must be engraved with the maker's info.

There are other benefits to a trust besides what is being lost this July. Depending on how the trust is configured, it can make it easier to pass it to a descendent (multi generational trusts). It allows co-trustees to be in possession of trust items. There's other stuff, you can look it up.

If you don't care about that stuff, then no I don't think there's any benefit for trust vs individual in that case.

If you do not go the trust route and you make your own SBR - what does the engraving say? For a trust it would say "Name Trust, Town, MA". What would it say without a trust?

I need a hand if anyone who knows can help me.

I filed a form 1 through my trust - I own the reciever right now, however once its made the trust does - how do I register that in Mass? I assume I have to register it with MA within 7 days of creating the firearm, right?

Any help would be great, I don't want to screw this up.

The person registers it then transfers it to the trust. There is no way for the FA10 system to recognize a trust (nor is there an option for SBR). The trust does not own it until the transfer is done. Yes the timing is odd wrt filing the form 1 through the trust when you have to do the FA10 personally once it's built but you can't build it without the stamp issued to the trust... The system sucks.

You may want to update the first page. Local PD Chief does not need to sign off anymore. That box has been removed from the new forms. All you need to do is send them a copy before submitting to the ATF to make the Chief aware of your intentions. That changed in June or July 2016

Also, the new Form 1 (PDF) includes a ATF copy, another ATF copy (to be returned to registrant), and a CLEO copy. The only copies that need to be sent to the ATF is the (1)ATF copy and (1)ATF-to be returned to registrant copy correct? You don't need to make two copies of those do you?

Excellent thread. Lot's of great info, but of course this process is still somewhat confusing.

I am in the beginning stages IE requested the Form 1 so i still have time to read up on all of this.

Not sure if I want to go thru with the trust items or just go after the stamp. As I said I still have some reading to do.

As soon as you think youve got it figured out they change the way your suppose to do it.

The process can be confusing but its the wait thats a real pisser

Excellent thread. Lot's of great info, but of course this process is still somewhat confusing.

I am in the beginning stages IE requested the Form 1 so i still have time to read up on all of this.

Not sure if I want to go thru with the trust items or just go after the stamp. As I said I still have some reading to do.

After the 41F changes went through a lot of the advantages of a trust went away (and if the trust has multiple Responsible Persons, it's more work since you need prints/photos for all of them). There are still valid reasons to do an NFA trust, but for the many people there's really not a whole lot of reason to bother at this point.

After the 41F changes went through a lot of the advantages of a trust went away (and if the trust has multiple Responsible Persons, it's more work since you need prints/photos for all of them). There are still valid reasons to do an NFA trust, but for the many people there's really not a whole lot of reason to bother at this point.

Starting to see what you are talking about. If I go and get my stamp can I go forward with a trust down the road if I change my mind?

Starting to see what you are talking about. If I go and get my stamp can I go forward with a trust down the road if I change my mind?

For an aditional $200, yes. It is considered a transfer.

Google single NFA trust. You can do a trust just for you and add others later if needed. If you buy something else, you can create a new single trust if you have already added people to the other one.

I've been looking for some recent info to SBR a rifle in MA. Can anybody just hit the highlights for me, especially since the 41F changes went through. So what are the steps? Any help would be appreciated. Probably no trust, unless there are still advantages to one.

This may be a stupid question...

If I were to build and register an AR receiver as an AOW, would I necessarily need to attach a vertical grip to it, or could I simply register it but run it without a grip? The plan is to build a weapon that will be well under 26” and have a pistol brace on a short Pantheon Arms Kentri buffer tube.

Thanks!

If I were to build and register an AR receiver as an AOW, would I necessarily need to attach a vertical grip to it, or could I simply register it but run it without a grip? The plan is to build a weapon that will be well under 26” and have a pistol brace on a short Pantheon Arms Kentri buffer tube.

Thanks!
Don’t worry ATF will reject your application unless the lower was registered prior to the Healy ban (last I heard anyway).

To answer your question though, yes. You would have to build it as originally described on the F1.

Thanks!

What state are you in, I think is the first question that should be asked. Not everyone on NES is a communist.

Don’t worry ATF will reject your application unless the lower was registered prior to the Healy ban (last I heard anyway).

To answer your question though, yes. You would have to build it as originally described on the F1.

I think I should give a little more information. I'm working on a bullpup conversion for the AR. Although it's a proprietary lower, it can be made from an 80% AR receiver. I have a couple pre-healeys kicking around, but I'd much rather not chop those up if not necessary... I'm not sure how the healey bs applies to proprietary designs, but I assume it would apply since the upper is mostly standard AR.

What state are you in, I think is the first question that should be asked. Not everyone on NES is a communist.

I'm certainly not a communist, but unfortunately the Army has me behind enemy lines in MA.

Thanks guys

I’m going to be moving into Massachusetts, I own a number of NFA registered SBR AR platform firearms. I read the first three pages of this thread and page 7 and didn’t see an answer. It appears from this thread people are making new ones on new stripped lowers. Is it legal for me to import ones I already own that were made between 2008 and 2016?

Short answer: Yes.

Mags will have to comply w/ MA's AWB and you will need to notify the ATF (5320.20) of the permanent change of residence for the SBR's.

I’m going to be moving into Massachusetts, I own a number of NFA registered SBR AR platform firearms. I read the first three pages of this thread and page 7 and didn’t see an answer. It appears from this thread people are making new ones on new stripped lowers. Is it legal for me to import ones I already own that were made between 2008 and 2016?

There is some discussions as to whether or not NFA firearms fall under MA AWB. There are compelling arguments for either side. If you have lower risk tolerance, you may also want to ensure that your NFA firearms have fixed stocks and pinned and welded muzzle brakes (or any other, non flash hider device).
The magazines are much more cut and dry - don't have any magazines manufactured after the ban.

I thought I remember reading somewhere, to make copies before signatures are made, and to keep several copies of said doc - but for the life of me I cannot find it anymore. If it was for the Form 1, or the Trust paperwork?
Could someone tickle my brain for me?

Back
Top Bottom