Ma**h*** considering vaca home w/ siblings

We all have this dream now and then about some how legally getting around the Mass restrictions but I really don't think there's an economical way around it. IF you were Maine resident the only real advantage is you could purchase non-Mass compliant handguns. You couldn't bring their post ban high capacity mags into Mass. and you couldn't sell them in Mass either. Assuming you'd still spend time in Mass, then you'd have to get an out of state Mass LTC, which you'd pay $100 for every year instead of the 7 yr (?) term. So you pay $600 more over 7 years. Most of these non-Mass compliant handguns can be found in Mass but you pay a big premium.

The BIG thing you should be concerned about as touched upon is how the real estate purchase is handled amongst your siblings. I'm no lawyer but I think you'd be best to consult one and probably set up a trust that would own the property legally with you and your siblings all trustees. That way (thinking like a lawyer here with dooms day scenarios) if someone were to become injured at this property and sue all the owners your personal assets are less at risk. Tax obligations are also a huge concern. Also, if you have kids going to college, non-primary residence homes are treated like cash when it come to financial aide but maybe a trust would help you there too? I'd say all these things trump whatever benefit you'd get out of being a Maine resident and having access to non-Mass compliant handguns.

So sticking to the non-resident permit for the moment, say I am a part owner of the place in Maine, have a current Mass LTC & C&R w/ Mass address and I get a Maine NR permit.

Can I leave guns behind when I return to Mass? (secured in a safe)

If I can, and I purchased a gun in Maine or delivered to Maine, it would have to comply with whatever laws/regulations Maine places on guns, not the laws/regulations Mass does?

You can't be a dual "resident."

You can leave guns in property you own in Maine as a Maine non-resident, properly licensed.

You cannot purchase a handgun in Maine and you cannot purchase a long gun in Maine that does not comply with the requirements of your state of residence.

If we wound up with cranky neighbors, could I be a duel resident?!

I've already given up. We may or may not get the place, but my collection enhancements will have to wait a couple years until I convince the little lady to move out of Mass (and wait for RE market to rebound).

A safe is a good idea.

Just a quick note to anyone from out of state who is thinking about buying a house in Maine and storing guns there. Make sure you have a real safe to keep them in and make an effort to disguise the safe from general view and make sure everything is insured. It is a closely guarded fact that Maine has a big problem with B&E's on out of state owned homes. In rural Maine small towns, every one who lives in town knows who lives out of state. Most out of staters buy homes in Maine that are isolated because that is why they are buying in Maine... to have privacy and nature. These isolated homes that everyone one knows are hardly occupied are prime targets to burglery. It happens all the time in my rural western Maine town of 850 people.

I know a guy from NJ had his vacation home hit every year. He finally had a garage built like Fort Knox and every fall before he leaves he moves everything of value into that fort and just expects his house to get broken into.

There was a house in town where the guy lost everything. I mean everything. They even took the furnace, water heater, lawn tractor, rototiller and wood stoves. The guy came back and found a completely empty house and garage. During this past summer, a couple came up from RI to spend some time at the vacation home in town and found nothing but charred remains. The thieves burned it before they left and it was so isolated that no one noticed it burned to the ground. Another hint is to not leave full gas cans around. They used the guys lawn mower gas to burn his house down. Guns are always a big item for rural Maine B&E's.

The point being, don't think rural Maine is idealic. There is a deep resentment amongst the criminal class who see "rich" out of staters buying Maine property and jacking up the home prices so they can't afford to buy anything (in their minds as least). Have a good safe,have good insurance and make them bring their own gas.

Good points, but just so we're clear, I am in no way rich! [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

The thread squashed that particular idea as such, anyway, but of course, if & when, anything of value and any guns would be secured.

I would think (could be wrong) the out of staters finding places in the rural areas are not a threat to the Maine way of life. If we wanted Massachusetts for less money, we'd pick ORB or the nearby ski or lake regions.

It might (or might not) surprise you know that that many of us here in the People's Republic feel just as trapped as the people you mentioned...

Clarification

Please do not take my previous expression about people from away as being my own thoughts. I was merely stating that amongst the criminal element, they think that way. I certainly do not. But clearly the perception is as I stated. I am sure that I would not consider you rich either. But in my town, I am considered rich by others because I have more than them and am college educated and have a professional job. It is a relative matter. But the perception is clearly that if you can own a vacation home in Maine then you are rich and you deserve to be robbed. It is an erroneous rationalization for criminal behavior, and one that I do not agree with, but I have encountered it.

Please do not take my previous expression about people from away as being my own thoughts. I was merely stating that amongst the criminal element, they think that way. I certainly do not. But clearly the perception is as I stated. I am sure that I would not consider you rich either. But in my town, I am considered rich by others because I have more than them and am college educated and have a professional job. It is a relative matter. But the perception is clearly that if you can own a vacation home in Maine then you are rich and you deserve to be robbed. It is an erroneous rationalization for criminal behavior, and one that I do not agree with, but I have encountered it.

Well, we have that 'element' here in Mass, too, but here we call them politicians. [shocked]

Seriously, though, thanks for the point of view. I'll keep it in mind as things develop.

