• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Residents & Southern NH FFL (or anyone) to accept Out-of-State Ammo Shipments ?

CaseHardened

Banned
Sadly, Massachusetts residents must often deal with the fact that many Out-of-State Sellers have a Policy of not shipping Ammo to Mass. I am under the belief that shipping Ammo to Mass is not illegal, but they think it is.

For Mass Shooters who require unusual Ammunition, or simply want a bargain, this is a problem.

So .... can anyone recommend a Southern NH FFL (or anyone) who is willing to accept Ammunition Shipments, for a small fee ?

(Hanns-On in Nashua used to do this, but he has closed up shop and moved to Texas.)

Last edited:
UPS/Fedex/USPS depot near the border, with a "hold for pickup" order? (I'm not up on current ORM-D ship & Hold rules from those three carriers.)

UPS is no longer sending ammo to the local UPS depot locations. If you do a hold for pickup, they only let you pick it up from one of their larger centers. I'm not sure what they would do if you had an address at one of their small locations and had ammo sent there.

a lot of shops have very comparable prices on ammo. I usually buy wolf gold but its all dried up.

I believe most local shops will accept shipments of ammo for the same transfer fee they would charge for a firearm.

This would be pretty good if buying ammo in bulk. Even at a 50$ transfer I still would be saving money.
I tried this few years back with reloading supplies. I had no luck dealers wanted nothing to do with it.

a lot of shops have very comparable prices on ammo. I usually buy wolf gold but its all dried up.

Compared to what each other? Even some small scale vendors beat the sknot out of MA prices. If they have what you want in the quantity you want.
Now MA has ammo laws for dealers also. They are also dictated by the fire department as to quantity they can have. In the realm of ammo some shops can't store or even buy enough to offer a price break.
This is why FSGUNs has the ammo trailer sales. All though Carl jams a good amount of ammo in that little shop.

I often wonder why some shops simply don't charge a fee to have legal items shipped.
Over the past 6 years I have figured out my shipping needs. Have split orders with people and have done very well finding deals and saving money. Even if the shop charged 10% of our order just to have it shipped that would be a good little chunk of money for simple receiving a box.
Last powder order was 1250$ from vendor. Same powder that no shop we tried in ma could get in the quantity we needed which by,the cheapest prices we found would be almost 1700$ with taxes.
So shops make zero instead of 125$

Ohh and there are many online vendors who won't ship to MA dealers or out of state dealers if you pay with a MA billing a dress or check.

To the OP the best way to find dealers to do things is walking into the shop and asking.

Last edited:
This would be pretty good if buying ammo in bulk. Even at a 50$ transfer I still would be saving money.
I tried this few years back with reloading supplies. I had no luck dealers wanted nothing to do with it.

Minuteman Armory in Templeton, MA will do ammo for a $25 transfer fee.

He doesn't stock reloading supplies, but puts in an order once a month for anyone who wants some to save some money, and he will gladly order anything you need otherwise.

He doesn't stock reloading supplies, but puts in an order once a month for anyone who wants some to save some money, and he will gladly order anything you need otherwise.

good to know.

I can't think of anything Illegal on any level of a NH or ME FFL-01 accepting Ammo Shipments for a fee.

If they wanted to be real safe, they could ask to see a MA LTC or FID, but I don't think even that is necessary. Probably must be 21 in NH or ME, but that's it.

I would think it would be a real quick way to make $20, and considering how low the margins are on Firearms, profitable, too.

I can't think of anything Illegal on any level of a NH or ME FFL-01 accepting Ammo Shipments for a fee.

If they wanted to be real safe, they could ask to see a MA LTC or FID, but I don't think even that is necessary. Probably must be 21 in NH or ME, but that's it.

I would think it would be a real quick way to make $20, and considering how low the margins are on Firearms, profitable, too.

I just looked at our last 3 bulk orders.
50,000 assorted large rifle primers. 1357.49 shipped
6 8# jugs assorted powder 1078.31 shipped
35,000 assorted pistol and smr primers 936.75 shipped
Few years ago I went to,many shops looking to have these items shipped to a store here in mass.
Dealer ended to do nothing but fax a copy of license. No money out of their pocket heck they didn't even need to place the orders. Just take delivery and call when it comes in. I was open to at least some sort of offer or a fee.

