• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Gun Grab 2024: Senate bill S.2572

I know a great many teachers. I want no more than about 2% of them teaching freshmen anything about caustic chemicals or hatchets, still less firearms.

Here's what would happen. The schools, resentful that the state is mandating a course into which all freshmen must be scheduled, would do nothing until DESE developed a curriculum for said course. This would take DESE AT LEAST two years, more likely four. Then, the schools would grudgingly implement the course by requiring each department to give up one section of their required classes to this course. This would have the effect of increasing class sizes in every other class, so parents and teachers would both freak out. Even worse, it would be an unfunded mandate: the chemicals and axes and saws used in the course would have to come out of the general budget, meaning another year or two during which the schools are using outdated textbooks.

Meanwhile, the teacher nominated to teach this course would most likely be the least important, competent, and/or experienced in each department. They would be given a hasty two-day PD on how to teach it, then they'd be turned loose to offer instruction... on a subject they have no interest or experience in. There's a good chance most of those teachers are personally hostile to the material, too. And since they're inexperienced, they're unlikely to teach it well; students will disengage and go on their betting apps, and the teachers will lack the classroom management to stop them. Nor will they be able to express why the kids should pay attention, since they themselves don't know why.

In my school, there are about three teachers I can think of off the top of my head who'd be even remotely qualified to teach a course like this in a way that might engage their students enough that they actually learn something. I am one of them, and I want nothing to do with teaching a required course to freshmen.

Devil's in the details. It's not a bad idea, but anyone who's spent time in schools knows this is not a great way to implement gun safety education. Not in Massachusetts, anyway.
Bearing in mind that all mandatory training is bad, I could imagine a handful of options. Many of these topics align well with PE or Health classes. The rest probably slot into science (lab safety, etc)

WRT firearms specifically, we already have a law that requires us to recognize Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Week annually and practice it in the schools "as appropriate." (Not that we do.) It would not be hard to roll that into a guest speaker.

This would all hinge on the government and schools wanting it to happen. Which (as you note) is a fantasy, so we can really drop it.

Bearing in mind that all mandatory training is bad, I could imagine a handful of options. Many of these topics align well with PE or Health classes. The rest probably slot into science (lab safety, etc)

WRT firearms specifically, we already have a law that requires us to recognize Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Week annually and practice it in the schools "as appropriate." (Not that we do.) It would not be hard to roll that into a guest speaker.

This would all hinge on the government and schools wanting it to happen. Which (as you note) is a fantasy, so we can really drop it.

I'm picturing a roving squad of safety ambassadors moving across the state, and my school being told "Hey! Schedule them for mid-March!" or something, and the havoc that would cause in our schedule. Not insurmountable, but painful enough that my superintendent would fight it. And so would every other superintendent. Why does DESE need that kind of grief?

Plus, figure two schools a week with (say) two instructors. Massachusetts has over 400 high schools. That's 200 weeks, so you'd need two teams at least. Probably more like three, since they'd be unable to come during MCAS weeks and AP Exams. Those Safety Squads would be traveling constantly; hotels, per diem, state-owned car, the works. All that for maybe two classes per student for their entire high school career. To cover all the things that are designed to keep them safe: 2 or 2.5 hours. And a lot of them wouldn't even get that: students moving into the state, students absent those days...

The devil, as I said, is in the details. That job would SUCK. Think of how much the state would have to offer those guys.

GOAL has a study that reflects this focus on gun suicides as opposed to suicides in general:

I personally know of one situation where a person was red flagged, had all of his guns and ammunition taken away. He then hung himself, so bravo to the state actors who carried out the confiscation. End result was the same.

The ammunition taken away did not include brass or primed brass, but they did take all of the primers and powder. Showing that the state actors do not understand the legal definition of ammunition in MA.
Or they completely understand the definition but also have a modicum of common sense
However, one could use primed brass to cash out in the self-check lane but that isn't as reliable as a length of good rope

I'm picturing a roving squad of safety ambassadors moving across the state, and my school being told "Hey! Schedule them for mid-March!" or something, and the havoc that would cause in our schedule. Not insurmountable, but painful enough that my superintendent would fight it. And so would every other superintendent. Why does DESE need that kind of grief?

