Mc Elhiney's in Waltham

I've been in there. Overpriced, very sparse inventory,...
There are absolutely no redeeming features to the shop or the shop owner.---M1911
He does have some uncommon guns, but at a recent show (I think it was this shop) I saw a S&W 945 (used) for $800-$900 more then what I paid for mine (new).

Respectfully,

jkelly

He might be, but I will never spend my money there, if he rips people off for using a CC.[frown]
That's the price he must pay for doing business and taking a CC. It's his choice to accept a CC not mine.

I didn't know the law was such but many shops offer better pricing for cash or check. They may not be so bold to tell you to your face but when you negotiate price you'll get a better price paying cash. I'm all for consumer rights but this is one issue that doesn't really protect the consumer. Stores have to pay credit card companies % fees and they must recoup these costs somehow. So from my perspective my cash payments are subsidizing your credit charge transactions.

This 'consumer protection' law really protects the State Dept. of Revenue in collecting its sales and income tax since cash transactions are more likely to be 'off the books'.

I've been in there. Overpriced, very sparse inventory, and the shop owner is a arrogant ass.

There are absolutely no redeeming features to the shop or the shop owner.

From his shop, you can make it to Four Seasons or Collector's Guns in 30 minutes. Either of those shops has 10 times the inventory in guns, ammo, and accessories.

+1

I'm all for consumer rights but this is one issue that doesn't really protect the consumer. Stores have to pay credit card companies % fees and they must recoup these costs somehow. So from my perspective my cash payments are subsidizing your credit charge transactions.

It's perfectly legal to offer a cash discount. What is against the law is to advertise a price, and then when the customer goes to pay, saying, ok there's a credit card surcharge to add on to that. Doing that is false advertising.

Mr McElhiney

I have to make 1 comment about him. He is the only shop who would sell target pistols designed specifically for competition. He evidently has been through some run around and kept selling! I respect that, but I guess the money to fight had to come from somewhere.

I have to make 1 comment about him. He is the only shop who would sell target pistols designed specifically for competition.

Even when they weren't "Mass Compliant".....?

He evidently has been through some run around and kept selling! I respect that, but I guess the money to fight had to come from somewhere.

Which was cause and which effect?

Stop in

Nothing like first hand face to face conversation to get the straight scoop. When I stop in I let him know right away whether I'm there to make a specific purchase or only to browse. This way he can attend to business. He is friendly to me whether I'm there to spend or not. He doesn't open until after 1030.

Got one revolver from him some time ago. Smooth transaction, no problems.
It was what I consider a collectors item, so based on the Blued Beauty's condition, price was fine to me. He was pleasant/friendly enough on the phone, and in-person...
That's from my limited one time experience.

Picked up my first used AR from Eldon 10 years ago or so. Working in Waltham/Watertown, I was able to stop in the shop frequently, and never felt unwanted or pressured. Was happy with the purchase and the times that I spent just browsing in the shop.

I recently purchased a firearm from Eldron that he had posted on Guns America.
Smooth transaction, he was a real gentleman and I would purchase again from
him in the future.

Last edited:
Went in there with a couple of my non-gun obsessed friends and he was very rude.We were all 15-17 at the time,but we were dressed well (t-shirts and jean,and not the ridiculously baggy ones,normal ones).He did have an old Colt Police Positive for 200 that was in good condition,but thats it.

Went in there with a couple of my non-gun obsessed friends and he was very rude.We were all 15-17 at the time,but we were dressed well (t-shirts and jean,and not the ridiculously baggy ones,normal ones).He did have an old Colt Police Positive for 200 that was in good condition,but thats it.

Considering the size of his shop and the general neighborhood, and a couple of kids enter who could not be eligible to purchase anything; perhaps you caused him some anxiety, hence his response to you and your buddies?

It's pretty easy for me to get to his shop, but I went in once, and thought he was overpriced. I also didn't care for the experience. Something about the shop or the people in it just raised my hackles. It's also a PITA to park in the area, and most of the time when I've driven past, he's either closed or has the steel roll-up still down covering half his store front. LEA is just up the street and at least for me, a much more pleasant experience. I've never been back.

Went in there for the first time last week.....My family is orig from Waltham area and my Grandfather was a city employee and attorney for over 50 years, and the older gentlemen asked if I knew him when he looked at my last name on the LTC. A very nice gentleman overall, an avg selection of long guns, about 5-7 lugers that looked in great condition including one with a 16" barrell. Overall though, I would not purchase a gun here. I thought the prices were inflated, and more sad was the fact that I felt bad asking the owner to see any guns because of his apparent frailness....It would take 5 minutes to hand me a riffle...I just didn't like feeling bad asking to see more then 1 gun.

