MA Resident buying a gun at Kittery Trading Post in Maine.

Good luck getting KTP to sell a MA person anything you can walk out the door with that will fire a shot ... other than some ammo or accessories.

Now THAT's funny. Anything you buy in ME and take possession of in ME is subject to ME sales tax.

I see this happen all the time at Cabelas in ME. Sales folks just love it when MA or NH folks challenge them.

Funny, when I was in there in June, there were signs all over the gun racks stating that if you were from out of state, their was no sales tax. Or something to that effect.

tried to get an AK there once.. and they said it wasn't on the list and that it wasn't MA approved... lol.. i had them ship it to another FFL to save me the hassle.

anything at KTP can be had from a shop in MA or NH for much better deal. I avoid that place. it's a joke. it reminds me of one of those gringo-shops in the bahamas that you pass from the airport to the hotel.

they also treat MA residents like some type of diseased pigeon. i will never forget the look on the guys face when he asked to see my LTC. it was priceless. i told him to keep the gun i will go elsewhere. that was like 3 years ago. never been back.

I get that. I was in Gartman last weekend.. They had a whole 10 or so used shotguns.. not exactly a great selection. I've been stalking the classifieds here too.. Just seems like used shotguns aren't on the market in numbers like rifles/handguns.

Not that I'm throwing stones...but I'm pretty sure that can be construed as a straw purchase.

Do you have a friend that is interested and maybe purchase a rifle you like right now that may not like it and want to sell in a couple years? I think that's about right.

I get your point. And you are right.

I must add though -

Unless the ATF can read minds, I don't see how a Friend buying a gun for himself to keep then selling it to you one day can be busted or accused with criminal intent.

hell, every single private person selling a gun to someone they know can be accused with "AHA! you made a straw purchase!"

Bottom line, I should don't give possible illegal advice, so it's all null and void.

Talk about bad timing. If it wasn't for Maura's action distracting us, we'd probably selectively go to "OMG OMG Hillary baah , BUY AMMO" mode by now.

But I wouldn't be surprised to hear the rest of the Union is gearing up for some good ole' panic.

Do you have a friend you trust about these matters ? Someone that can buy what you want now and once you're legal to own one - sell it to you ?

Straw purchases aren't something to mess with. The Feds put people away for this even though the ultimate owner did the transfer at an FFL and was qualified to own it.

Years ago, I bought an AK from an NES member up in NH. We did the transfer at a little FFL up there, so the NH resident didn't have to bring the 'evil killy' rifle into MA without a non-res LTC. The guy at the FFL turned white as a sheet when I said I was from MA. He did go through with it though, after asking a lot of questions.

JD's advice is solid here.

I've bought shotgun, AK and some other rifles up in NH without any hassle, but that was a few years ago.

Good luck getting KTP to sell a MA person anything you can walk out the door with that will fire a shot ... other than some ammo or accessories.

I've only bought a revolver from KTP, it was C&R and done as a FFL to FFL transfer. It did take an extra trip for them to have time to verify the status and it did help that I know someone who works there.

After the latest harangue by the AG, I wouldn't take bets however.

Straw purchases aren't something to mess with. The Feds put people away for this even though the ultimate owner did the transfer at an FFL and was qualified to own it.

Not to worry!!! I read just today that Barry O let well over 100 misunderstood "victims" of the "unfair system" that is the U.S. justice system out of prison early even though they were convicted of gun related crimes.[rolleyes]

I've bought a number of firearms from them. They have a decent website and are great with email pics. Remember to ask for delivery to their NH store. A five minute drive over the boarder to an abandoned rental car agency (their NH ")office" saves you the 5.5% tax

The moral of the STRAW PURCHASE is never sell anything - only then you are safe.

Just another idiotic law that needs to go.

since when?

I bought a gorgeous used Browning 30-06 w/scope no problem at all, Just asked me if I knew if the Rifle was legal in ma i said yep, he processed the sale and I was outa there.

Yep ... bought a used rem 870 up there, no hassles at all. They even treated me just like I was a real Free American.

KTP... What problem?

I bought a gorgeous used Browning 30-06 w/scope at KTP no problem at all, Just asked me if I knew if the Rifle was legal in ma (cause he didn't) i said Yep, he processed the sale and I was outa there.

I've had more problems here in mass with misogynistic FFL's some can be real condescending pr*cks.
People don't listen, aren't helpful and rude I take my money elsewhere. It's the only out of state purchase I've ever made. I was so p/o after my third purchase with yet another Ma FFL Charmer that I drove to Maine.

Thank gawd things have changed over the last 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom