Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

The minutes are under the sign in sheet at the club. Also, many people have been claiming that the Glock 36 is very snappy and have been bashing it pretty bad. If anyone wants to try my new beauty, let me know and we can have a range trip. It is such a beautiful gun and conceals so easy. It is even slimmer than my SR9c and is 4 oz lighter. Sorry for the ramble, been drinking all night. See you all at the range soon!

Hi all, new member here but what a great site this is. I've been reading it almost daily since I discovered it a month ago.

Got a few questions for members of MRA in Woburn. First though, a quick blurb about me: I have roughly 25 years of firearms experience. I have a MA LTC Class A, I own two hand guns (revolver and pistol) and if I find a club where I can rekindle my love for rifle marksmanship I'd be in the market for a rifle. I've never joined a club and Woburn/MRA looks great. I live in Somerville. I'm just really tired of relying on public ranges (namely Manchester Firing Line, their hours, the costs, and the distance I have to travel).

A few questions.

1) I plan on stopping in Sunday morning to submit my application for membership and submit dues payment. How long from submitting my application until I become a card-carrying member?

2) If/when I'm a member, can I bring a guest on occasion? I'd like to bring my wife once in a while, or a buddy.

3) Anything else members might be able to tell me about MRA? Looks like a great community, outstanding facility. I'm excited and open to any/all feedback and info.

Thanks, all.

1. Once you pay the membership costs, you have to sign up for the safety course and test. Then after completion and getting an approved test score you set up an interview. Back when I joined, I had my test/course 2 weeks after I made the payment and scheduled the interview 2 weeks later. All-in-all I am guessing around a month or so from payment to card pickup. I was like a kid on Christmas the day I got my key fob. Also, if you plan on shooting on the 100/200 yard range and 50 yard range, you have to qualify for them 6 months after the join date. Hope this helped.

2. You're allowed to bring guests but only the same guest 3 times a year. Family members (children and/or spouse) are unlimited.

3. It's a great range with some great members. Some are slobs but you find them anywhere. If you spot someone suspicious or doing damage to the club or putting people in harms way, tell a club official and slip a note under the office door. All this will be covered during the orientation. I love the 24/7 hour access to the indoor ranges and am usually alone late at night/very early. Also, it is one of the only ranges I have been to which allows controlled fire and full auto guns (if you have the license).

-Al

Last edited:
Al, thanks for the great info. That's exactly what I was looking for: roughly 1 month from application.

How long have you been a member? Anything else you think I should know?

Really helpful, thanks again.

Last edited:
January 2012 but have been going there with a friend off and on for about a two years. Not really much else, just talk to the guys/gals in the office and just be polite and responsible.

Yeah I would. It is closest to me, well Mystic Valley in Malden is closer but that is only pistols and 22 rifles, indoors, 50 feet. My father belongs to that range and only goes when I ask him to take me. Other than that, I go to MRA at least once a week, mostly by myself, and I am an active member there. I love the various ranges and most members there. There is usually no one ever upstairs (50ft, .22 standard velocity range) and it is nice to go up there in the winter.

I fyou are going by on Sunday you might want to bring your wife along. There is a ladies match that morning and it might give her a chance to meet some female enthusiasts. Also, a spouse membership is inexpensive to add. My wife went from going once to humor me to wanting her own membership so she wouldn't have to wait for me inside of six months!http://www.massrifle.com/index.php?...t=1343581200&end=1343588400&gcid=1&Itemid=102

Oh that's very cool. It'd be great if my wife would go from humoring me to being more interested. I think watching women fire pistols one-handed in a controlled and safe environment just might do the trick.

Thank you.

There will be a womens only safety class this fall if she shows any interest. Also, each June they have the annual womens instructional shoot aka Ladies Day where the club is set up to give them a chance to try everything from pistols to ARs to skeet shooting. My wife went last year then brought 4 friends this year. the two that didnt have LTCs have signed up for classes and the others have filled outmembership applications.

It varies. There are some events such as: the annual Women's Instructional Shoot (all firearms supplied); the Gerrish 200 yard bench match; Wednesday night trap; Sunday morning 5 stand; and action matches that are open to non-members (with their own guns) as well as some of the 200 yard rifle matches. There are often "loaner" guns for members for some of the events as well (if arraigments are made in advance and you bring your own ammo).

Just got home from signing up for a membership.

Went in with my fiancé (man I gotta get used to calling her that!), got the tour from Bob; who might I add is one of the most personable people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting; and I’m kicking myself for not doing this 6 months ago like I had originally planned!!

Gonna be a long couple weeks but I really look forward to meeting/shooting with you guys!

Went in with my fiancé (man I gotta get used to calling her that!), got the tour from Bob; who might I add is one of the most personable people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting; and I’m kicking myself for not doing this 6 months ago like I had originally planned!!