Wives having been mentioned here, let me through another complication to consider before you jump into this scheme. I assume that you and your siblings are all on excellent terms and don't envision any possible future disagreements that might sour this arrangement. If so, you're living in fantasy land. There are few things that can ruin family relations quicker and more permanently than financial arrangements such as this. As much as you might deny the possibility of ever needing it, sit down with a lawyer before any of you signs anything or pays $1, and work out a detailed legally binding agreement covering joint expenses, who gets to use it when and for how long, what happens if one of you decides he or she needs to bail out sometime in the future, and a million other things your attorney will point out.

It will be a pain in the neck, and you might all consider it to be a waste of time and money, but it will save you from all sorts of nasty developments in the future. I make it an ironclad rule to do financial dealings with family in one of only two ways: either as I described above, or making what I consider to be a gift without any expectation of ever getting anything in return.In the later case, I usually get paid back or otherwise get a worthwhile return for my "investment", but I never consider it to have been an investment and treat the return as nothing more than a happy surprise rather than an entitlement. Works out infinitely better all around.

Ken

AMEN!!

I never give money, enter into agreements or bind myself in any way with a family member without either getting it into writing or considering it a gift with no expectations attached. When you think about it, If you can afford a gift to a family member it should BE a gift. If not, maybe they should be looking to another source.[grin]

[laugh] My abject apologies for abusing your name!

It was unintentional and I will not do it again! [smile]

I just spent ten minutes trying to find that "famous" apology, I think from Monty Python, that goes on and on apologizing... Couldn't find it!

There were several.
The BBC would like to apologize to everyone in the world for the last item. It was disgusting and bad and thoroughly disobedient and please don't bother to phone up because we know it was very tasteless, but they didn't really mean it and they do all come from broken homes and have very unhappy personal lives, especially Eric. Anyway, they're really very nice people underneath and very warm in the traditional show business way and please don't write in either because the BBC is going through an unhappy phase at the moment - what with its father dying and the mortgage and BBC 2 going out with men.

The BBC would like to deny the last apology. It is very happy at home and BBC 2 is bound to go through this phase, so from all of us here good night, sleep well, and have an absolutely super day tomorrow, kiss, kiss.
or
The BBC would like to announce that the next scene is not considered suitable for family viewing. It contains scenes of violence, involving people's heads and arms getting chopped off, their ears nailed to trees, and their toenails pulled out in slow motion. There are also scenes of naked women with floppy breasts, and also at one point you can see a pair of buttocks and there's another bit where I'll swear you can see everything, but my friend says it's just the way he's holding the spear. Because of the unsuitability of the scene, the BBC will be replacing it with a scene from a repeat of 'Gardening Club' for 1958.
or my favorite
We would like to apologize for the way in which politicians are represented in this programme. It was never our intention to imply that politicians are weak-kneed, political time-servers who are concerned more with their personal vendettas and private power struggles than the problems of government, nor to suggest at any point that they sacrifice their credibility by denying free debate on vital matters in the mistaken impression that party unity comes before the well-being of the people they supposedly represent nor to imply at any stage that they are squabbling little toadies without an ounce of concern for the vital social problems of today. Nor indeed do we intend that viewers should consider them as crabby ulcerous little self-seeking vermin with furry legs and an excessive addiction to alcohol and certain explicit sexual practices which some people might find offensive.

We are sorry if this impression has come across.

Ken

I bought 45 acres in Maine to have a place to hunt. Worst idea I ever had. I have a calls A high capacity CC in Ma. I can get one in ME, but they skin you for $60 a year. I can't buy magazines there which don't comply with MA laws and bring them home. There are ways around anything you want to achieve if you study the MA laws carefully though.

Locking the guns in a safe in ME is legal, but don't lock anything there you don't want to lose. My buddy who lives a few blocks from me here in MA has a log cabin in ME near my land. It gets broken into all the time. He used to just hide his guns in the cabin, and never has lost one. But now he has a safe there built into a hidden wall panel.

I made a special trip (5 hours one way) with a truck load of 6 ft apple trees and planted them in Oct. Took me two days. When I returned two weeks later to mulch them somebody had hacked all the branches off and knocked them over.

Do yourself a favor. Hunt at home. There are more deer in MA than ME anyway. I'm selling the 45 acres on a salt water river if you want the grief.

I bought 45 acres in Maine to have a place to hunt. Worst idea I ever had. I have a calls A high capacity CC in Ma. I can get one in ME, but they skin you for $60 a year. I can't buy magazines there which don't comply with MA laws and bring them home. There are ways around anything you want to achieve if you study the MA laws carefully though.

Never having owned any property in Maine, I won't venture to comment on your experiences. I'm guessing that you mean to way you have a Massachusetts LTC-A. The corresponding non-residence license from Maine costs $60, but is for 4 years. If you obtained new large capacity magazines any place in the universe and brought them to Massachusetts, you'd be breaking Massachusetts law. There's no way around that in Massachusetts law, short of becoming a police officer. There are, of course, always an infinite number of ways to violate the law, most of which take very little study or rational thought based on some of the people who we read about having attempting them.

Ken

My parents bought a place in western Maine in 75, and for some reason the neighbors like us. Now we are originally from Lynn, Ma and the Mainers called us rich. I still laugh at that. If they only knew.

Luckily my parents have locals who keep an eye out for them.

So back on topic. Even if I have an out of state ME "LTC" I could not buy an non approved Firearm and store it at that house? That is one of my SHTF plans. My NRA instructor (who is a member here) said yes.

Back
Top Bottom