• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Police Officer Test 2011

Did they ever square away the legal issues that came out of the 2009 exam? I recall hearing something about lawsuits and delays in releasing the scores as a result.

Source? Ever heard of beecher decree? I know minorities that scored below 90 and got hired so it is a valid argument
This is nothing new. I used to work with a guy that it happened to back in the early 1980s. He was scheduled to attend the academy and get appointed to Medford PD (at the time, he was a Medford Special Officer). Well, minorities complained and he got shafted. Some black or Hispanic took his place at the academy after the list got re-shuffled. Fed-up and completely pissed-off, he applied to a non-Civil Service department (Winchendon) and now holds the rank of sergeant. I heard that he is now in charge of gun licensing for Winchendon. Anybody know Bill Geoffroy?

Did they ever square away the legal issues that came out of the 2009 exam? I recall hearing something about lawsuits and delays in releasing the scores as a result.

Well the scores got released (albeit 6-12 months after the initial test, I forget how long). I don't know any details of the lawsuits or the outcome but something must have come of it to get the scores released.

If you have an interest in becoming a LEO in MA, take the test. People will ALWAYS tell you not to, but it's almost the only way to get a job in MA. I am a white male without veteran status and got a job as well as MOST of my academy class.

Yea, id atleast like to see where I stand, but if I can get myself down south somewhere then id be a lot happier, just not too far south because I dont speak spanish..

Source? Ever heard of beecher decree? I know minorities that scored below 90 and got hired so it is a valid argument

I don't know about the police test, but the state corrections test is a sham. As a white male non vet I scored a 96 on the test, but for the interviews they first took EVERY Minority and woman who scored 70+ before starting with disabled vets/100 and going on from there. So being ranked number 300 or so on the list, I didn't even make the interview because of the invisible list that goes first.

Can you still register for the test?

And what are your chances if you're a good looking non-veteran Chinese guy?

And good looking.

Last edited:
Can't argue with most of the more pessimistic (and realistic) comments, but it's worth keeping in mind that the list created by this exam will be in effect until the fall of 2013. Who knows where the economy will be by then.

Can you still register for the test?

And what are your chances if you're a good looking non-veteran Chinese guy?

And good looking.

Youve got til March 15th, and can still register after that for a late fee I believe.

And as long as youve got a chinese sounding name than you should sail through [wink]

Well, I'm already going through the hiring process with an agency down south, but I might as well sign up for this as well. Never hurts to cast a wider net. Good thing I'm a minority veteran with residency, lol.

Well, I'm already going through the hiring process with an agency down south, but I might as well sign up for this as well. Never hurts to cast a wider net. Good thing I'm a minority veteran with residency, lol.

Well in that case test away, maybe we get lucky and they make you chief.

All civil service positions are filled from these tests. A lot of people get hired off of everyone.

But how many of them have clawed their way up through a mishmash of county/state corrections, aux., reserve, internships, explorer positions, unarmed campus or hospital police, SPO, dispatch/unsworn support positions, EMS, constable, seasonal LE work, college degrees and other part time gigs to kill time during the 5-15 years it took them to get a FT position somewhere?

the list created by this exam will be in effect until the fall of 2013.

Remember this?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/65794-For-those-who-took-the-recent-LEO-tests

Golder said the department has no legal obligation to pick the highest-ranked people on the civil service list.

"It's an important part of the process, but it doesn't have to be the only part," he said.

I see that as a non-sequitur. Departments attempting to hire on patronage occurs frequently and it's wrong, but I don't see what that has to do with the list being in effect until fall 2013. My reason for saying so was that all who cite the economy as reason for not taking the test might miss the hiring rebound if they choose not to take the exam this cycle.

I see that as a non-sequitur. Departments attempting to hire on patronage occurs frequently and it's wrong, but I don't see what that has to do with the list being in effect until fall 2013. My reason for saying so was that all who cite the economy as reason for not taking the test might miss the hiring rebound if they choose not to take the exam this cycle.

That depends, How often do they run that test? The DoC test is every 6 months or so, I was pretty sure they ran a police test at least once a year.

That depends, How often do they run that test? The DoC test is every 6 months or so, I was pretty sure they ran a police test at least once a year.

Test is held every other year in the spring of odd-number years. Lists are posted the following fall in October or November, and replace the lists from the previous exam.

IIRC there was a mid cycle exam in 2008, the results from which were merged with the existing lists. That was an annomoly at the time and has not since been repeated.

Last edited:
Ok, I know I took the test one of the years it was up, but I never really looked into how long between tests, just that my name was on the list for 2 years. I still think they are simply a money making scam by the state, but it is the only way to be on the list, so if you're after that, its the only option.

I meant that the list is in effect, but it isn't always followed.

I meant that the list is in effect, but it isn't always followed.
In that case, if you appeal for an improper bypass and win, CS will place you at the top of the list for a set period of time (2 years I think?) or mandates that you appear on the next certification they pull, regardless of when the list is set to expire.

If you take your results and move your name around from list to list, you may see some applicants at the top listed as "310 Veteran/Civilian". Those are usually the candidates who were places at the top for some specific reason, such as won a bypass appeal and were re-entered at the top of the list or are simply mandated to appear on the next hiring certification.

Last edited:
It never hurts to try. Could be more money or worse, but you'll never know until you try. For anyone wanting to, give it a shot, because you'll kick yourself later. Peoples opinions are their own. Go for it! :)

You guys are crazy not to take the test. Yes, it's hard to get on a Dept. in this state but if you don't test you guarantee you wont get on or even be considered. The other reason to test is it will give you an idea how the test is layed out and how the questions are put to you. Believe me, it takes alot of work to get on and there are no short cuts. Spend the money now and reap the benifits of a great job down the road.

Back
Top Bottom