MA Gun Grab 2024: Senate bill S.2572

That possibly could work. Federally, that may require an 07 FFL that can manufacture. But it might meet the state definition of rifle while staying an other federally.

If it does become a rifle federally, it would prevent you from first building it as a pistol. So it will forever be a rifle. Can’t throw on a 10” 300blk barrel and brace. BUT, since it wouldn’t have a stock on it yet, one might still be able to build it into a pistol, as it might still just be an other.

Edit: Yeah, it seems like it would still be an “other”, so the buyer could turn it into a pistol after taking possession. But I’m still not sure if a non-07 FFL is allowed to put the barrel on.
there are plenty out they’re that have an 07 FFL and would likely be more than willing to do that for cheap or free to help out the transfer, little things like that go a long way for future business and they know it.

To be fair, big boy rules sort of apply at any and all times. There is no law to my knowledge that defines what a “big boy is”.
If you have the will, I’m sure there is always a way. And to some degree, that is precisely what big boy rules mean. Some would even say federal compliance is generally aligned with big boy rules. (I’m the some who would say). But even then, what daddy gov doesn’t know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, technically big boy rules apply to going out and engaging in a federal straw purchase. Those are much different than engaging in big boy rules for our ridiculous and clearly unconstitutional state laws.

It will be what it is and that's the end of it.

It Begins The Hills GIF by The Hills: New Beginnings

Correct - if the senate version of the exclusion is incorporated the only enumerated stuff will be those that were assembled and in the fa-10 database by 7/20/16.
Going to be several thousand overnight felons created.

I doubt they will demand anything - they will pick them up as secondary charges and line them up for photos on how they saved the world.

If they actually push enforcement that would enhance the chance of scotus shooting the whole shebang down the drain.

Edit: remember that a lot people had enough of this states shit from that enforcement notice - if I were a betting man I'd say that there are likely 3 or more times the number of offbooks ARs afterwards as registered ones.
I can’t imagine the state allowing that.
They’d be shooting them selves in the foot a risk the whole thing being shot down in court.

I can’t imagine the state allowing that.
They’d be shooting them selves in the foot a risk the whole thing being shot down in court.
Which is why the house bill had much more generous grandfathering - Day is smart enough to know that adding a taking to the already egregious ban would be too much.
But Creem is too much of an ideolog and pretentious bitch to let something as insignificant as a Supreme Court smack down deter her from her goal.

Yeah, technically big boy rules apply to going out and engaging in a federal straw purchase. Those are much different than engaging in big boy rules for our ridiculous and clearly unconstitutional state laws.
Unfortunately prison is the destination for both a legitimate offense and the ridiculous mass bs

Or a shoestring/belt loop machine gun if you let the ATF make the rules 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe I missed the actual definition of big boy rules

Which is why the house bill had much more generous grandfathering - Day is smart enough to know that adding a taking to the already egregious ban would be too much.
But Creem is too much of an ideolog and pretentious bitch to let something as insignificant as a Supreme Court smack down deter her from her goal.
Tell us about the grandfathering in the house bill.

I can’t find it.

I can’t find it.
Line 1727 in H.4139

1727 (b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to an assault-style firearm lawfully possessed within the
1728 commonwealth on August 1, 2024 by an owner in possession of a license to carry issued under
1729 section 124 or by a holder of a license to sell under section 125; provided, that the assault-style
1730 firearm shall be registered in accordance with section 122 and serialized in accordance with
1731 section 122A.

I seriously doubt this will make it into the final bill since it makes everything a true preban capable of all of the evil features.

This came in to me just before 5:30 by email:
Full article attached as .pdf

STATE HOUSE, BOSTON, MARCH 20, 2024.....In a twist not seen in years on Beacon Hill, a group of lawmakers tasked with negotiating major legislation opted -- at least for another week -- to keep their work open to the public.

Members of conference committees, the six-person squads assigned to hammer out House-Senate compromises on major bills, routinely throw transparency to the wind with votes to enter closed executive session talks. Conferees then usually refuse to answer even basic questions about their work for weeks or months on end, citing the custom of keeping negotiations private.

The conferees who gaveled into their first meeting Wednesday to hash out a major gun law did not follow the same script.

After introductory remarks from each lawmaker, co-chair Rep. Michael Day pointed to summaries of the House and Senate versions of the bill (H 4139 / S 2584), and said it "probably makes sense for us to all dig in on those summaries and then come back to the table and figure out where we want to start cracking away at these."

And before anyone made the customary motion to disappear behind closed doors, a different motion from Sen. Joan Lovely prevailed -- to adjourn until next Wednesday, March 27.

