Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Has there been any improvements to the club that would consider me to rejoing left in 2011

Depends why you left? For a while there, there were a bunch of issues when they were working out the new Loeb hardware when its reliability wasn't very good, but I haven't had that problem there in a long time.

The facilities are, to my eye, pretty good and well-maintained. There are a whole bunch of rules, some of which I disagree with, but they're there in print on the web site and it's your call whether you want to put up with them. I shoot a smattering of matches there (pistol, highpower, trap, action shooting) and it all seems fairly well-run. The board has some personalities but less so than most clubs, near as I can tell. You still need to qualify for the two longer outdoor pistol/rifle ranges, and I think you still need to wait a while (six months?) after joining to be able to do so.

amb is correct re qualification for the longer ranges.

You can certainly shoot those ranges in organized competitions. One member mentioned that if you are observed to be safe during one of these shoots, it will go a long way towards getting approval to use the ranges on your own.

Like you said, there are some dumb rules. This is not one of them.

Take a look at this aerial photo: http://goo.gl/maps/55F2i
If one errant shot put a round into the Jaguar dealership downrange from the rifle range, the place would probably get shut down. Or at the very least, face a lawsuit to stay open.

On the plus side, its pretty much anything goes in the Loeb range, as long as its safe. They even allow machine guns in there.

Don

Last edited:
amb is correct re qualification for the longer ranges.

You can certainly shoot those ranges in organized competitions. One member mentioned that if you are observed to be safe during one of these shoots, it will go a long way towards getting approval to use the ranges on your own.

Like you said, there are some dumb rules. This is not one of them.

Take a look at this aerial photo: http://goo.gl/maps/55F2i
If one errant shot put a round into the Jaguar dealership downrange from the rifle range, the place would probably get shut down. Or at the very least, face a lawsuit to stay open.

On the plus side, its pretty much anything goes in the Loeb range, as long as its safe. They even allow machine guns in there.

Don

Who cares about the Jaguar dealer. We all love to shoot cars. [wink]

It's all about the children. There is a child care facility right over the beam. For the safety sake of our children, hence the restrictive rules.

"Send it" via new 'The iPhone'

Has there been any improvements to the club that would consider me to rejoing left in 2011

You have been asking this question several times. What kind of improvement would you consider matching your standard? What are the reason you left the club in 2011?

"Send it" via new 'The iPhone'

Yes I have asked this question several times I never get a answer. Improvements im looking for are is the indoor range open mote frequently then it was . Second question do you have to pay the new member fee to reactivate your membership. I originally left because the range was always closed .

Yes I have asked this question several times I never get a answer. Improvements im looking for are is the indoor range open mote frequently then it was.
Would you like them to magically expand the range hours past 24 hours a day? That might be a tall order.

Second question do you have to pay the new member fee to reactivate your membership.
If you called MRA during office hours I'm sure they would answer this question for you.

I originally left because the range was always closed .
Are you sure you were going to the right address?

Well its official, you guys are stuck with me now! [smile]

I just got home about 30 minutes ago; after only one session here I can tell I’m gonna absolutely love this place. Had my interview and then shot for a good two hours, only reason I stopped was because I ran outta ammo (knew I should have stocked up yesterday)!!! It was nice how people actually sweep up the brass, got really tired of being the only one at the public range to do so.

I look forward to meeting/shooting with you all in the future!

I just got home about 30 minutes ago; after only one session here I can tell I’m gonna absolutely love this place. Had my interview and then shot for a good two hours, only reason I stopped was because I ran outta ammo (knew I should have stocked up yesterday)!!! It was nice how people actually sweep up the brass, got really tired of being the only one at the public range to do so.

Welcome. I just was there this morning qualifying for the 100/200 yd range. You can do this after 6 months of membership. You can sit out there all day and your wallet will thank you later. But I'm glad you enjoyed the club, it is very busy on Sundays so try going another day to avoid the crowds.

I called left a message . Ill stop by on office hours. No need to be rude , i know its open 24hrs, it was people like you were the reason I left. You made my answer clear

I called left a message . Ill stop by on office hours. No need to be rude , i know its open 24hrs, it was people like you were the reason I left. You made my answer clear
I thought it was because the range was always closed that you left? I'd tell you to make up your mind but the jury is still out on whether you have one or not you whinebag.

Now *that* was rude.

I thought it was because the range was always closed that you left? I'd tell you to make up your mind but the jury is still out on whether you have one or not you whinebag.

Now *that* was rude.

What a strange character that EFD430 is. What other range is open 24/7 365 that'll let you shoot anything indoors except steel cored ammo or .50 BMG?

