Marlboro Sept. 20 & 21

I wasn't able to make it there but I was curious if there was much pistol powders at fair prices at the show?

Doubtful.

The prevailing pricing at gun shows seems to be "with this many people here, someone will pay top dollar"...

Actually powder prices were pretty good. Now I'm basing this off of rifle powders since I was not looking for pistol powder, but I imagine the pricing was similar.

I bought a pound of CE-223 for $25 (midway price is $24) and a pound of varget for $30 (midway price is $27) Both powders have been in very short supply lately and the demand is high.

I bought bulk pack (500) of Sierra 69g match kings for $115 (Brownells gets $110)

All of those items would have been more expensive if you factored in shipping costs, especially if you add the ORD fee which is @ $30

edit to add. Primers were a tad high at $38 (Brownells $32) but still cheaper if you factor in shipping or running around trying to find them.

I just checked the price on a lb of Varget I bought from bullseye in woonsocket a about 3 weeks ago, I paid $33. So in that particular case, the show price was 10% cheaper than the LGS

Last edited:
Actually powder prices were pretty good. Now I'm basing this off of rifle powders since I was not looking for pistol powder, but I imagine the pricing was similar.

I bought a pound of CE-223 for $25 (midway price is $24) and a pound of varget for $30 (midway price is $27) Both powders have been in very short supply lately and the demand is high.

I bought bulk pack (500) of Sierra 69g match kings for $115 (Brownells gets $110)

All of those items would have been more expensive if you factored in shipping costs, especially if you add the ORD fee which is @ $30

edit to add. Primers were a tad high at $38 (Brownells $32) but still cheaper if you factor in shipping or running around trying to find them.

That's not too bad. I think Shooters Outpost was charging $25 for Varget and large rifle primers were about $33-$35 if I recall. So considering how bad ammo prices are at gun shows, those are reasonable for reloading components. Thanks for the report.

So, no "show special" pallets of ammo then?

As to people saying the best is to get there early to get good deals, I always thought the best deals were had at the end of the day on Sunday, when they are packing up, so they don't have to pack it up and haul it again. This was more of a question, than an observation/answer.

just got back, wasn't too bad, got there a little after 10 no line, right it, seemed kind of empty
i wasn't looking for anything special
i did see, not to rub salt in wounds, hipoint carbines, 9/40/45 anywhere from $279 and up
too ugly for me, but they were there in large quantities.
got some targets, like to see what's out there

...i did see ... hipoint carbines, 9/40/45 anywhere from $279 and up
too ugly for me, but they were there in large quantities.
got some targets, like to see what's out there

A lot of hi points. ...

Seems MA is starting to get riddled with these. I wonder if this will cause any price drops (though $279 isn't bad to begin with).

So all and all, how was the show? I haven't bothered going to a show in ages since the price gouging started. Were there deals to be found? Or just the same old bend over prices that have been as of late.

So all and all, how was the show? I haven't bothered going to a show in ages since the price gouging started. Were there deals to be found? Or just the same old bend over prices that have been as of late.

I would say it was OK, but not terrific. There are always bargains to be had, just not bargains for everyone. I found a nice S&W Model 64 with a 3" barrel. The price is reasonable. So to me that's a bargain. You might not even look at it twice. Bargain is a relative term, I think.

I didn't see any bargains on ammo and .22LR is insane. I saw 500 round boxes of Thungerbolt marked at $60.00. I sold some of that a few months ago at half that and felt guilty. The 525 round boxes of Remington Golden Bullet (or whatever) were between $75-85. Crazy.

The ammo guys from New York were their usual overpriced selves.

I don't think it was nearly as crowded as it was there in the spring. The time I spent walking around it was easy to get right up to booths to see products. That hasn't happened in a couple of years.

We had another banner weekend selling raffle tickets. Saw some good folks I know. Found a guy from Worcester selling deactivated machine gun parts kits; Thinking about building a semi-auto MG42. Found a couple pounds of tough to find powder. All in all a good show.

We had another banner weekend selling raffle tickets. Saw some good folks I know. Found a guy from Worcester selling deactivated machine gun parts kits; Thinking about building a semi-auto MG42. Found a couple pounds of tough to find powder. All in all a good show.

Have you looked at the yugo kits ?
I've liked into building one check apex .

My next scope gonna be one of the zoom scopes. You can buy a adapter to use a AA battery vs the odd ball watch style .

If you look around you can get the Romanian scope 4x pso-1?
For around 100$ apex had them for that price for months .

I picked one up from a member for 100$ with a new style nylon case with pockets for the accessory. Came with the rubber eye boot thing , amber lens cover and cleaning rag.

Was it the guy selling the psl and svt for 1.5k+ for each ..

I saw him at 3 different shows and offered him a fair price for the svt . I told him I'd ask next year when he still hasn't sold it .

My next scope gonna be one of the zoom scopes. You can buy a adapter to use a AA battery vs the odd ball watch style .

If you look around you can get the Romanian scope 4x pso-1?
For around 100$ apex had them for that price for months .

I picked one up from a member for 100$ with a new style nylon case with pockets for the accessory. Came with the rubber eye boot thing , amber lens cover and cleaning rag.

Was it the guy selling the psl and svt for 1.5k+ for each ..

I saw him at 3 different shows and offered him a fair price for the svt . I told him I'd ask next year when he still hasn't sold it .

I may be selling my SVT. PM me with your idea of a fair price.

Doubtful.

The difference in pricing dynamic between gun shows and computer shows (less common now that Newegg and Tiger Direct fill the niche) is interesting.

The prevailing pricing at gun shows seems to be "with this many people here, someone will pay top dollar", whereas at computer shows it's been "these people know prices, we need to move volume, and the inventory will nosedive in value if we don't move it".

Rob there is a reason for this difference.

Much of the stuff sold at the computer shows was knock-offs, counterfeit product (especially SW) or in some cases hot products. I used to work some of those shows, knew many of the vendors and quit going to them when most of the stuff turned counterfeit. Thus the cheaper than retail pricing at the shows.

Someone here panned the primer prices at the Braintree show as too high. I did see some for $38 on one table and $40 on another at BR&P. I thought it was high, but haven't been tracking current pricing.

When I used to work shows there were two statements I would hear back to back "oh my god, I have been looking for one of these. You can't find them anywhere!" Followed up with "that is way overpriced, it used to be x amount" all relative. Often times marked prices are market plus a haggle percentage. I saw m1carbine mags all over the show for $25+ each for a single fifteen rounder. I got two for $15 with a dust cap. It is what the market will bear and what you will pay

I saw a mint 1951 Russian that could have been a non refurb. Price was $469 which isn't bad at all these days.

I saw that one on the end of the aisle, talked him down to 435. After a second look at the bore I decided not to. I thanked the guy and left.

I was in line at 8:30 on Saturday. Not quite to the tent by then.

It seemed pretty roomy until about 11. Left at 11:30 and there was a line getting in. I guess there were waves of people. But those last few rows. . . . were getting too tight.

Nothing I needed, so it was a wander show. But I'm at that point in life that I have to wonder if it's worth the hip pain the next day to shuffle through the show.

Saw next to no pistol powder. That I did see was pretty high - but I went VERY deep (for my shooting needs) in pistol powder before prices went crazy.

There were less knife guys this show. Usually there are the vendors, then 2-3 makers. Nothing. I guess they don't get any business.

I'm not sure if I'll be rushing out to the next show. It's a long day for just a walk in a busy room. Sadly, I'll have to get a proxy to crop-dust all of you. LOL

I didn't end up going to this one. I will probably hit the late January one just because I assume there will be less people willing to stand in line at 8:30 when it's 20° out.

That is, unless there is another panic-inducing event between now and then. All bets are off in that case.

I missed this show, got a flu shot last week and.......got the flu.
The guy I work for said it was a very slow show but there were some good prices on Colt AR15 and some of the newer dealers to the show were offering discounts!!!!

I am done buying for awhile. feeding the 50 is where all my piggy bank money is going!

Funny how that works. [thinking]

Hope you feel better soon Fred. And I hope we can find the time to shoot some time soon.

I feel much better today. Just let me know when you want to go to the range. I can meet you at Bourne. You have to try out my Tavor and Sig Sauer patrol rifle. The Tavor is OUTSTANDING. I bought the 9mm conversion kit for it and it takes 10 minutes to switch over. I think you will love it.

As to people saying the best is to get there early to get good deals, I always thought the best deals were had at the end of the day on Sunday, when they are packing up, so they don't have to pack it up and haul it again. This was more of a question, than an observation/answer.

A great question and I would assume the end of the show period would net the best deals as well. Is there anyone that has sold at shows (e.g. Len-2A) that can confirm that theory?

Much of the stuff sold at the computer shows was knock-offs, counterfeit product (especially SW) or in some cases hot products. I used to work some of those shows, knew many of the vendors and quit going to them when most of the stuff turned counterfeit. Thus the cheaper than retail pricing at the shows.
Yeah, but my observations also held true for motherboards, hard drives, and other commodity hardware.

I have heard stories (back in the days when memory was pricey) of some systems having the mobo configured to report more memory than actually present. BUT... I don't think any of the name brand hard drives and mobos (sometimes in anti static bags from an OEM bulk pack rather than retail packaging) were counterfeit.

Back
Top Bottom