Mc Elhiney's in Waltham

I think the guy is a little bit old and means well, lets cut him a bit of slack.

I respectfully disagree. Age shouldn't be used for an excuse for being a asshat to another person. If the buyer was a youngster in there causing trouble should we cut him slack because he's just immature?

I know that the owner has had health problems and I'm not trying to stir the pot. I just don't agree that the buyer, who was trying to give him some money and support his business, should be treated rudely.

Age may not, but Alzheimers (or another age related disorder), is absolutely an excuse for maybe forgetting someone and or the laws. Not justifying anything but, he has always been a fair guy and may have had a bad day.

It wasn't a big deal that he didn't recognize me. That doesn't make any difference in the long run. I won't ever shop at his store again because of the way he talked to me.

I believe someone said it in an earlier post in this thread, "there is not a single redeeming factor of that gun shop."

Age may not, but Alzheimers (or another age related disorder), is absolutely an excuse for maybe forgetting someone and or the laws. Not justifying anything but, he has always been a fair guy and may have had a bad day.

I Absolutely agree. I lost my Mom a year aga to Alz. She was only 64 and fought it the last 8 years. When I spoke of age I meant ONLY that. I would cut ANYONE slack who had an impairment such as Alz. It is dreadful.

If the owner has an illness that explains his action I wish him only the best.

I've only been in his shop once, about 10 years ago. I didn't buy anything then and decided that I would give him a single dime.

I certainly have sympathy for anyone with serious health issues -- my father passed away last fall and my father-in-law this February. But that doesn't change the fact that I didn't like the way he treated me then.

YMMV.

I have never had any luck with Mc Elhiney's.

Law Enforcement Equipment is a good place though. Walter (the owner) is a good guy and will go out of his way to help you. His prices aren't bad and I have found some of his ammo prices to be downright GREAT. All depends on what you are buying.

Mc Elhiney's:
I bought a .22 rifle from Eldon. Things I learned.
Rule#1: Do not argue with him
Rule #2: Do not haggle with price
Rule #3: Do not make him move around the shop

Last edited:
+1 on Law Enforcement Equipment. Walter is a great guy and I puchased 3 guns from him before.

Mc Elhiney's:
I bought a .22 rifle from Eldon. Things I learned.
Rule#1: Do not argue with him
Rule #2: Do not haggle with price
Rule #3: Do not make him move around the shop

4: Do not go in the store.

Guy seemed lucid to me when I went in there, but he was still rude.

I've been in there yes he is def a cranky old man. However, I found his prices to be decent and if his wife is there she is VERY friendly and now seems to be there most times. Just a side note MOST of his guns are on consingment so dont haggle prices with him.

He was the only dealer in about a 50-mile radius from downtown Boston who had those truncated Winchester .32 FMJ's for my new Seecamp. He had two 50-round boxes left and I snatched 'em up for a not-unreasonable $24.95 ea. (cash only). Yes, he's "old school" and perhaps a bit ornery, but he had what I needed when nobody else did. Bottom line: If you enjoyed the movie "Gran Torino," you'll enjoy shopping at McElhiney's.

Seems not to keep consistant hours, I've tried several times to go there to see the grates down. Hope all is well.

I stopped at his shop this morning because it was actually open when I drove past. This was my second visit there ever, as the first time was not a pleasant experience for me 5 years ago.

Ed and his wife were there, along with 5 or 6 customers, mostly talking amongst themselves. Now Ed doesn't know me, but those of you who have met me know I'm not a kid anymore. I asked his wife to see what looked like a damascus bladed sheath knife in his display and his wife asked Ed if it was okay to show it to me.

Ed's response was "get a drivers license from him and hold it so I'll know who it was when I shoot him as he runs out the door with it."

Excuse me? Total disrespect and disregard for a customer. I didn't hand over any ID, but asked his wife who the knife maker was. The name didn't impress me, and I walked out the door. For the LAST time.

I stopped at his shop this morning because it was actually open when I drove past. This was my second visit there ever, as the first time was not a pleasant experience for me 5 years ago.

Ed and his wife were there, along with 5 or 6 customers, mostly talking amongst themselves. Now Ed doesn't know me, but those of you who have met me know I'm not a kid anymore. I asked his wife to see what looked like a damascus bladed sheath knife in his display and his wife asked Ed if it was okay to show it to me.

Ed's response was "get a drivers license from him and hold it so I'll know who it was when I shoot him as he runs out the door with it."

Excuse me? Total disrespect and disregard for a customer. I didn't hand over any ID, but asked his wife who the knife maker was. The name didn't impress me, and I walked out the door. For the LAST time.

I would have called him on it but I don't be going in there again to do it.

I contacted Eldon's shop today and left a voicemail question, I was surprised to receive a phone call only a short while later from his wife, (Mary) We spoke for a brief while. Eldon is in the hospital and on intravenous, so he's out for a good (6) weeks or better per my discussion with Mary. Eldon has helped me in the past and I find him a standup & interesting gentleman (old-school principals and practices) Eldon's thoughts are with us gun owners, our rights, and our values. I see Eldon's name on trophy plaques at the gun clubs I frequent in my handgun league. Eldon was quite a marksman with .22 rimfire indoor competition. His scores are quite impressive. Let's try to keep Eldon in your thoughts. Kindest regards, M.S.

I stopped by the shop last Wednesday (12/23) and Mary was there. She said she's trying to keep the place open and doing business. She told me she's doing more internet sales via Guns America then over the counter.

She tells me that Eldon is in a Re-hab. He's on IV for an infection he's fighting. At this point he can't walk but the strange thing is that the tremors he's had for years are gone.

She figured he'll be back in the shop in about a month. I'm keeping a good thought for the man. Please do likewise.

poor old guy. i have sympathy for sick, grumpy and ornery old men. my grandad was just like that before he died back in 92'. He was a well meaning, old school type of guy who got sick as hell later in life and couldn't do much of anything but sit on the porch blasting away at squirrels with his .22. I would imagine its similar with eldon (although i've never met the guy) . I would like to stop in there as im a five minute drive away. who knows perhaps I could get a job there when im done at Pennsylvania Gunsmith School. Im sure Eldon's old lady could use all the help she can get. My grandad was an ornery a**h*** cause he was sicker than a dying dog... ya gotta take that kinda shit with a grain of salt.

I was in to see Eldon a few weeks back and he and Mary were there but Eldon looked like he was in tough shape.

Buddy of mine called there last week to ask about the hours he was open. He said the phone rang and rang and finally a woman (Mary) picked up and said the store was closed and they had sold all the stock to an auction house in NH.

I just checked his listings on Guns America and it reads 0.

Anyone been by there lately? Anyone else hear anything?

The past few days I have noticed that his GunsAmerica website showed 0 inventory. I have purchased several firearms from him in the past. So I have been checking his GunsAmerica website listing for years just to see if something catches my interest. I have some mixed thoughts about his attitude and customer relations. I will say he always treated decently, I guess he knew I had spent some money in his shop.
What really pisses me is that all of those Massachusetts guns that were in his shop are now unavailable to massachusetts residents. This really really pisses me.
John

i went their once and would never go back ever again it was a few years ago right after i graduated high school and had some gift money for ammo.

me and a friend (both had fid and were over 18) walked in and looked around i asked him for some 7.62x39 and i wanted a lot of it i go to pay he looks at my id and told us that since we were not 21 we could not buy ammo i told him it was 18 to buy rifle ammo he told me it was store policy and to get out

neither of us have been back again ever

i ended up going and picking up a case of ammo at four seasons with no bs involved

Back
Top Bottom