• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Martin burns target free public range some info and questions

I'll probably be there between 12 and 1.
Im thinking of bring my p38 I only really wanna shoot a mag of it do who ever wants the rest of my 9mm can have it...
Def bringing my 1911 and gonna bring my sportsman58 12g... Never shot a 12g befor lol

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

I am definitely not going to make it tomorrow. Sorry. I'm hoping to get up there on Monday if I can, but it looks like my whole weekend might be a wash.

Do they object to black powder? I hunt deer in MA with a hawken 50 cal.

What are their hours/days of operation? I've heard they are sort of hit and miss.

JR

I went up today and had a nice little afternoon of practice. I would imagine they have no problem with blackpowder - it's definitely not prohibited in the rules. All it says is hunting calibers only. As someone said earlier in the thread, there was every variety of brass out there.

While I was there today I saw people shooting an AK, Mosin, .40 S&W, 9MM, 30-30, .22 and 12 guage. I doubt if anyone would care what you shot out there.

It's about a 50 yard range - there are sometimes target stands out there according to the people I met there today, but I brought my own. It's a little messy with brass - I tried to pick up more than I shot. There were actually tons of targets just left on the target stands - people were just stapling over the old ones - I took some of those out of there, too.

I did leave my target stand out there so there were a total of three when I left, but judging how shot up they were, I'm always going to bring one with me. There are two benches and we had a total of three people firing at once comfortably.

All in all, not too bad for a free target range.

I went up today and had a nice little afternoon of practice. I would imagine they have no problem with blackpowder - it's definitely not prohibited in the rules. All it says is hunting calibers only. As someone said earlier in the thread, there was every variety of brass out there.

While I was there today I saw people shooting an AK, Mosin, .40 S&W, 9MM, 30-30, .22 and 12 guage. I doubt if anyone would care what you shot out there.

It's about a 50 yard range - there are sometimes target stands out there according to the people I met there today, but I brought my own. It's a little messy with brass - I tried to pick up more than I shot. There were actually tons of targets just left on the target stands - people were just stapling over the old ones - I took some of those out of there, too.

I did leave my target stand out there so there were a total of three when I left, but judging how shot up they were, I'm always going to bring one with me. There are two benches and we had a total of three people firing at once comfortably.

All in all, not too bad for a free target range.

Yeah I love the range as it is. Some people shoot bottles and cans, as you have probably seen on the berm. I would not want to be shooting a can as the Mass F&G walks through...

I usually just staple my target on top of the already 1000 targets on there and take both benches. I am usually the only one there but I can imagine there being another person on a holiday. Glad you enjoyed it and hopefully I can meet you next time.

I must of just missed you . I got the 4 ish.
When I got there with my buddy the was two guys and some kids.

I had my Remington 12g And 1911.
My buddy brought his AR-15, .40 glock some thing.., ruger 22/45, Marlin camp .45.

e3yse6a6.jpg

We brought trash bags and picked up every thing we brought in.
Next time I'll bring a tape measure and wooden stakes for targets.

Send it!

Last edited:
its in byfield in the north shore. I've never been there myself but on the mass.gov site you can find maps of the wildlife area and then also try to use google. I hope to get there soon to work on my Savage 30-06.

Charles.

9 Orchard Street
Byfield‎ MA‎ 01922
United States
address
9 Orchard Street
Byfield
MA
United States

Works good for gps. Just look for the dirt road with the sign and drive till u see the rang on your right.there parking for 2 , 3 if u have a truck.

Send it!

Funny how busy it was - the people I talked to there said they never ran into other people on that range, but I ended up sharing the range with a total of 7 people over the course of two hours.

Warwick - you must have showed up about 1/2 after I left. Were there two older guys there when you showed up?

BTW, I could hear the trap range up the road a bit but when I drove up you had to park and walk to it, so I didn't bother. I'll explore when it's less crowded.

Yeah I heard a shot gun going off.didn't have Clays so I didn't do the hike ...
When I got there, there was a two older guys and a few kids with them...

Idk if they had a full auto, or where bump firing a ar or just shooting fast didn't really talk to them much.

Def fun little range ... Can wait till I get more toys :)

Send it!

I've never had to bring/make my own target stand.
advice?

a wooden stake with a target stapled on gonna with stand hits from an AR or 12 gauge?
Also I've never shot my shotguns outside of bird hunting so all i have is birdshot, should i pick up some buckshot or slugs to shoot on the range, or does it not matter? Preference?

Depends what u want to do with the shot gun .

If your shooting clays use what ever rounds you want for that .
If your shooting targets , slugs are the best. shot rounds will flat out destroy a stand in no time.

A single stake is not a great idea since shooting the bullseye your shooting wood , and it flops around .most just make a h shape so you not shooting at the wood .

3every time I've gone there was stands all ready btw.

I use old signs my grand make has for when she's running for office .

Just cut two stakes 4-5 ft or so long and one section like 3 ft wide. the 4-5 footers are the up rights nail the 3 footer to connect the two . Then staple some card board to it and ur done .

Let be know when your going and ill tag along . I got a clay shooter .

I'm heading up tomorrow afternoon with a friend who really has never shot before.
Meeting him at his place in Haverhill and heading over from there.
ColdDay had mentioned carpooling yesterday but that obviously won't work but if you guys want to meet there tomorrow I'm in.

so are .223 rifles legal there?

This is from our regs on hunting crow:
7. Hunting Implements: A person may hunt crows by means of a rifle, shotgun (shot not larger than #1), handgun, or archery except:

IANAL but this pretty much tells us we can use any caliber to hunt crow which means we can use it at Martin Burns range.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Is anyone planning a trip there this weekend (7/28)? I am waiting for a permit, but cant wait for the range. Would love to be a guest of someone there.

Ill probably go . Havnt shot in a few weeks and getting a type 53 .
Wanna pic me up lol. My rx8 hates there road .

Think my ride will be a bit rougher.... toyota echo. I am trying to drag my GF to the range. So if other members will be there I would love to be guests that weekend, to save money over going to glochester.

I may be heading to Haverhill tomorrow afternoon like 3ish and could probably meet you two around then if you're there. i'd be going directly to Haverhill though so I wouldn't be able to give you a ride back. I'll have a more solid idea of tomorrow later tonight though.

Back
Top Bottom