Manchester Show

Garys

NES Member
Anyone planning to go this Saturday or Sunday? One of the guys I was planning to go with is in the hospital and it looks like the other couldn't get his wife to sign his permission slip.

Gary

Depending on the weather I may head over Sunday. Just dropped a few hundred at Kittery and owe them another $300 so I may not.

Ok to buy?

This is probably a level 1 question but, as a Mass resident, can you legally buy a handgun at the Manchester show as long as it's on the "approved" list? I'm assuming that it is and that the buyer would then fill out the FA10 to register it.

Short answer NO you cannot.

You can however find a dealer that is willing to sell you a handgun, then ship it to a MA dealer for you to pick up. Though when you figure in shipping, and then a transfer fee on the other end, you probably won't save any money. Unless you are buying a pre-98 Glock that doesn't have an over inflated price tag for just being in the state!

Adam

I'll try to get up there some time tomorrow. Lots of items needing to be addressed first so I don't have a time schegule in stone. Some friends from Harvard going but they are awaiting liberty calls from spouses etc. so nothing concrete there either.

Short answer NO you cannot.

You can however find a dealer that is willing to sell you a handgun, then ship it to a MA dealer for you to pick up. Though when you figure in shipping, and then a transfer fee on the other end, you probably won't save any money. Unless you are buying a pre-98 Glock that doesn't have an over inflated price tag for just being in the state!

Adam

OR...

You can find a MA dealer at the show and have them do the transfer at their table.

OR...

You can find a MA dealer at the show and have them do the transfer at their table.

NOT LEGAL per BATFE Regs . . . they only allow dealers to operate as FFLs WITHIN the same state as their LICENSED in. [BATFE only allows a Licensee to operate at their LICENSED ADDRESS. Some years ago they extended that specifically for gun shows but restricted it to IN STATE ONLY.]

So the MA dealer could take the gun from a NH source, put it on his/her books and transfer it to you at HIS MA SHOP! That's legal and avoids shipping fees.

Having said all the above, I have watched MA dealers actually sell guns to MA residents at NH shows. ILLEGAL (Fed offense) as it is, many FFLs are/were clueless.

Good thing I checked in here. I might have otherwise missed this.

Seeing as the show is but a half-hour from my house, I'm pretty sure NH state law requires me to attend.

Think of all the non-Reilly-compliant guns I'll be (theoretically) able to purchase. Though, at this point, I think my budget might only allow for a holster purchase to go along with my pistol license which is just days away.

But...you never know. Credit cards can do amazing things.

I'm still workin on the boss to get my permission slip signed.
If I get there I'll be easy to spot.
I'll be the one with the "kid in the candy shop" stare!
The last show I made was 14 years ago!

mAssBackwards, you owe it to yourself to go to your first N.H. in-state gun show and buy something you couldn't get in MA.

I know it's darn hard for me to get out of any gunshow without buying something...but if I was in a Free State I'd really burn up my charge cards.

Have fun

This is probably a level 1 question but, as a Mass resident, can you legally buy a handgun at the Manchester show as long as it's on the "approved" list? I'm assuming that it is and that the buyer would then fill out the FA10 to register it.

No. Interstate gun sales of any kind have to be from a FFL in the originating state to a FFL in MA. Who in turn would transfer it to you.

The only exception would be a handgun on the C&R list.

Gary

I'm planning to be there tomorrow mid-morning. Funny - every time I've gone, I've parked in the parking garage for free. Maybe they've started charging - that sucks.

Will probably be wearing my Northeastshooters sweatshirt and 101st Airborne cap. This is one of my favorite shows.

I'm planning to be there tomorrow mid-morning. Funny - every time I've gone, I've parked in the parking garage for free. Maybe they've started charging - that sucks.
Last year there was a sign at the garage saying the cost for parking (Pretty expensive), but I think I heard someone say they were able to park for free.
Hopefully that is the case this year.

No. Interstate gun sales of any kind have to be from a FFL in the originating state to a FFL in MA. Who in turn would transfer it to you.

The only exception would be a handgun on the C&R list.

Gary

Gary,

PLEASE, PLEASE read the stuff that I've posted dozens of times before you give advise on gun laws!

I know that you mean well, but you are giving very incorrect legal advise to folks!

In this case, you are going overboard so nobody would get in trouble following your advise, other than in their wallet!

Thank you!

-----Correct but brief answer---------

- Any long gun legal to own in MA CAN be bought from ANY FFL in any of the 50 states, as long as the state you are in doesn't prohibit it!

- Private sales for ANY gun must be thru an FFL if the two parties do not live in the same state.

- Any interstate handgun transfers MUST be done thru an FFL IN THE STATE THAT THE BUYER LIVES!

- A C&R FFL can purchase any legal to possess handgun or long gun from anyone in the US (assuming no state laws to the contrary where obtained). No other FFL is required.

The above is brief and may not cover all contingencies. Research the rest in the Gun Laws forum using Advanced Search.

Gary,

PLEASE, PLEASE read the stuff that I've posted dozens of times before you give advise on gun laws!

I know that you mean well, but you are giving very incorrect legal advise to folks!

In this case, you are going overboard so nobody would get in trouble following your advise, other than in their wallet!

Len, Ninemil's question pertained to HAND GUNS only. Which was also the context of my answer. I thought that he would understand that since he was asking about HAND GUNS. Now, if you want to split hairs, I might have made it more clear by using HAND GUNS instead of just guns.

Had he asked about HAND GUNS versus long guns, then I would have definitely said that Interstate HAND GUN sales... However, he didn't he asked about HANGUNS.

I hope that clears up an confusion that my answer was about anything other than HAND GUNS.

Gary

I believe that the doors open at 9 AM. Let's hope that the show is as good as it was last year.

For a smallish show, I found it had a pretty nice selection. A good number of MilSurps, two or three parts dealers, and I think two ammo dealers.

All in all, it should be a nice way to spend a couple of hours on what looks like it's going to be a rainy Saturday.

Gary

The gun show appears to get validated parking of some sort. I think I only
paid a buck or something like that..... Last time (October) the lady at the parking
booth asked me wether I was there for guns or reptiles and I said "guns" and then she
said it was only a dollar. (I could be wrong about the amount, but I know it was a lot
cheaper than I expected it to be... was
definitely 2 bux or less. )

-Mike

Did you guys notice if anyone was selling AR lowers?

Yes. Lars of 50Beowulf.com (Umlaut Arms) had a couple. He also had a 50 Beowulf upper for $699.00. There were a couple of AR dealers that may have had lowers for sale.

A decent show, but I left empty handed. The best deal on 7.62X39 ammo was $175/1000 from the table that sells powder, while the ammo guy had it for $185.00/1000.

Mark

Wow, the line to get in was huge in the morning. Pretty good show though. I was tempted by a few .357's and milsurps but decided to pass. I got a sling for my yugo mauser, powder, ammo, and other supplies.

A decent show, but I left empty handed. The best deal on 7.62X39 ammo was $175/1000 from the table that sells powder, while the ammo guy had it for $185.00/1000.

Mark

Need to look harder,there was Wolf 7.62x39 for $150.00 per K on the table next to the screwballs from NY.

I needed 2 trips to the car to haul all the ammo I bought[smile]

Israeli M855
30-06 RA surp/clips/bando/spam
M193 in bandos
7.62X39
Port 5.56 BP's

The best deals on ammo are NOT from the guys strictly selling ammo.

Back
Top Bottom