MA Politics in Action -- Gun report delay is probed

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Gun report delay is subject of probe

By Russell Contreras, Globe Staff | August 17, 2006

A Lawrence city councilor and her husband contacted a police officer friend after finding a gun in their home because ``they wanted to keep it low-key," according to police documents filed in Lawrence District Court last week.

Now that officer, Alberto Inostroza , is being investigated for holding the gun for nearly two weeks without filing a report or turning over the gun to the department, said Police Chief John J. Romero .

City Councilor Grisel Silva and her husband, Nelson , called Inostroza on July 29 after they found a .22-caliber revolver wrapped in a white bandana in their daughters' bedroom, according to a police report on the incident. One of their daughters, Tatiana Colon , 17, told police she found the gun at the Supermercado Shop convenient store, according to the report. Yet the report indicates that Silva told police she believes the gun belonged to Colon's boyfriend.

The gun had two empty shell casings, the report said.

After confronting Colon, Nelson Silva said he contacted Inostroza because, the report stated, ``he wanted to talk to Inostroza as a friend and he needed advice immediately."

``Grisel Silva stated that they called Albert Inostroza about the gun because they wanted to keep it low-key," the report stated.

According to police records, Inostroza was off-duty when he went over to retrieve the gun. Inostroza, however, did not properly notify the Lawrence Police Department about the case until 11 days later, Romero said.

``My concern is that [ Inostroza] never submitted a report nor did he turn over the gun until the department" knew about the case, Romero said. ``This is a serious breach of policy."

Romero said Inostroza faces suspension or possible termination from the department.

Attempts to contact Inostroza were unsuccessful. In the report he did file, Inostroza stated that the Silvas asked him to delay reporting the incident.

Romero said Lawrence police would pursue a misdemeanor charge against Colon for unlawful possession of a firearm. The department filed an incident report with the Lawrence District Court and a hearing on the matter before a clerk magistrate will be held next month.

Romero said he has asked the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to check into the history of the gun.

In an e-mail, Silva declined to comment on the case. Instead, she noted a statement issued on a local news website, valleypatriot.com .

``As a city councilor and a mother, I am very upset that this incident occurred and even more upset that my [daughter's] bad judgment is now in the public eye," Silva stated. ``By calling Officer [Inostroza] and turning the gun over to him, it was our intention to make sure that the gun was in the hands of the proper authorities and that the police knew the entirety of the situation."

But, in the incident report filed in court by Lawrence police, Silva asked detectives during a third interview how they found out about the case.

``Grisel Silva stated that she would like to know how we found out about this and that she would be attempting to discover that," the report stated.

Romero said Silva and her husband won't face any charges because ``they did what they were supposed to do. They contacted police."

But Romero said if Silva knew Inostroza was going to turn in the gun and issue a report, ``why would she want to know how we found out about it?"

Silva is in her first term as a city councilor in Lawrence's District B. She won her seat in November, capturing about 60 percent of the vote.

A neighborhood activist, Silva made her name as an antidrug, anticrime crusader before entering politics. She has emerged as an important swing vote on the council and was instrumental in getting the City Council to approve Mayor Michael J. Sullivan's proposal to give the In-Town Mall to Northern Essex Community College so the school could build a new technology center at the site.

Russell Contreras can be reached at [email protected]. What do you think about the Silva case? Visit boston.com/northwesttalk to post your thoughts.

Fire the cop.

Charge the daughter and her gangsta-thug boyfriend with felony gun possession. If Mom and Dad don't like that, then they can lobby their legislators to loosen up the state's gun laws.

Until then, screw 'em. It's time to kick the "ass" out of "compassion".

They can see their little angel during visiting hours, just like all the other criminals' parents.

A neighborhood activist, Silva made her name as an antidrug, anticrime crusader before entering politics.

No doubt she supports our strict gun control laws, ........
except if they bite her daughter in the ass.

A neighborhood activist, Silva made her name as an antidrug, anticrime crusader before entering politics.

No doubt she supports our strict gun control laws, ........
except if they bite her daughter in the ass.

You weren't supposed to notice that...

Typical Massachusetts political hypocricy.

If anyone else did the exact same thing they would be facing charges immediately.

Sept 1, 2008 is my escape date.

Kentucky, to be with my stepson and grandkids.

Planning to buy 50-100 acres and paying the first local I meet with a bulldozer to push up the berm for my range off my back porch. There will be a permanently mounted pintle mount on the back railing.[smile]

Kentucky, to be with my stepson and grandkids.

Planning to buy 50-100 acres and paying the first local I meet with a bulldozer to push up the berm for my range off my back porch. There will be a permanently mounted pintle mount on the back railing.[smile]

I can not wait to move back to N.H. for the same reason, ahh the joy of sitting on the back porch in the morning blasting off several rounds.That will wake you up, forget the coffee, just buy more ammo!

Charge the daughter and her gangsta-thug boyfriend with felony gun possession.

Based on the fact that "the cop says her parents say she had the gun, but they suspect that it really belonged to her boyfriend"??? What if they had reportedly suspected that it really belonged to some blogger named Bruce? (Of course, I'm sure that in that case, there would have been no delay by the police in going after the suspect.)

Ken

Officer fined for not reporting gun

"LAWRENCE - The state Ethics Commission has fined a Lawrence police officer $2,000 for not immediately reporting that an illegal handgun was found under the bed of a city councilor's daughter.

The commission found that Officer Alberto Inostroza did a favor for the daughter of City Councilor Grisel Silva when he took the .22-caliber revolver from Silva's house to spare the daughter a criminal charge."

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_219093823

CWOF for Councilor's daughter

"Colon was charged with illegal possession of a firearm after a magistrates hearing in Lawrence District Court. She pleaded innocent of the charges and an arraignment was held before Judge Brennan, who continued the case without a finding and ordered Colon to serve six months of unsupervised probation. "

http://www.valleypatriot.com/VP080307silva.html

"Colon was charged with illegal possession of a firearm after a magistrates hearing in Lawrence District Court. She pleaded innocent of the charges and an arraignment was held before Judge Brennan, who continued the case without a finding and ordered Colon to serve six months of unsupervised probation. "

http://www.valleypatriot.com/VP080307silva.html

6 months of unsupervised probation.

Anyone surprised?

Have there ever been any studies that correlate Brady "grades" to actual gun violence rates?

My impression is that Kentucky would have very low gun violence rates while earning an "F" from the Brady bunch. I wonder if there is any true correlation?????

Have there ever been any studies that correlate Brady "grades" to actual gun violence rates?

My impression is that Kentucky would have very low gun violence rates while earning an "F" from the Brady bunch. I wonder if there is any true correlation?????

No, there is no correlation between illegal firearms use and a Brady "grade."

They base their grades on the restrictiveness of the gun laws. Massachusetts has a high grade, although not perfect since there is no waiting period.

If a state banned the private ownership of firearms completely, I think they would satisfy the Brady Bunch and get an A+.

I wasn't referring to illegal firearms use, but the overall gun violence, or even crime rate.

Mass has a high Brady grade, and we also have a relatively high gun violence rate.

Kentucky had a very LOW grade, and I believe they also have a relatively low crime/gun violence rate.

Do other states follow this pattern?

Oh, I misunderstood your question. Sorry.

Anyway, you're probably right. NYC, Chicago, DC, Cali and Mass all have restrictive laws. And they're all dangerous.

i dont know the sense of these god damn laws if we dont enforce them. must be nice to know people....if it happend to any of us we would be sitting behind bars

Back
Top Bottom