Make Do Muffs . . .

(snatched from the jaws of the Net., who’d-a-thunk?)

51.gif

In a pinch

A homemade “ear plug” one that works beautifully for me, but since it is not manufactured, I cannot recommend it for anyone else but myself since there is no set of instructions for these kinds of plugs. The way that I make these do-it-yourself earplugs is to take a square of bathroom tissue and fold it into four square sections, and then fold it into a point, as in the following diagram:

earpl1.jpg

I then wet the paper and roll it into a small blob from the point. This creates a perfectly shaped piece of moist material that I can wedge into my ear canal, and which I've found blocks sound much more completely and comfortably than the foam plugs or the muffs.
If you do decide to try this out, bring an approved set of foam plugs or muffs with you so that in case it does not work, you will have them to fall back on. I'm not interested in getting sued by someone who tries it, goes deaf, and then acts as if the ringing head they got when they shot their .44M wasn't a clear enough sign that they shouldn't rely on this method. (Sarcasm mode off.)

These must be removed and remoistened after an hour or so, just to make sure that they keep their tight seal. Just a drop or two from your water bottle will do.

Back
Top Bottom