Gonna be a long couple weeks but I really look forward to meeting/shooting with you guys!

Bob is a great guy. He weighs out some of the dicks that work there and I always see him if I have an issue. Congrats on the membership as well, you'll love it. Report any stupid activity to the office. You wouldn't believe some of the crap I've seen people do. And sweep up brass etc etc. Of course you know all the rules. We need more people like you.

Bob is a great guy. He weighs out some of the dicks that work there and I always see him if I have an issue. Congrats on the membership as well, you'll love it. Report any stupid activity to the office. You wouldn't believe some of the crap I've seen people do. And sweep up brass etc etc. Of course you know all the rules. We need more people like you.

Why thank you sir, not quite a member yet though! Hopefully I will be within the next 3 weeks, haven’t taken a written test in about…… hmm couldn’t even tell ya actually, haha.

Congratulations on your engagement. If your fiance' / wife gets interested there are spousal memberships available as well in case she wants to hit the range without you but be careful, you wouldn't be the first man to feel like Frank Butler (Annie O's husband).

Welcome aboard - read the rules, handle the guns safely during orientation and there should be no problem passing the test. I'm sure I'll see you at the range in the near future.

Congratulations on your engagement. If your fiance' / wife gets interested there are spousal memberships available as well in case she wants to hit the range without you but be careful, you wouldn't be the first man to feel like Frank Butler (Annie O's husband).

Welcome aboard - read the rules, handle the guns safely during orientation and there should be no problem passing the test. I'm sure I'll see you at the range in the near future.

This ^^

Congrats! and yeah, study the range rules and you should be fine [smile]

Well, I had my interview this morning and got my door pass. Woo hoo. My first MA club membership.

I'm looking forward to this. 15 min from home with 24 hr indoor access.

I did learn something from my first Sunday AM visit to Loeb. Bring muffs AND plugs.
I had forgotten that rifle calibers were allowed and wasn't able to double up. I got quite a surprise when the guy next to me with the 16" AR with a Miculek brake squeezed off his first round.

Ha.

Don

Well, I had my interview this morning and got my door pass. Woo hoo. My first MA club membership.

I'm looking forward to this. 15 min from home with 24 hr indoor access.

I did learn something from my first Sunday AM visit to Loeb. Bring muffs AND plugs.
I had forgotten that rifle calibers were allowed and wasn't able to double up. I got quite a surprise when the guy next to me with the 16" AR with a Miculek brake squeezed off his first round.

Ha.

Don

Yup, I always double up in there.

Welcome and see you around sometime! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I'm a new member and have a question.

I just made plans to go to North Dakota pheasant hunting in October. I need to freshen up my skills.
I've been shooting pistol and rifle mostly for the last couple of years.

I know that the range provides the shells. So i was wondering if they had 20 ga on hand.
I'm planning to shoot my 20 ga field gun at the trap fields tonight for practice. But if they don't have 20ga steel ammo, I'll bring my trap gun.

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don,

Yes the club has both 12 and 20 ga.

Come by tonight and have some fun.

Hi all, I'm a new member and have a question.

I just made plans to go to North Dakota pheasant hunting in October. I need to freshen up my skills.
I've been shooting pistol and rifle mostly for the last couple of years.

I know that the range provides the shells. So i was wondering if they had 20 ga on hand.
I'm planning to shoot my 20 ga field gun at the trap fields tonight for practice. But if they don't have 20ga steel ammo, I'll bring my trap gun.

Thanks,

Don

I have no idea. I just joined. It seems fine to me. The biggest "issue" is the strict rule environment. Although I completely understand why. MR is deep deep behind enemy lines and as such is one badly placed shot away from getting shut down.

Well, I shot trap tonight with my little 6 lb, 20 Ga Beretta 687 with the 26" bbls. Not exactly an ideal trap gun. I left the IC choke in and seemed to do ok. I don't feel like there were any shots that I should have his but missed because of holes in the pattern. I realized that with all of those years of hunting behind a flushing dog I'm on the bird pretty quick. So the IC choke seemed to work well. Everything I missed, I knew I was going to miss when I squeezed the trigger. In some cases I was behind. In other cases I stopped my swing as I fired. Even still 17/25 is not too embarrassing. And I even remembered to take the safety off every time.

The competitor in me has to resist the urge to break out the left handed 1100 special trap that I have at home. Though I wonder if it is choked too tightly for use with steel. Actually, I'm not even sure if I should use it with steel.

One interesting thing was that after about 20 shots, I was feeling it in my shoulder. I decided not to shoot a second round just because I've avoided a flinch all these years, no point in pushing my luck now.
Next week or the week after that. I'll know when I'm good to go 2 rounds with my little 6 lb gun.

Don

Back
Top Bottom