MA non Res LTC Turn Around Time?

NHCraigT

NES Member
I went down and did my interview in Chelsea back on 2/25. Have not heard anything yet = 4 weeks.

Anyone else have a similar waiting time experience?
Anyone getting theirs back quicker...or later...?
Did they lose my information?

Help = Driving me nuts...as I cannot carry right now (old MA non-res LTC is expired)

Last edited:
I went on 3/3 and he told me it would be a few weeks. Nothing yet here either. Still waiting. I'm sure theyre not in any great hurry to send them out

Thanks for the reply.

My interviewer told me that next year, to allow A LOT of time, as much as 3 - 4 months turn around, from start to finish (start: time of mailing in the packet)..... I didn't get the impression that it was going to be that way for this one.

I'm going down Tuesday for my interview. Any suggestions, or can you guys tell me what the interview entailed?

Thanks!

During my non-resident interview the interviewer told me it would take a few weeks to get my LTC because this was a "new" permit. If this would have been a "renewal" he said the license would have been sent out much quicker. He was absolutely right. Another non-resident member of this board who went down for a renewal, and who was interviewed just days before me, had his in a little over a week where mine came in probably 3 or 4 weeks after that. My suggestion would be to be patient. It is doubtful they forgot about you. Their process from what I observed was pretty efficient.

As far as the interview goes there is no reason to worry about it. The interviewer I had was very fair and courteous. He went over all of the answers that I had submitted on my application, and asked me if there was anything else I wanted to add, or anything that had changed. He then took my photo and fingerprints. Other than the travel involved for out of staters they have a good procedure for getting you in and out. Good Luck with your interview.

I'm going down Tuesday for my interview. Any suggestions, or can you guys tell me what the interview entailed?

Thanks!

As stated, the questions the interviewer asks you, are the same as the ones on your application.

FWIW - I went in, not nervous at all. Everything on my application is the truth. I met the interviewer in the lobby, when he came down to get me for the interview.
There was a lot of small talk before, during, and after the interview. I was totally comfortable, as my permit was a renewall, I have a permit in my home state of NH, and several other states, and I have nothing to hide....so I felt pretty relaxed.

Hope that helps = good luck.

During my non-resident interview the interviewer told me it would take a few weeks to get my LTC because this was a "new" permit. If this would have been a "renewal" he said the license would have been sent out much quicker. He was absolutely right. Another non-resident member of this board who went down for a renewal, and who was interviewed just days before me, had his in a little over a week where mine came in probably 3 or 4 weeks after that. My suggestion would be to be patient. It is doubtful they forgot about you. Their process from what I observed was pretty efficient.....

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware that the new system was set up in August of 2009. From what I have read on here, those in the first several months, went thru pretty quick.

However, you don't list the "time-line" of your experience: Aug '09, Sept '09, Oct '09, Nov '09, Dec '09, Jan '10, Feb '10, March '10 = It seems that this may be a key point, for the difference in "wait time" .

?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Just never having gone through the interview process in Mass., I'm a little nervous, but I'm sure everything will be fine. I had heard that they ask you a whole new set of questions when you go in, not just review your application, and try and "trick you up", according to a guy I work with. Everything I put on my application was the truth, so going over the answers I put down shouldn't be an issue at all. Most of the people I work with are Mass residents, and the stories they've told me about the application process, interview process, and then the "interrogation" according to one of the women at work is kind of extreme. Maybe they're just wanting to bust me a little. I'm glad I live in NH.

Again, thanks for the replies, and sorry for mini-hijacking the thread. Didn't mean to do it.

So when should non-residents apply? The reason I ask is that when my family begins our transition from Massachusetts to New Hampshire, I'd like to have a seamless transition (no gap).

Well,

Guess what came in the mail today? You guessed it....My MA NR LTC.

My Experience with the overall Time-Frame:

1.) I pulled the application form off the MA website and mailed it on 1/12/2010 (Cert. U.S. Mail)

2.) I received a call to set up an appointment time on 2/05/2010

3.) The earliest available time slot they had was 2/25/2010 - so I took that day.

4.) I did my interview on 2/25

5.) Received NR LTC on 3/27/2010

2-1/2 Months from start to finish = I hope that this time line is of help to others.

The New NR LTC is an ID card now (as opposed to the laminated large paper permit of old).

