First Handgun in MA - Skip Larger Sizes Due to 10rd Cap?

Hi all - appreciate all the replies. I think it makes sense to start with a full size frame and I can always pick up something smaller down the line if I want to be carrying more frequently. Not too concerned about being able to conceal something a little larger if it's only occasional.

I went and shot 200 rounds through the models that I outlined in my OP (VP9, G19, and M&P 2.0 Metal). I thought the VP9 fit my hand the best, but had the most recoil of the three (granted, it's 9mm and this isn't a huge deal, but I noticed the higher bore axis), and I don't love the paddle mag release. The grip on the Glock was just bad for me - the gen 5 felt like a brick and I didn't think that the grip angle was natural to point. I also don't care for the plastic mags (yeah, they're cheaper, but they also feel cheap). The M&P was really close to the VP9 from a grip perspective, but I thought the trigger was by far the best of the three. These were all range demos - I'm sure that they're never cleaned and the the M&P was probably the newest of the three - but I thought this was the best by a significant margin.

Planning to grab the M&P whenever I have time to run over there. I didn't even shoot the polymer version - from what I've read, they're close enough that I probably wouldn't notice a difference. The aluminum frame is not that much more money and the finish looks phenomenal.

Thanks again for the insight and the shitposts.

That's the right way to do it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Hi all - appreciate all the replies. I think it makes sense to start with a full size frame and I can always pick up something smaller down the line if I want to be carrying more frequently. Not too concerned about being able to conceal something a little larger if it's only occasional.

I went and shot 200 rounds through the models that I outlined in my OP (VP9, G19, and M&P 2.0 Metal). I thought the VP9 fit my hand the best, but had the most recoil of the three (granted, it's 9mm and this isn't a huge deal, but I noticed the higher bore axis), and I don't love the paddle mag release. The grip on the Glock was just bad for me - the gen 5 felt like a brick and I didn't think that the grip angle was natural to point. I also don't care for the plastic mags (yeah, they're cheaper, but they also feel cheap). The M&P was really close to the VP9 from a grip perspective, but I thought the trigger was by far the best of the three. These were all range demos - I'm sure that they're never cleaned and the the M&P was probably the newest of the three - but I thought this was the best by a significant margin.

Planning to grab the M&P whenever I have time to run over there. I didn't even shoot the polymer version - from what I've read, they're close enough that I probably wouldn't notice a difference. The aluminum frame is not that much more money and the finish looks phenomenal.

Thanks again for the insight and the shitposts.
I like your organized evaluation, and I like the M&P pistols. I often see people speak poorly of them on this board, but I have found them to be reliable and a good value.

However, where you said that the M&P trigger was the best one, that makes me wonder what trigger was in it. There are three triggers commonly found in M&P pistols in Massachusetts. These triggers are:
  • The Mass complaint trigger with a 12 lb pull weight
  • The "free state" stock trigger with about a 6 lb pull
  • The Apex aftermarket trigger with a 5 lb pull, and a cleaner break
Of these triggers, the only one I would really recommend for a first gun is the "free state" S&W stock trigger. The stock trigger is just fine, and while the Apex trigger is better, it is not that much better, and I don't think it is worth the cost. I also don't think the stock trigger really needs upgrading.

What you want to avoid is the Mass compliant 12 lb trigger. In addition to the heavy weight, these triggers have a poor feel. No one is happy shooting the Mass complaint M&P trigger.

The third option is the Apex aftermarket trigger. This trigger kit can be used to "fix" an M&P with a Massachusetts trigger, and it does result in probably the best trigger for an M&P. Since you said the M&P had the best trigger you tried, I wonder if it had an Apex kit in it.

Getting a Mass compliant M&P and then planning to put an Apex kit in it is also a possible option. But personally, I would rather have a stock VP9 than an M&P with aftermarket parts. The stock VP9 trigger is quite good. And once you start putting money into the M&P, the price gets close to the VP9. And while I do consider the M&P to be good quality, I don't think it matches HK quality.

Overall, I just wanted to be sure you are aware of the options for the M&P trigger. If you understand these options, you will be able to make an educated choice that meets your needs.

I like your organized evaluation, and I like the M&P pistols. I often see people speak poorly of them on this board, but I have found them to be reliable and a good value.