ELDON OLD DUDE's ARE OK

Well for WTF its worth, the guy is old, has the shakes and he dont have the prettiest shop around, but he is doing his thing and it aint so bad there. I found what I was looking long and hard for in his shop and no, when I found it, didn't try to chistle him down. Knew he sees cash as king, (s'ok with me) and went to the bank to withdraw before I went. Eldons living the dream......and hes a cool old guy. You guys who smell cat piss must be wearin yer jockeys too tight. I'll be back to see you Eldon.

I was working in the area today, I must have had the hours wrong. They were closed, I really wanted to buy at least some ammo today. I was there around 10:30 and again around 11:00. I'll try to swing in next time I'm in the neighborhood. I like to support the local shops.

I made my first purchase in years from Eldon today. He said he is usually in the shop 12-6 but you should call first.

Nice guy, a lot of old Colt's in the case.

About a year ago I dropped by the shop 4 different times in two weeks. All different times of the day and he was never open. Thats about all I can say about the shop because I gave up trying to go there.

Let me start by saying that I really wanted this gun store to just be adequate because I live right around the corner from it, and if I need to make a quick stop to get some ammo, it is much easier than going to Four Seasons/Collectors.

I've been to his store twice, and will never, ever go again.

The first time I went was right after the 7/3 Shirley shoot. I'd spent up all my 7.62x39 and wanted to check out his price on it, so I stopped in that Friday with my guest and picked up one box of ammo. I told him I wanted to try out a box before I bought more. He had no problem with that, but said "You'd better buy it now, it'll all be gone by tomorrow." I was willing to take the risk. No problems. Although I will say he never asked for my FID until after I gave him the money, and said "don't you need to see this...?"

He also wasn't very smart. He asked me which gun I'd bought and told him a Yugo SKS. He asked how much I paid, and told him $250. He then laughed and told me I should've shopped around more and gotten a better price. I have done my shopping around, and I didn't find what I wanted for less than $250. He didn't have a single SKS in stock, either, so I don't know why he was pretending he could've sold me one for cheaper. He then told me "You shoud've bought the Chinese one, not that Middle Eastern crap." Excuse me?

http://www.esg.br/cee/europa/former_yugoslavia.jpg

Not the middle east, jerk.

I spent that box of 20 rounds the following Sunday at HSC. The ammo worked fine and I went back to McElhiney's on Monday with three friends of mine, one of whom had just been there three days earlier with me. The four of us walk in and it is immediately clear that he does not recognize me or my friend. That was a little odd, but no big deal. I tell him I'd like 10 boxes of the same ammunition I bought Friday and he lays it out on the table and calculates the total. Decent price. He then asks for my FID, and I give it to him. He does a few punches on his calculator:

"No sale."
"Sorry?"
"I won't sell you the ammunition, you're not 21."
"I don't understand, I just bought a box of this from you three days ago."
"Then I made a mistake. I'm not selling you the ammo."
"I'm sorry, I don't understand why. I've bought it from you before and I own the gun to shoot it."
"And I've got the ammunition and I've got the store, now you can leave."

If he doesn't wish to sell to people under 21, that's fine, that's his choice. But he was a complete a**h*** about it. He's lost my business (not that I spend thousands of dollars) and the future business of three of my friends and anyone else I get into shooting. I've never even remotely had the same experience at FS, Collectors, or any other gun store/range I've ever been to. Each treated me with the same respect they'd treat someone two or three times my age.

Oh, and by the way, there's a much nicer and friendlier gun store about 30 seconds from McElhiney's where River Street hits Newton Street. I would highly recommend this store after only one visit there. A very nice gentleman runs the place and he was very helpful despite having a packed store. I don't know the name of the store other than it has a big sign above the door that says "GUNS." It is extremely easy to pass by if you don't know to look for it.

Last edited:
Oh, and by the way, there's a much nicer and friendlier gun store about 30 seconds from McElhiney's where River Street hits Newton Street. I would highly recommend this store after only one visit there. A very nice gentleman runs the place and he was very helpful despite having a packed store. I don't know the name of the store other than it has a big sign above the door that says "GUNS." It is extremely easy to pass by if you don't know to look for it.

Law Enforcement Equipment. 305 River St Waltham, MA 02453-6007

(781) 894-2879

I have never had any luck with Mc Elhiney's.

Law Enforcement Equipment is a good place though. Walter (the owner) is a good guy and will go out of his way to help you. His prices aren't bad and I have found some of his ammo prices to be downright GREAT. All depends on what you are buying.

Back
Top Bottom