• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA-centric NFA FAQ

I quick addition for those new to the MA-NFA process. When submitting my paperwork, after a 5 month wait I was notified that I also needed to submit a copy of my LTC-A. I went the trust route and my reviewer was helpful in helping me make the necessary corrections.

I quick addition for those new to the MA-NFA process. When submitting my paperwork, after a 5 month wait I was notified that I also needed to submit a copy of my LTC-A. I went the trust route and my reviewer was helpful in helping me make the necessary corrections.

Yes. Even as a dealer, I have to submit my MA - MG license.

Let me see if I got this... Buy stripped virgin receiver, register as AOW, build it however you want, as long as there is a forward pistol grip, and no stock. Right? Or did I miss something?

Are threaded unpinned barrels a go?

Any barrel length restriction?

any overall length restrictions?

Once it becomes AOW do I just not worry about this stuff?

I am assuming cheek rests are okay to install on the buffer tube, just not a stock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354637736.436012.jpg

Any issue making an extension to the buffer tube to increase the length and make it so you can not install a stock?

Pistols with a forward vertical grip: This is your ticket to a "post-post ban" pistol. The ONLY prevision of the AWB that can be bypassed by NFA registering a receiver is the "assault pistol" part. For example, if you take a virgin AR-15 receiver, and register it as an AOW, you can build it into essentially a legal "post-post-ban" pistol. You would need to make sure there is no easy way to put a stock on it, and it would need a forward vertical grip. Once it's an AOW, it doesn't meet the definition of a pistol anymore. This was done during the Federal ban by a few FFL/SOTs, mostly using Olympic OA-93 uppers, as they don't require a buffer tube of any kind. The receiver would have to start as a virgin, never assembled into anything before, Title I receiver.

If I bring an NFA item into the state, like a SBS or SBR, I understand that like all firearms, I assume that they have to be registered via FA-10 like all firearms, but is there anything else that has to be done after the stamp is obtained?

If I bring an NFA item into the state, like a SBS or SBR, I understand that like all firearms, I assume that they have to be registered via FA-10 like all firearms, but is there anything else that has to be done after the stamp is obtained?

If you are moving into the state you do NOT have to register anything. Just make sure what you are brining is legal.

Federally speaking, you need to let them know your NFA item will be crossing state lines.

edit: how would you have an NFA item if you don't have the stamp?

Lets say someone has dual residency and has a SBR in Maine and wants to bring it into Mass. Who would I need to notify?

If you are moving into the state you do NOT have to register anything. Just make sure what you are brining is legal.

Federally speaking, you need to let them know your NFA item will be crossing state lines.

edit: how would you have an NFA item if you don't have the stamp?

Lets say someone has dual residency and has a SBR in Maine and wants to bring it into Mass. Who would I need to notify?

You fill out a 5320 form annually with the ATF to cover the transportation. Done.

-Mike

My under standing on a short barrel shotgun in mass is this .
You can't buy a shotgun and make a sbs in mass even with a tax stamp.

Can you buy a virgin receiver and make one?
How would you move in to mass if you made your own legally before you moved?

I platonically <3 you

You fill out a 5320 form annually with the ATF to cover the transportation. Done.

-Mike

You can not make a SBS in MA and buying one got FUBARed. Can you bring a made SBS into MA or does it have to be factory made?

Can SBS be transferred in MA?

I plan on buying one in Maine.

Virgin 870 receivers? Group buy? :)

My under standing on a short barrel shotgun in mass is this .
You can't buy a shotgun and make a sbs in mass even with a tax stamp.

Can you buy a virgin receiver and make one?
How would you move in to mass if you made your own legally before you moved?

I have a question about suppressors...

Thompson Machine makes an integrated 10/22 suppressor that replaces a bull barrel, the operator... See attachment.