Plus, figure two schools a week with (say) two instructors. Massachusetts has over 400 high schools. That's 200 weeks, so you'd need two teams at least. Probably more like three, since they'd be unable to come during MCAS weeks and AP Exams. Those Safety Squads would be traveling constantly; hotels, per diem, state-owned car, the works. All that for maybe two classes per student for their entire high school career. To cover all the things that are designed to keep them safe: 2 or 2.5 hours. And a lot of them wouldn't even get that: students moving into the state, students absent those days...

The devil, as I said, is in the details. That job would SUCK. Think of how much the state would have to offer those guys.
I completely agree.

Of course, I volunteered to Rep Day (at one of the hearings) that I would personally coordinate enough volunteers to do Eddie Eagle in every school in MA... crickets.

OK, M60
First off, I don't understand why you would be upset with my previous post regarding this garbage legislation that the Ma legislature is trying to force feed us. It was not a post of instruction it was a general comment or opinion of what should, could be done to not comply "if the new pending gun control law is passed". If you somehow misconstrued my post I don't know what more I can say to you. Most certainly bad language and name calling does not resolve the situation any further. Whether I'm a paying green member or not is not your concern and if that makes you upset than I am truly sorry for you.
Jeebus, just f*** and get it over with, will ya?

The Senate just dropped their version of the gun grab bill.

"An Act to sensibly address firearm violence through effective reform"

We are looking at it now and will have more to say shortly.

Circle the wagons...
I wrote to Bruce Tarr, no reply.
I dropped a message with Gun Owners of America ... also no reply.

Circle the wagons...
I wrote to Bruce Tarr, no reply.
I dropped a message with Gun Owners of America ... also no reply.

We're frucked, our only hope is the courts afterwards, which will likely take years before any final decision. We'll all be felons in waiting until then, and likely afterwards. If you're young, get the F out of MA and make a life elsewhere (and not just because of gunz).

We're frucked, our only hope is the courts afterwards, which will likely take years before any final decision. We'll all be felons in waiting until then, and likely afterwards. If you're young, get the F out of MA and make a life elsewhere (and not just because of gunz).
Tomorrow is the big day. Wednesday.

I know they will likely have more meetings but maybe we'll get more information then.

Tomorrow is the big day. Wednesday.
Wednesday Hump Day GIF by giphystudios2021

If they expect us to comply, they need to explain the consequences and penalties if we don’t comply.

Unless they threaten arrest or confiscation, this law will be just like Healeys edict and have no teeth. Are they willing to go house to house?

If not…

Go lay and egg.

If they expect us to comply, they need to explain the consequences and penalties if we don’t comply.

Unless they threaten arrest or confiscation, this law will be just like Healeys edict and have no teeth. Are they willing to go house to house?

If not…

Go lay and egg.
This is not true. This will not allow ffl to sell or transfer almost everything not on the roster. This does have teeth.

This is not true. This will not allow ffl to sell or transfer almost everything not on the roster. This does have teeth.

For handguns true - but this also opens up a clear pathway under Bruen.
It will take time for a Massachusetts law to get through the courts since anything in Mass or the 1st Circuit will get slow walked but there are so many other cases working their way up to SCOTUS in the other circuits we may see some relief much sooner than one would otherwise expect.

For handguns true - but this also opens up a clear pathway under Bruen.
It will take time for a Massachusetts law to get through the courts since anything in Mass or the 1st Circuit will get slow walked but there are so many other cases working their way up to SCOTUS in the other circuits we may see some relief much sooner than one would otherwise expect.
“So many” is a bit of a stretch. What other handgun roster cases are out there? I can only think of 2, Renna v. Bonta & Boland v. Bonta out of CA. Those cases also just got delayed by the 9th Circuit pending the en banc panel’s decision in Duncan v. Bonta.

Back
Top Bottom