Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

will this club ever get a place to practice shooting bird and buckshot on a a range that isn't trap?

Don't bet on it. They have to use steel shot for environmental reasons (real or not, that's the rules they're stuck with) and there's no way anyone is shooting buckshot outdoors in Woburn.

I assume you mean "doesn't use clay targets" when you say, "isn't trap", is that right? If not, then show up any Sunday morning and they do five stand. It's not trap. There are 8 throwers in various locations that present the targets in at least five different ways.

Yeah pattern testing but also just nice to not have to use the outdoor range with slugs only.

I do understand their concern. I spent some time talking to one of the BOD members and he told me of some really really idiotic goings on among some members. Like someone ignoring all the signs and shooting
an SKS or something like that on the 50 ft outdoor range. (pope?)

When I applied this summer, at one point we all went into the Loeb range and demonstrated safety/proficiency. I was astonished at the number of rookies who were in my group. Overall thats a great thing for shooting. But it makes running a club more difficult.

Next time you are at Loeb, take a look at the target holders, and the walls, and the floor. Its amazing how that stuff gets shot up. Imagine someone shooting at a 12x12 target run down 25 ft with a load of buck. He'd blow the target holder right off the wire. It would be a nightmare.

I do understand their concern. I spent some time talking to one of the BOD members and he told me of some really really idiotic goings on among some members. Like someone ignoring all the signs and shooting
an SKS or something like that on the 50 ft outdoor range. (pope?)

When I applied this summer, at one point we all went into the Loeb range and demonstrated safety/proficiency. I was astonished at the number of rookies who were in my group. Overall thats a great thing for shooting. But it makes running a club more difficult.

Next time you are at Loeb, take a look at the target holders, and the walls, and the floor. Its amazing how that stuff gets shot up. Imagine someone shooting at a 12x12 target run down 25 ft with a load of buck. He'd blow the target holder right off the wire. It would be a nightmare.

Yep. It can make Helen Keller look like Annie Oakley. [rofl]

the new member qual is done indoors.

If you want, go to the mass rifle website and sign up for their eblast. This way if for some reason the office closes, you'll get an email.

Are the Darkotic, Dirty Bird, or other Birchwood Casey targets allowed at MRA? The range rules (posted on the website) say "Only MRA approved targets and targets certified by the NRA are allowed".

Last edited:
Are the Darkotic, Dirty Bird, or other Birchwood Casey targets allowed at MRA? The range rules (posted on the website) say "Only MRA approved targets and targets certified by the NRA are allowed".

Correct, the rules state that only NRA approved targets allowed. But like most MRA rules, it's crazy and just makes it harder for shooters to practice. Most members I see use glowshot/ Shoot'N'See targets and no one says anything. This rule is a joke. [laugh]

Correct, the rules state that only NRA approved targets allowed. But like most MRA rules, it's crazy and just makes it harder for shooters to practice. Most members I see use glowshot/ Shoot'N'See targets and no one says anything. This rule is a joke. [laugh]

I asked about this rule during my interview since they didn't define what an MRA approved target was. I was told that they just didn't want people using "human shaped targets". Leaving the legality of those targets aside, I figure rules are rules until you petition to change them. There are plenty of other targets that are just fine.

Mudfish is correct. The board does not want pictures of people or oversized targets. What I mean by oversized are the 6 ft police type silhouettes of a human figure. The reason behind this is if you aim at the knee your round is going to hit the floor, or if you aim high you may hit a ceiling baffle.

As far as the glow targets they are just fine. I use them on the 200 yard range so when I am practicing I can see where my shot went. The 12 inch birchwood casey target is almost a perfect match for the black of the offhand target.

I hope this helps.

The info I've gotten has been the same. No human targets, and if you are going to use anything oversized, be aware of where the bullet is going at all the extreme angles of the target.

One other thing. While human targets are against the rules, humanoid type targets, like old school silouettes, IDPA or ipsc are fine.

Back
Top Bottom