*crickets*

Its funny you say that. People are a little TOO courteous. I'm a reloader and after shooting about 40 rounds in a string, I turned around to pick up my brass and it was gone. Ha. I always feel funny about pulling brass out of the ranges bucket since you are effectively taking money out of their pocket. But in this case I had to pick through the bucket to get my .45 brass. I also like to make sure I get my own brass because of all the F$%King Federal and CCI brass that uses small primers. A real pain in the butt.

Frankly, I'd suggest that people ask someone before they sweep up any brass that is not their own.

On the flip side, I asked a guy shooting an AR if he minded if I took his brass and ended up with about 100 rounds of Lake City brass.

Don

Small primer .45 ACP brass is the spawn of the devil.

Yep. Its really too bad. If .45 had been small primer from the beginning of time, then you wouldn't have to change out your primer system to switch from 9mm to .45 to .40 or .38.

I thought about buying a bunch of small primer .45 for reloading since switching my Dillon 650 is such a pain. I ended up just buying a second 650 after I found one for sale on the USPSA forum loaded with a ton of stuff I didn't need for a ridiculously low price.

My minds burnt of from the army mystic valley gun club is also 24 7 and yes im strange. I just didnt need a rude answer . I was a competition shooter in the army and enjoyed it. Mass rifle was ok but every time I went the indoor range was closed or there was no one around . Im looking for a friendly atmosphere to chat and go to competitions thats all

Hi EFD430

We are constantly trying to improve the club. We put a new backstop, target carrier and air handling systems into Loeb over the last 3-4 years. One of the problems that we encountered with the new target carrier system was the hangers kept getting shot up. This is especially true as we allow high power rifle and shotgun with slugs in the range. It took us forever, but we finally found a great solution that seems to work. We also had some issues with the air handling system, but we completly refitted the range about 18 months ago and it works great.

The only time the range is down is if we are doing planned maintenance. Obviously, things can happen, but we really don't have many problems now and the members see to be very happy.

If you want to sent me a PM with any other questions I will do my best to answer them, but I think you will find that Loeb is running great these days.

My minds burnt of from the army mystic valley gun club is also 24 7 and yes im strange. I just didnt need a rude answer . I was a competition shooter in the army and enjoyed it. Mass rifle was ok but every time I went the indoor range was closed or there was no one around . Im looking for a friendly atmosphere to chat and go to competitions thats all

I'd like to add that the indoor range (Loeb) can be unavailable for a few hours if there's a safety class or indoor event/match.

To receive notifications in advance, go to the club's website and sign up for the eblast. This way you don't get there and find out it's not accessible for one of these limited reasons. They do a good job of keeping the membership informed in advance of range closings, meetings, and matches.

I'd like to add that the indoor range (Loeb) can be unavailable for a few hours if there's a safety class or indoor event/match.

To receive notifications in advance, go to the club's website and sign up for the eblast. This way you don't get there and find out it's not accessible for one of these limited reasons. They do a good job of keeping the membership informed in advance of range closings, meetings, and matches.

This.

I think the matches are every other sunday at 12:30pm. They leave around 3 or 4. The calendar is always updated and the blast email tells me weeks in advance which ranges are closed. I love the Loeb and Fazio (50ft 22 standard velocity range) the best for indoor shooting. The 50yd McLaughlin range was well worth the 6 month wait and qualification. Nothing better than sitting down, loading up some mags, and firing a couple hundred shots off while enjoying the outdoors.

The 200yd range is a lot of fun too and my AR with 3-9x 40 Nikon scope is pretty adequate for that range. I will buy a higher powered scope in the future but my spotting scope does a fine job as it is.

Also, if anyone else is headed to MRA tomorrow, I would like to have a partner to shoot on the 100/200yd range. PM me if you want to join. :)

Hi-
I'm looking for a club to join and would like to take a look at MRA. The website says you can come by Sunday mornings, but I just want to see if I need to make an appointment to get shown around or if I should just show up this Sunday. Anyone know?

Thanks,
c-king

yup, just stop in the office. You can get a tour. I will probably be there Sunday a.m. in the office - say hi!

Does anyone know if you have to be a member to attend to MRA fun day shoot? or is it open to the public? Ive never been to one and I am interested in checking it out, so if anyone has any info on it please let me know whatever info you have like, how much it costs or what I should expect. Ive been to the MRA before it is a very nice place, I plan on joining in the future

Does anyone know if you have to be a member to attend to MRA fun day shoot? or is it open to the public? Ive never been to one and I am interested in checking it out, so if anyone has any info on it please let me know whatever info you have like, how much it costs or what I should expect. Ive been to the MRA before it is a very nice place, I plan on joining in the future

here's a link http://massrifleforum.com/index.php?showtopic=787

Back
Top Bottom