Now that's roughly $3375 worth of inventory the shops didn't have and where either unable to or unwilling to get. If I used the local shop prices on the primers Nd powder
Average powder 190 per 8# jug 1520$
Average primer price per 1k if they have them 32$/1000= 2720$ that's 6960$ !!!!!!
So, even at a 15% fee for the inbound orders still saving money and a,quick 500$ for the shop vs selling a few jugs of powder and few thousand primers every few weeks for most likely less of a,overall mark up.?
Any how maybe some shops or the newer shops that have opened in the past 3 years or so might see some need to set up something like this?

I just looked at our last 3 bulk orders.
50,000 assorted large rifle primers. 1357.49 shipped
6 8# jugs assorted powder 1078.31 shipped
35,000 assorted pistol and smr primers 936.75 shipped
Few years ago I went to,many shops looking to have these items shipped to a store here in mass.
Dealer ended to do nothing but fax a copy of license. No money out of their pocket heck they didn't even need to place the orders. Just take delivery and call when it comes in. I was open to at least some sort of offer or a fee.

Now that's roughly $3375 worth of inventory the shops didn't have and where either unable to or unwilling to get. If I used the local shop prices on the primers Nd powder
Average powder 190 per 8# jug 1520$
Average primer price per 1k if they have them 32$/1000= 2720$ that's 6960$ !!!!!!
So, even at a 15% fee for the inbound orders still saving money and a,quick 500$ for the shop vs selling a few jugs of powder and few thousand primers every few weeks for most likely less of a,overall mark up.?
Any how maybe some shops or the newer shops that have opened in the past 3 years or so might see some need to set up something like this?

Every Out-of-State Seller that refuses to ship to me as a Mass C&R FFL-03, also refuses to ship to ship to any Mass FFL-01. I've not encountered otherwise, though it seems you have. I've not buying components, though.

People get weird ideas about Mass. Amazon still refuses to ship Pepper Spray, though the law here was changed what, two years ago ?

And not shipping Antiques to Mass ? That's never been illegal.

I'm thinking the Sellers who won't ship to Mass probably have not been hassled for a decade. Old Memories die hard.

I'd hope at least some Sellers would take interference from Mass as a challenge - in other words - show me the law I can't ship Ammo to Mass ! America as a whole needs to grow a set of balls.

Mass Residents & Southern NH FFL (or anyone) to accept Out-of-State Ammo Ship...

UPS/Fedex/USPS depot near the border, with a "hold for pickup" order? (I'm not up on current ORM-D ship & Hold rules from those three carriers.)

Just tried to do this with Fedex. Works until you have to present an ID that matches the shipping address...Much better off shipping to a friend in NH which is what I do now.
Actually just picked this up today in NH. 1k round case of wolf gold 223 in a 40mm ammo can
View attachment 155368View attachment 155369

Last edited:
Every Out-of-State Seller that refuses to ship to me as a Mass C&R FFL-03, also refuses to ship to ship to any Mass FFL-01. I've not encountered otherwise, though it seems you have. I've not buying components, though.

People get weird ideas about Mass. Amazon still refuses to ship Pepper Spray, though the law here was changed what, two years ago ?

And not shipping Antiques to Mass ? That's never been illegal.

I'm thinking the Sellers who won't ship to Mass probably have not been hassled for a decade. Old Memories die hard.

I'd hope at least some Sellers would take interference from Mass as a challenge - in other words - show me the law I can't ship Ammo to Mass ! America as a whole needs to grow a set of balls.

Believe me I at least 10 vendors who would ship to a mass FFL dealer. No to CR for ammo a.d reloading but yes to cr firearms.
At the time when I tried the dealers in the surrounding area could not be bothered. They would either try to push there vendors inventory on me or just simple get all pisssed off I was not buying from them.
Even though they didn't have what I wanted and could not get it! I would tell them my source and ask them to fax a copy of ffl and vendor would ship.

Any how I have my sources and micro network of supplies so I no,longer need a ffl to ship to. Just more savings for me.

Believe me I at least 10 vendors who would ship to a mass FFL dealer. No to CR for ammo a.d reloading but yes to cr firearms.
At the time when I tried the dealers in the surrounding area could not be bothered. They would either try to push there vendors inventory on me or just simple get all pisssed off I was not buying from them.
Even though they didn't have what I wanted and could not get it! I would tell them my source and ask them to fax a copy of ffl and vendor would ship.