However, where you said that the M&P trigger was the best one, that makes me wonder what trigger was in it. There are three triggers commonly found in M&P pistols in Massachusetts. These triggers are:
  • The Mass complaint trigger with a 12 lb pull weight
  • The "free state" stock trigger with about a 6 lb pull
  • The Apex aftermarket trigger with a 5 lb pull, and a cleaner break
Of these triggers, the only one I would really recommend for a first gun is the "free state" S&W stock trigger. The stock trigger is just fine, and while the Apex trigger is better, it is not that much better, and I don't think it is worth the cost. I also don't think the stock trigger really needs upgrading.

What you want to avoid is the Mass compliant 12 lb trigger. In addition to the heavy weight, these triggers have a poor feel. No one is happy shooting the Mass complaint M&P trigger.

The third option is the Apex aftermarket trigger. This trigger kit can be used to "fix" an M&P with a Massachusetts trigger, and it does result in probably the best trigger for an M&P. Since you said the M&P had the best trigger you tried, I wonder if it had an Apex kit in it.

Getting a Mass compliant M&P and then planning to put an Apex kit in it is also a possible option. But personally, I would rather have a stock VP9 than an M&P with aftermarket parts. The stock VP9 trigger is quite good. And once you start putting money into the M&P, the price gets close to the VP9. And while I do consider the M&P to be good quality, I don't think it matches HK quality.

Overall, I just wanted to be sure you are aware of the options for the M&P trigger. If you understand these options, you will be able to make an educated choice that meets your needs.
Interesting - the one that I demoed definitely did not have a 12lb trigger (which is interesting because this was at a range in MA). I will make sure that I dry fire it before purchasing - will be bummed if this is the case.

Interesting - the one that I demoed definitely did not have a 12lb trigger (which is interesting because this was at a range in MA). I will make sure that I dry fire it before purchasing - will be bummed if this is the case.
Bring some snapcaps to dryfire it, m&p are good guns, just that ma version need trigger job.straighshooterjake gave good advice
and m&p guns,some come with safety ,some dont

Last edited:
The 2.0 trigger (what the metal should have) is much improved from the original M&P. The safety models shouldn't have the Massachusetts trigger. If you buy the no safety model, the apex kit is worth the money, but you can also just buy the spring kit to make it a standard 2.0 trigger.

There is no need to buy a mass trash M&P just stay away from the box stores.

Hopefully they are starting to put the better trigger like the one from the shield plus Max and all the newer guns but I don't know if that's the case yet. Most m&p's had that f***ing curved rubber band trigger that I absolutely hate yeah it works but the flexing of the f***ing shoe is just like "euuugh". /puke. Worst case Apex or somebody like that probably makes a replacement trigger assembly .

Is this limited to the M&P? The VP9 is also on the roster but has a standard 5/6lb trigger and no external safety.
Roster status has no bearing on the trigger. But yes, the cmr940 bullshit only affects a handful of guns at this point and most are smiths, and a handful of others.

Ignore all that shit and just shop where you get choices, there's zero reason to get saddled with a mass sku'ed gun. If you want an M&P just find someone selling normal ones.

There is no need to buy a mass trash M&P just stay away from the box stores.

Hopefully they are starting to put the better trigger like the one from the shield plus Max and all the newer guns but I don't know if that's the case yet. Most m&p's had that f***ing curved rubber band trigger that I absolutely hate yeah it works but the flexing of the f***ing shoe is just like "euuugh". /puke. Worst case Apex or somebody like that probably makes a replacement trigger assembly .
It's the new trigger, not the hinged one. The one on the demo was great - smooth draw, clear wall, predictable break, and nice reset. Better than the G19 or the VP9 IMO.
1719499739764.png

It's the new trigger, not the hinged one. The one on the demo was great - smooth draw, clear wall, predictable break, and nice reset. Better than the G19 or the VP9 IMO.
View attachment 892131
I would go to the mill (or some other non boxxy place) this Saturday and find a non boxxy dealer who will get you one at a decent price. I'm not a smith guy but I know a few people who have gotten those seem to like them.

That is a very nice looking gun. I like the metal frame and metal mags as well, I feel like that will hold up better long-term (I'm talking 30-40 years) than a plastic frame and mags.

Try Trex Arms' new hybrid. It's a full kydex shell for safety and retention, but with an alcantara backing for comfort.
Isn’t that designed for 4 o’clock? I thought he was asking about AIWB?

Back
Top Bottom