The New LTC Reads this way:

Non Resident Class A Large Capacity Temporary
License to Carry Firearms (M.G.L. c. 140 - 131F)

License Number ########## Date of issue: 03/25/2010 Expiration Date: 03/25/2011

Issuing City/Town: MASS STATE POLICE
Restrictions: None

Name
Address
City, State, zip

Last edited:
The part on the NR LTC that I particularly noticed was the "Large Capacity" designation (This was not on the older pre- 8/2009 MA NR LTC's).

Am I to assume that this is referring to rifles and shotguns?

FWIW - Normally, in MA - I either carried 10 round mags, or pre-ban mags (dependant on the pistol).

Last edited:
Thats great to see that yours came, and came unrestricted. Mine, on the other hand, is hung up. I got a letter in the mail yesterday that stated that my fingerprints were insufficient for the FBI background check, and I now have to go to my local PD to get reprinted and mail them to chelsea. WTF... I have been printed for more FBI background checks than I can count, but apparently these didnt come out. So I'll call the PD and set it up. Fortunately, I dont have much else to do these days.

Last edited:
I went on 2/4 and still haven't heard anything. Actually started the process at the end of November, when I mailed in my check and application.

Last edited:
I was there today for my visit. No place to park... had to park over at the Market Basket and walk over in the pouring rain. Not a lot of fun as far as that goes. Not too bad of a process though. I had stitches in two fingers on my right hand that were taken out about 9 days or so ago, and their machine rejected my prints. I have to have them done the "old fashioned" way here in town in a week or so. They gave me a prepaid envelope to mail back the prints. I was told it'll take between 5-7 weeks before I hear anything back.

Im not up on the history of the NR LTC as I have always been a resident. Weren't the old NR LTC's good for a calendar year, not an actual year? IE: apply in Nov and it would expire 31 Dec of same year. At least the NR's will be able to get a full 300 days out of the new ones.

To all NR's I'm sorry the Com of Mass sticks it to you so horribly. At least they should make it the same price and term for both.

I was there today for my visit. No place to park... had to park over at the Market Basket and walk over in the pouring rain. Not a lot of fun as far as that goes. Not too bad of a process though. I had stitches in two fingers on my right hand that were taken out about 9 days or so ago, and their machine rejected my prints. I have to have them done the "old fashioned" way here in town in a week or so. They gave me a prepaid envelope to mail back the prints. I was told it'll take between 5-7 weeks before I hear anything back.

Don't park in Market Basket. They will tow if they see you walk over there. Don't ask how I know.

I actually parked near the Citizen's Bank. Did some banking first, then walked over to the building. I figured since I banked first, it would be o.k. Maybe they left me alone because of all the rain yesterday. I will remember that next year though... thanks.

Where and how much did they get you for the tow? That really bites.

Im not up on the history of the NR LTC as I have always been a resident. Weren't the old NR LTC's good for a calendar year, not an actual year? IE: apply in Nov and it would expire 31 Dec of same year. At least the NR's will be able to get a full 300 days out of the new ones.

To all NR's I'm sorry the Com of Mass sticks it to you so horribly. At least they should make it the same price and term for both.

No, you are mixing this up with the Resident Alien permit which expires the end of the calender year.
NR-LTC's expires 1 year from issue date regardless of when they are issued.

Folks:

I had my "interview" today in Chelsea. Had no idea what to expect. Have had a Class "A" LTC since 1998. The people could not have been more professional, personable and polite. I applied for a renewal shortly before my LTC was to expire [my fault]. That was at the end of April. I spoke with Jody, who told me how long I would have to wait for an appointment, and made a date. Was taken care of right on time by Zoran. They took a set of prints digitally as well as a picture. Zoran went through the information on my application to make sure that it was correct. When we were done, he said that, because my LTC had expired, they would do all they can to get the new one out as fast as possible. When I asked him whether the "interview" was a statutory or regulatory requirement, he replied that it was a statute and that "they were trying to get it changed." All in all, it was a decent experience. I left feeling that they were totally fair. I think that part of the problem is that the legislature gave them a mandate and no additional people or funds to carry it out. Any questions, please send me and e-mail to: [email protected]

I'd really like to see that statute!!

Sorry, they were blowing smoke.

On the other hand, it's good to get the LTC done on plastic, not paper and thus showing up in person to do the web-photo and E-prints makes sense ONE TIME. After that they "should" make it possible for you to Mail in an application, perhaps Email a picture attachment every 5-10 years just so you look like the photo. They should not require an annual trip to Chelsea.

They may have created a CMR to the effect of requiring an annual trip, but a CMR is NOT Statute, just regulation done quietly by bureaucrats with no oversight.

Back
Top Bottom