• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Legislature Voting on Anti-Civil Rights Bill TODAY!

No. I don't even think that a suit regarding the changes in the law is particularly viable. States have the right to set the conditions for issuing permits as long as they don't violate Bruen. The only thing that MIGHT be violative is the list of "suitability" criteria.

When my son lived in AL, the CCW permit had to be renewed every year. Of course it took all of five minutes at the courthouse and cost $35.00. PA is $20.00 for five years. NH I think is $10.00 for residents, but I forget the term.
The whole fact that there is costs and permits for a constitutional right is rediculous on the face of the first amendment. There is no license for free speech.

When did I say they didn't?

The fact remains that they're the only real hope for modifying this legislation, and not because they care about We The People: they care about their own inconvenience, and the hit their schedule and budget will take when they have to schedule all these interviews and process the apps.

I couldn't give a shit less about the wellbeing of cops, in general, but if we can use them to modify this ridiculous bill, we should.
As I stated in my earlier post, PD's can't be happy with this bill. Did the butthurt Leftists consider the extra work PD's will have to do and the cost? Of course not. The COP's better be calling their State Senators and reading them the riot act.

Better if you douse them in gasoline and set them alight. For one thing, it doesn't involve fireARMS (just FIRE). For another, you can delight at their screams of agony, their blistering skin and bursting eyeballs, the smell of burning flesh and hair - surely a perfume pleasing to the gods!
beavis-excited.gif

As I stated in my earlier post, PD's can't be happy with this bill. Did the butthurt Leftists consider the extra work PD's will have to do and the cost? Of course not. The COP's better be calling their State Senators and reading them the riot act.
Lol, they literally give zero f*cks about the increase in workload, they just won’t do it. They will just proceed business as usual and meet with maybe 1 person a day and then say they are far too busy for more than that.

Lol, they literally give zero f*cks about the increase in workload, they just won’t do it. They will just proceed business as usual and meet with maybe 1 person a day and then say they are far too busy for more than that.
Then they will be getting many phone calls from State Reps and citizens angry at the delay. It will make their lives very uncomfortable, and they know it which they won't like.

I just re-upped so I have until 2027
The anti towns will say, "Fine, since the interviews have gone way up, your interview is now scheduled for next never."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that I don't think that this will make it into law this year.

This is mostly due to the fact that the Legislature has a lot to do within the next 9 days. The Governor has yet to kick back the FY23 state budget, and there are at least 8 active conference committees reconciling House vs. Senate versions of bills passed. That number is about to increase to 9 which will include an econ dev bill that just passed the Senate last night - this includes a provision allowing limited happy hour if that's interesting at all.

Assuming they can even get this all to the governor, he can still kick them all back and depending on timing may force the legislature to prioritize what they choose to override. If there was a month left in session, then I'd assume this to be a done deal, but given the time crunch it's entirely possible that the clock runs out and they have to try again next session, at which point it will definitely pass.

It won't be challenged directly as NY/CA have a lot more $ and stupidity behind them to be challenged. What IS a problem is: Undue burden for a constitutional right. Wait until CHEOPS - god of lazy workers is backed up so much that you apply 3 months before license expiration and you don't get it for 6 months after. When will that be? Probably within 4 years. But the CA/NY thing will be far sooner and will push the SC to clarify the "sit the F down and shut hte F up" nature of Bruen.
Well, I expire in less than 2 years, so guess what? I think I better get in line now for my interrogation. I don't want to be late. :mad:

They don't care if it's racist against those blacks. They'll just trot out some of the pet "community activists" to tell everyone how this will make black communities much safer.
Yeah, I think there is some rule where you can't use the "high cost + crazy hassle = racism" thang unless you are a DimocRAT. 🤔

No. I don't even think that a suit regarding the changes in the law is particularly viable. States have the right to set the conditions for issuing permits as long as they don't violate Bruen. The only thing that MIGHT be violative is the list of "suitability" criteria.

When my son lived in AL, the CCW permit had to be renewed every year. Of course it took all of five minutes at the courthouse and cost $35.00. PA is $20.00 for five years. NH I think is $10.00 for residents, but I forget the term.
Fees that roughly cover administrative costs of issuing the permit will hold up. If it takes 1-2 hours of time for the state, well, I bill my customers at $50-$100 an hour for labor so it kinda checks out even if it’s a stretch.

If you’re an anti, the goal is to charge as much as you can so it’s not flagrantly excessive, but is just enough to be a nuisance. $500 every year would be a lay up for a court. Even a liberal judge would be cornered by Bruen.