Any how I have my sources and micro network of supplies so I no,longer need a ffl to ship to. Just more savings for me.

A more "Enlightened" FFL-01 might figure out that not only is a Transfer Fee easy money (no buying Inventory, storing it, etc.) but also that C&R Collectors DO buy new firearms once in a while. And ammo, and accessories. And do recommend friends and associates to shops that are friendly.

IMHO, there are too many Gun Shops right now. Many have jumped in just recently because of the Political Climate, and see easy money.

I wish them all well, but if America becomes more Gun-Friendly, individual gun owners will see better availability, and a perhaps a little more appreciation from some shops for our business.

If I had any ambition at all, I would not mind starting a tiny Mass FFL-01 that did nothing but transfers and selling Consignments on GunBroker. No Inventory at all.

Any Audits from the Authorities would be pretty brief !

Last edited:
Ohh and there are many online vendors who won't ship to MA dealers or out of state dealers if you pay with a MA billing a dress or check..

If you run into this, or better yet, think you might... Call your credit card company. Add a second address as a billing address/shipping address, but tell them you still want your statements to come to your MA address.

When you fill out your order, use the out of state address for both billiing and ship to. It won't get bounced because the CC company has it on file.

If you run into this, or better yet, think you might... Call your credit card company. Add a second address as a billing address/shipping address, but tell them you still want your statements to come to your MA address.

When you fill out your order, use the out of state address for both billiing and ship to. It won't get bounced because the CC company has it on file.

Whooohhahahaha, like it.

Pretty much came here to say this, precisely. [rockon]

Last edited:
Sadly, Massachusetts residents must often deal with the fact that many Out-of-State Sellers have a Policy of not shipping Ammo to Mass. I am under the belief that shipping Ammo to Mass is not illegal, but they think it is.

For Mass Shooters who require unusual Ammunition, or simply want a bargain, this is a problem.

So .... can anyone recommend a Southern NH FFL (or anyone) who is willing to accept Ammunition Shipments, for a small fee ?

(Hanns-On in Nashua used to do this, but he has closed up shop and moved to Texas.)

This seems like something that the state would regard as illegal, whether or not it is. Charging a fee to receive something for you smacks of doing business without a license.

Take the advice of responses already made and talk with a regular gun dealer. They'll be happy to charge you a fee to accept and hold onto your shipment.

This seems like something that the state would regard as illegal, whether or not it is. Charging a fee to receive something for you smacks of doing business without a license.

Take the advice of responses already made and talk with a regular gun dealer. They'll be happy to charge you a fee to accept and hold onto your shipment.

so far minuteman armory is the only confirmed shop that will do this...
I found several vendors who will ship directly to a MA FFL who has a ammo sales permit and business ID #. They will accept your payment or the dealers payment.
At the time I was looking every MA FFL I tried flipped open their JSC whole sale catalog and that was the end of the search for inventory. or god forbid they only used camfour in western ma... Its all fun and if you look hard enough you will find a source or network and stay well with in the laws.

I would love to see an Ammo-Only shop open up in Mass. Well, Ammo and Components.
None of those pesky serial-numbered guns. Just "consumables".
Tractor trailer loads of bulk ammo as far as the eye could see stacked on pallets.
You just walk around with a home depot lumber cart and fill it up.
Push it up to a checkout counter, hand the 20-something girl your "Ammo Barn Wholesaler's Club" card
and whammo, cheap bulk ammo rides home with you in the old pickup.

Hell, they'd even have oddballs like .41 mag, .35 Rem, .222 swift... you get the idea.

tumblr_inline_n8phuiCDaZ1srdabj.jpg

That would be sweet but MA limits even dealers with the CMRs
Think it's 200,000 total for ammo and 100,000 primers. Hardly a price break ordering that little amount. I think this is why Carl started the ammo trailer sales.

That would be sweet but MA limits even dealers with the CMRs
Think it's 200,000 total for ammo and 100,000 primers. Hardly a price break ordering that little amount. I think this is why Carl started the ammo trailer sales.

Ok, well maybe if it's called "Ammo-To-Go" with a small 50x50 sales floor and a drive-thru. [lol]

I'd definitely love an ammo, components and accessories store.

Back
Top Bottom