The House approved its bill last October and the Senate passed its proposal on Feb. 1. The House moved on Feb. 26 to send the matter to conference negotiations, and the Senate agreed Feb. 29.

Last edited:

I can’t find it.
Section 128B. (a) No person shall possess, own, offer for sale, sell or otherwise transfer in the commonwealth or import into the commonwealth an assault-style firearm, or a large capacity feeding device. b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to an assault-style firearm lawfully possessed within the commonwealth on August 1, 2024 by an owner in possession of a license to carry issued under section 124 or by a holder of a license to sell under section 125; provided, that the assault-style firearm shall be registered in accordance with section 122 and serialized in accordance with section 122A.

Or a shoestring/belt loop machine gun if you let the ATF make the rules 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe I missed the actual definition of big boy rules
Unfortunately prison is the destination for both a legitimate offense and the ridiculous mass bs

The unfortunate factor is that one is personal non-compliance, and the other involves trying to get someone else to break another law too.

The unfortunate factor is that one is personal non-compliance, and the other involves trying to get someone else to break another law too.
The run for compliant, serialized, and Ma rarities will continue in haste.

All the while the honeypot of FRTs, super safeties, switches, lightening links, auto sears will proliferate in crime ridden sections ad nauseum as if nothing changed.

The run for compliant, serialized, and Ma rarities will continue in haste.

All the while the honeypot of FRTs, super safeties, switches, lightening links, auto sears will proliferate in crime ridden sections ad nauseum as if nothing changed.
So, you think people will buy lots of post Healey AR lowers - AND register them???

Is that really smart to register them?

The government will then know that you have them and they will have the list for confiscation.

But if you don't register, you'll be a felon.

So, what's the plan?

Should I visit the Mill this weekend and max out my cards on lowers?

And no, all receivers for handguns, rifles or shotguns do not become firearms. They become firearms, rifles or shotguns. Firearm (MGL definition) does not include rifles or shotguns.

Right. But when a rifle or a shotgun receiver has *NO* barrel, neither has a barrel longer than 16"/18", and therefore are not "rifles or shotguns" under Mass. law. That leaves "firearm", which are subject to the EOPSS' and AG's lists.

So, you think people will buy lots of post Healey AR lowers - AND register them???

Is that really smart to register them?

The government will then know that you have them and they will have the list for confiscation.

But if you don't register, you'll be a felon.

So, what's the plan?

Should I visit the Mill this weekend and max out my cards on lowers?
Yes
At this time it is 100% legal to buy stripped lowers and build them out and register the F out of them.
You don't need to keep them as built out lowers just get them into an able to fire configuration.
Install a cheap lower kit
Spin on a fixed stock
Attach a compliant upper
Take picture on phone with online storage with serial visible.
eFA-10

In truth you would only need to eFA-10 as I seriously doubt they would be allowed to question if it was in a fireable configuration when registered.

This is assuming the house grandfathering survives - which i doubt.
The senate version sets the date at 2016 in order to avoid a freedom month(s) time frame where we can just load up on post-pre-ban*** freedom rifles.

I don't see them adding language that requires compliance work done to anything that is grandfathered since that would essentially ensure they lose any court action against the ban

***Post-pre-ban 1994->Aug 2024 Mass only rifles exempt from AW requirements

Right. But when a rifle or a shotgun receiver has *NO* barrel, neither has a barrel longer than 16"/18", and therefore are not "rifles or shotguns" under Mass. law. That leaves "firearm", which are subject to the EOPSS' and AG's lists.
But any 07 can add your barrel to the action and transfer
And rifles can be transferred to non-residents so a NH 07 could easily make this happen for rifles and shotguns with a small amount of extra cost.

But any 07 can add your barrel to the action and transfer
And rifles can be transferred to non-residents so a NH 07 could easily make this happen for rifles and shotguns with a small amount of extra cost.

Receiving out of state would require a stock added too. And then you’d never be able to turn it into a pistol with a short barrel and brace, as it would federally be a rifle first.

This also effectively bans future SBSes in MA.

Receiving out of state would require a stock added too. And then you’d never be able to turn it into a pistol with a short barrel and brace, as it would federally be a rifle first.

This also effectively bans future SBSes in MA.
Concur but no one is at jeopardy of an immediate felony charge for those essentially minor as compared to the rest of the bill issues.

That those issues exist in the bill are great data points for a suite - the state can point to no historical ban on the sale of arms similar to what they are doing
Mass did have a law requiring a seller of barrels to proof test and mark barrels for sale but that is not analogous to banning entire product families unless each cosmetic change is retested above and beyond international safety testing standards.

Back
Top Bottom