A slightly partisan judge on our side could easily rule against the change from 6 to 3 years based on its obvious intent to inconvenience gun owners, but it’s not likely to be that easy in MA.

The amendment passed states that LTCs issued prior to enactment of the law are valid until the expiration date they were given when issued.

Ah. Got it.

Then they will be getting many phone calls from State Reps and citizens angry at the delay. It will make their lives very uncomfortable, and they know it which they won't like.

That should be a quick and easy post-Bruen lawsuit.

Here is the guy you can thank for adding the amendment to a totally random bill (language provided by some anti-2a group I’m sure). It really doesn’t matter who added the amendment, they do it all the time to grab cash for their pet projects. The anti-2a groups will be stuffing the coffers of all the dems to get more of these surprises thrown in over the next few weeks to be sure.

His bio reads: "He is one of the leading advocates of civil rights and civil liberties issues..."

Not that all the above isn't important, but these new hurdles are not the most asinine aspects of this proposed change to licensing. Suitability is what needs to be focused on.
True, but when that does inevitably get abused, that too should be a quick and easy post-Bruen lawsuit.

The amendment passed states that LTCs issued prior to enactment of the law are valid until the expiration date they were given when issued.
Hmmm, I'm surprised the anti's allowed this provision to be included. It's time to start calling, emailing your Senators and raising hell. No reply from my Rep. Natalie Higgins which was expected so it on to Senator Cronin. I expect an email from GOAL with the bill number when it reaches the Senate.

Fees that roughly cover administrative costs of issuing the permit will hold up. If it takes 1-2 hours of time for the state, well, I bill my customers at $50-$100 an hour for labor so it kinda checks out even if it’s a stretch.
FFS, No, it DOES NOT checkout. We already pay taxes to cover administrative budgets!!!!!

Define quick and easy. We've seen both the district and circuit federal courts in the Northeast ignore Heller and other SCOTUS 2A decisions.
“Relative to the norm in gun cases in the First District.”

Again, as I’ve been saying all month, the school desegregation fight took twenty years AFTER the clear SCOTUS ruling.

maybe all you in MA should start calling your local CoPs and letting them know their workload is about to go up for no good reason. Then the CoPs can call the legislators and pressure them to stop this nonsense
the local cops could give two shts , its more revenue and more abuse for those who want a permission slip to excercise a fn right. remember when the cops pulled the pandemic shit saying it wasn't safe for fingerprints, interviews, sorry no new lic, no renewels, we aren't responding to certain calls, etc....im all for defunding the police when they abuse us, and all supporting those cops that say FU to this BS, sadly there are not any who do.

I am pretty pissed that a friend who i used to work with, who is the Barnstable rep, voted for this shit.

Just sent an email to my Rep. Natalie Higgins. I don't expect a reply and I expect her to vote yes because she's a good little apparatchik. I told her to expect massive lawsuits if this outrageous bill becomes law. Hmm, I wonder where the COP Association is on this, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy with 3 yr licenses and mandatory interviews for every renewal.
For S&G's, I looked her up...literally every bill she has submitted (without fail) is proof she is the consummate SJW...I'm going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess she'll vote in the affirmative.

If there was a month left in session, then I'd assume this to be a done deal, but given the time crunch it's entirely possible that the clock runs out and they have to try again next session, at which point it will definitely pass.
I think some of the language changes would pass under regular order. The chiefs and non-blindly partisan lawyers would take issue with the 3 year bullshit and attempts to unlawfully continue suitably in defiance of SCOTUS resulting in more changes to the language.

I can not imagine the chiefs putting up with an unfunded mandate from the legislature to do something that if they fail to do puts them at risk of federal civil rights suits.

Thus proving that the 2A is still a right of the second class.

Do you think there is any chance a fee to cover the administrative cost of running an election in order to register to vote would hold up? Processing votes and issuing LTCs costs money, both in direct expenses and personpower.

Last edited:
but he doesn't say constitutional rights
He may be basing his position off of US v. Logan which the Feds claim establishes that although gun ownership is a right, it is not a civil right. I would expect him to stand up for a persons right to vote, hold public office and serve on a jury.

For S&G's, I looked her up...literally every bill she has submitted (without fail) is proof she is the consummate SJW...I'm going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess she'll vote in the affirmative.

Correct, she never even replies to my emails. She's a total POS, far left Dem! I don't call her office because I know it will just end up in a pissing contest.

There is still time to fix the expiration issue, but only if GOAL can lobby the MCOPA to request that the expiration provision be removed because of the adverse effects on departments. Requests from ordinaries will not be considered.

Back
Top Bottom