It has removable baffles. If the baffles are removed, is it still considered a suppressor or is it safe to bring into MA? I am assuming no, but I figured I would ask.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
No, the above gun wouldn't be legal, in MA, nor would the parts. Suppressor parts are considered "suppressors" in the eyes of the ATF so unless you have a papered suppressor and can legally possess it, they are illegal to possess on their own.
I believe the perforated barrel and the tube covering it alone constitute a suppressor, and I know for sure that baffles by themselves do.

To file and receive back an approved 5320.20, whatever gun you are filing on must be legal in both the source and destination states. Its in the instructions on the 5320.20

Therefore, if SBSs are illegal in MA, you cannot buy, build or transfer one into the state. Same goes for suppressors. If they were legal, I'd have owned multiples of both years ago.[wink]

Virgin receivers have nothing to do with it. They won't approve an SBS form 1 for "making" in MA as they know that SBSs are not permitted without proper FFL/manufacturer credentials.

FFL/SOT/manufacturer exemptions exist but don't apply here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is going to be legally purchased and stamped in Maine.

The 10/22 is legal, I was just wondering it the suppressor minus the baffles was.

SBS are not illegal in MA, you may not be able to buy one once in the state like a gen3/4 Glock.

The virgin receiver is for an AOW, which I can make.

No, the above gun wouldn't be legal, in MA, nor would the parts. Suppressor parts are considered "suppressors" in the eyes of the ATF so unless you have a papered suppressor and can legally possess it, they are illegal to possess on their own.
I believe the perforated barrel and the tube covering it alone constitute a suppressor, and I know for sure that baffles by themselves do.

To file and receive back an approved 5320.20, whatever gun you are filing on must be legal in both the source and destination states. Its in the instructions on the 5320.20

Therefore, if SBSs are illegal in MA, you cannot buy, build or transfer one into the state. Same goes for suppressors. If they were legal, I'd have owned multiples of both years ago.[wink]

Virgin receivers have nothing to do with it. They won't approve an SBS form 1 for "making" in MA as they know that SBSs are not permitted without proper FFL/manufacturer credentials.

FFL/SOT/manufacturer exemptions exist but don't apply here.

Everything is going to be legally purchased and stamped in Maine.

The 10/22 is legal, I was just wondering it the suppressor minus the baffles was.

SBS are not illegal in MA, you may not be able to buy one once in the state like a gen3/4 Glock.

The virgin receiver is for an AOW, which I can make.

Then file away.

A heads up to those submitting NFA stamp forms....

Be sure to include a full copy of LTC or MG license/green card (as applicable) with your application. I am getting reports from people that forms are getting rejected because they failed to include their appropriate license with their application.

-Mike

Be sure to include a full copy of LTC or MG license/green card (as applicable) with your application. I am getting reports from people that forms are getting rejected because they failed to include their appropriate license with their application.

-Mike

Send in both/all licenses needed to possess the NFA Item. Even as a dealer in MA, they wanted my LTC and my MG licenses. As far as I knew, you needed a LTC-A before you were issued a MG license.

Even if the NFA Item is C&R elidgable, I bet the Form will get sent back if the appropiate state license is not included.

-Mike

I was one of those people that forgot to include a copy of my ltc. Thankfully it wasnt rejected. Edna wilson told me the rest of my paperwork was in order and said i could scan my ltc and email her a copy of it. She had a pdf copy of it 10 minutes after we hung up and i called to verify she had received it. She said 30 days or so until i see my stamp. This was back on December 11th. Fingers crossed.

I see this phrase several times in the first page of posts about what you need to possess this or that... " and your approved tax document". What 'tax document' exactly does this refer to?

I see this phrase several times in the first page of posts about what you need to possess this or that... "and your approved tax document". What 'tax document' exactly does this refer to?

An approved 'Form 1' or 'Form 4'.

I have read through all 14 pages of this very helpful thread (thanks to all who contributed!) and have not found an answer to my question. my LTC-A is set to expire in April (although I do have an appointment in March to renew it), should I wait until I have my renewed license before applying? I obviously don't want to wait given the 4-6 month wait already.

Last edited:
I have read through all 14 pages of this very helpful thread (thanks to all who contributed!) and have not found an answer to my question. my LTC-A is set to expire in April (although I do have an appointment in March to renew it), should I wait until I have my renewed license before applying? I obviously don't want to wait given the 4-6 month wait already.

You won't have a new LTC for months. If you send your paperwork to the NFA branch it will sit for 10 months and then when your all good and they are ready to approve they will see your LTC is missing. You will get a letter, return a copy of the new license and a few weeks later the stamp arrives.
Or wait till June when you have your new LTC and start the process.

I've been searching through this thread and elsewhere on the internet and I am still confused on an issue with full auto. I understand that a full auto must have been manufactured prior to 1986, but does that mean it has to have been full auto prior to 1986? My example would be a 10/22 that was manufactured in, say, 1984 but has been a semi-auto gun since then. Can I legally convert it to full auto with the proper stamp, etc.? Or would the gun have to have been papered as a full auto prior to 1986?

I'm sure this is an easily answered question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

That was what I thought, but I just couldn't confirm it.

Here's the cite...

18 USC 922 said:
(o)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.

(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to—

>snip<

(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

>snip<

1986 - Subsec. (o). Pub. L. 99–308, §102(9), added subsec. (o).

>snip<

Effective Date of 1986 Amendment - Amendment by section 102(1)–(8) of Pub. L. 99–308 effective 180 days after May 19, 1986, and amendment by section 102(9) of Pub. L. 99–308 effective May 19, 1986, see section 110(a), (c) of Pub. L. 99–308, set out as a note under section 921 of this title.

U.S.C. Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

I've been searching through this thread and elsewhere on the internet and I am still confused on an issue with full auto. I understand that a full auto must have been manufactured prior to 1986, but does that mean it has to have been full auto prior to 1986? My example would be a 10/22 that was manufactured in, say, 1984 but has been a semi-auto gun since then. Can I legally convert it to full auto with the proper stamp, etc.? Or would the gun have to have been papered as a full auto prior to 1986?

I'm sure this is an easily answered question, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Unless you are an FFL/SOT you can't convert anything legally.

The NFA registry is a fixed(meaning the number of transferables currently on file) registry maintained by the BATFE of all NFA items.

Any transferable gun that can be sold/transfered to a person other than an FFL/SOT would have to have been registered into the registry prior to May 19,1986. No new machineguns could be made for sale to the general public after that date.

Again, unless you are an FFL/SOT license holder, you cannot convert any gun to fullauto legally.

Go to ATF.gov and find the NFA Faq section and read them, then read them again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it must have been manufactured and registered prior to 5/19/86 to be transferable.

Actually - isn't it the sear itself that must have been registered prior to 5/19/86?

I have a couple of FNC's. The reason why I got them - is because there is supposedly a number of full auto sears out there available for these rifles - manufactured prior to the cutoff date.

Technically the rifle itself was not in full auto configuration before the cutoff - but it can still be made full auto by purchasing the auto sear - which is the part that I would need a machine gun license to actually purchase.

Actually - isn't it the sear itself that must have been registered prior to 5/19/86?

I have a couple of FNC's. The reason why I got them - is because there is supposedly a number of full auto sears out there available for these rifles - manufactured prior to the cutoff date.

Technically the rifle itself was not in full auto configuration before the cutoff - but it can still be made full auto by purchasing the auto sear - which is the part that I would need a machine gun license to actually purchase.

Correct. There used to be quite a few fnc sears floating around for (relatively) cheap money.
I have not looked recently, but have not heard of them floating around much lately.

Correct. There used to be quite a few fnc sears floating around for (relatively) cheap money.
I have not looked recently, but have not heard of them floating around much lately.

Yeah - they were pretty commonly available a few years back. Last time I spent any time looking - a few months back - there didn't seem to be any out there.

Great thread, learned a lot! The ATF has changed the location of the forms from the links listed (most are pretty old). the FORM1 is now here:

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

The other firearm forms are now here:

Forms - Firearms | ATF

And I have a question, is there a thread somewhere regarding CLEO sign-offs (SBR friendly towns, or anything similar). Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom