Mc Elhiney's in Waltham

I had to smile when I read the thread on Roach's in Cambridge.

This shop is across from Waltham City Hall.

There is a fairly wide selection of pre-owned long guns and some interesting hand guns. I'm not up on prices, but it did not seem like there are any bargins to be had.

He has some archery and fishing stuff too. A couple of nice, older stuffed animals. Real nice guy to chat with.

I was looking for reloading supplies for my .45 ACP. He was able to sell me a sleeve of large pistol primes, but he did not have any cast lead bullets. He does have some older reloading machines around, and a decent pre-owned shotgun selection.

Its sort of a step back in time, and fun to find on Main STreet inside of 128!

Notice how his ads prominently feature guns NOT on the AFR?

Check it out and ask him how he can advertise guns it is illegal for him to sell. [roll]

Scrivener said:
Notice how his ads prominently feature guns NOT on the AFR?

Check it out and ask him how he can advertise guns it is illegal for him to sell. [roll]

Maybe not to MA residents on some, but he can sell out of state. It's a web page.

"Maybe not to MA residents on some, but he can sell out of state. It's a web page."

Actually, it's a quarter-page ad in The Outdoor Message.........

Actually The Outdoor Message also goes to people in RI and some other states.

Since he's already gone "a round" with the AG before, I'm sure that Eldon knows what he's doing!

C-pher said:
LenS said:
Actually The Outdoor Message also goes to people in RI and some other states.

Since he's already gone "a round" with the AG before, I'm sure that Eldon knows what he's doing!

But man is he eccentric, isn't he?

Yes, and as much as I like Eldon and Mary as people, I've not been excited by what I find in his store (or at the gun shows) or the prices being asked for the goods.

I have bought one rifle from that shop. It was not something that
had high collector value (a nice manlicher 1903a3 sporter) so the
price was fair. He does not haggle, though, so it can be a bit frustrating
when a price is just a little unreasonable... He does do *a lot*
of online and mail order business, which is one reason he has
items for sale that are not OK in MA. He buys out estates some times
and has some cool stuff (like a whole bunch of browning shotguns he
just got this week).

F

firtree said:
I have bought one rifle from that shop. It was not something that
had high collector value (a nice manlicher 1903a3 sporter) so the
price was fair. He does not haggle, though, so it can be a bit frustrating
when a price is just a little unreasonable... He does do *a lot*
of online and mail order business, which is one reason he has
items for sale that are not OK in MA. He buys out estates some times
and has some cool stuff (like a whole bunch of browning shotguns he
just got this week).

F

Maybe we can go out there sometime and check them out.

Best bet is to call ahead and make sure he's open. I've driven down there a few times when it's supposed to be open, only to find them closed. :x

Ressurrecting this thread.

Just a quick note on my experience in this shop yesterday:

I went in to buy a gun that Eldon had listed on GA, and found out that it had already been spoken for, so I left my name to state that I was interested in buying it if the first buyer re-neged on the deal.

Well he did, and I received a call yesterday saying that the gun was still available, and needless to say I jumped all over it and drove right down there to pick it up.

One good point in Eldon's favor: He followed through and called me first, as I was the next person on the list for the gun.

Now some of the bad stuff:

I always carry a gun lock in my car, 'cause you never know when a deal will come your way. I informed him that I had a "Mass-compliant" lock to lock the gun with so I could leave with it, and he told me that there's a STATE LAW that he HAS to sell me a trigger lock! Is this true? I can't count how many stores I've been in (and bought guns at) and have never heard of this once![rolleyes]

Then, he gives me the total and I pull out my debit card, and he tells me that it's going to cost 5% extra if I don't pay cash or by check! Now this is, in fact illegal for sure (as has been discussed in other posts), and the kicker is: Amex (which charges the highest fee to the retailer at 3-4%) still does not result in a 5% upcharge! Visa, MC and Discover all hover around the 2.7 to 2.95% range.

5%?!?!?!? WTF?

AND.... The whole point of retailers asking "credit or debit" is that if you use your debit card in debit mode (entering your PIN), the cost to the retailer is considerably less and most of the time zero.

I informed him of this, and that I would be glad to use my PIN to save him the fee, but I was told that it would be a 5% upcharge!

I say again: WTF?

I had a long discussion with a very ethical and upstanding gun dealer in Mass (I'll give you one guess who I'm talking about) and he wanted to offer a "cash discount" for gun purchases. Being the stickler for complianace and detail that he is, he actually contacted the AG's office and asked what the actual ruling is, and it is this:

The price that is clearly listed on the tag of the item is THE price. Period. No upcharges of any kind for any reason. No signs that say "All prices reflect a cash discount". Nope, sorry, no dice. IANAL, but this is what he was told verbatim.

You can then, add text on the tag that states "3% (or whatever number) discount for cash".

5% my ass.......

Plus the place smells like piss.

3 strikes and you're out. [angry]

I went in there one time and he pretended not to hear me when I tried to talk to him. I lived 3 minutes walking distance from his shop and never came back again.

I walked home and called him on the phone and asked him why he wouldn't talk to me. Was I to young? Dressed like a punk? He said he couldn't hear me. 7 feet away across the counter in an empty shop and he can't hear me. I don't think so.

That was one event that left a big impression with me because it was the first time in my life I had been stereotyped and treated like that. I supposed it beats having him take advantage of me.

Last edited:
Just to give you some idea of true cc charges. Costco is absolutely one of the cheapest providers out there. Others charge ~0.5% higher. There is also usually a $20-30/month "service fee" for the privilege of being able to take ccs. [I looked into this extensively for my computer business a number of years ago, but never made the leap.]

http://www.novainfo.com/costco/index.asp

Costco Member Pricing for VISA/MasterCard Transactions*

Retail Merchants = 1.64%
Plus 20¢ per card-swiped transaction

Mail/Telephone Order Merchants = 1.99%
Plus 27¢ per transaction

**Rates for American Express, debit and corporate purchasing cards may vary.

Each of the warehouse stores have similar deals.

Made the purchase simply due to the fact that it was impossible to pass up. Any other time I would have promptly told the store owner to shit in his hat.

He always has this sign up at the gun shows saying 10% off any new handgun. When looking at his prices I firmly believe he bumps them up at least 10% so he makes maximum profit. I've talked to him once or twice and I can say that he is pretty much stone deaf. I think he's been like that for a while now as I visited his shop once several years ago and he was cupping his hand behind his ear back then to try and hear me.

If I am not mistaken under MA law the dealer is required to sell you a gun lock unless the firearm comes with one, however I know a few dealers who don't do this especially if they know you well.

If I am not mistaken under MA law the dealer is required to sell you a gun lock unless the firearm comes with one, however I know a few dealers who don't do this especially if they know you well.

This is 100% correct. The LAW actually does NOT allow the dealer to use your lock . . . he must SELL you a lock (unless the mfr supplies one). Some dealers are nice to us about this, but it's actually a violation of law. Of course . . . nothing illegal about you "donating" a lock to a dealer and (as long as it is on the MSP approved lock list . . . yup we got one of those too, but only for dealer compliance) . . . and he could donate it back to you at no additional charge.

Dumb law . . . but what do you expect from mental midgets on Bacon Hill.

This is 100% correct. The LAW actually does NOT allow the dealer to use your lock . . . he must SELL you a lock (unless the mfr supplies one). Some dealers are nice to us about this, but it's actually a violation of law. Of course . . . nothing illegal about you "donating" a lock to a dealer and (as long as it is on the MSP approved lock list . . . yup we got one of those too, but only for dealer compliance) . . . and he could donate it back to you at no additional charge.

Dumb law . . . but what do you expect from mental midgets on Bacon Hill.

I thought this only applied to NEW gun sales. But then again, I have been wrong before. (just ask my wife)

I visited this shop one time due to all I read about it. I found that it was not
a unpleasant experience. It wasn't anything special either. The owner was
cordial and when I asked a question he replied in a respectful manner.

His inventory is typical of what I find in a small shop. His prices are not the
best in the world but not outrageous either. It's not on any track that I have
going on so it's likely I will never visit it again as there was nothing there that
was special about it.

My fav's are FS, Collectors, ZHA, Titegroup, Rileys. Anyplace else I either
haven't got to yet or don't want to go back. I did go to Hunter's in Weymouth
the other day and that is one well stocked shop. A little pricey, but if they
don't have it, it doesn't exist 'cept for reloading stuff as I didn't see any of
it there. I might have missed it though.

I just went to his store to pick up some shotgun shells. His prices were pretty good in my opinion...3.79$ for a box of 5 12 gauge..

He doenst stock New guns..he only sells used guns....At first he seems to be unhelpful and kinda ignored me, but after asking him some questions, our chat became very long (he chatted with me even until his store was closed)......

I have to agree that the 5% surcharge for using credit card is rediculous! But a customer today I saw just wend ahead and paid with CC along with the additional 5%...I guess there are people out there that dont mind....

Btw, Eldon tells me he has 2 undergrad degrees and an MBA! I guess he knows how to run a "business"...

I've done several deals with Eldon over the years. Like a lot of dealers he is a bit excentric. However he does seem to have firearms that no one else has.

No, he doesn't haggle on price. He figured he'll get his price from someone at some point. I guess he figures a slow higher profit is better than a quick low profit.

He is deaf in one ear. He's been hard of hearing for years and the last time I was there he told me that he lost all the hearing in one ear on a plane ride recently.

The shop is a bit of a dump but I usually check what he has online and then call him on the item.

He does a large internet business as well as gun shows.

Hope that helps,

I have to agree that the 5% surcharge for using credit card is rediculous! But a customer today I saw just wend ahead and paid with CC along with the additional 5%...

I thought it was illegal to charge a surcharge for using a CC?[thinking]

I thought it was illegal to charge a surcharge for using a CC?[thinking]

Not illegal but Visa and Mastercard policy is if you accept their cards you can't charge a fee. HOWEVER, you can have a discount for cash or check, so it's effectively the same. Many gun stores and other mom and pop retailers will give a cash discount.

+1 for Eldon, he's a nice guy. He doesn't have a big stock of new shinny guns but will order whatever you want at a good price and his place always has something interesting laying around.

Last edited:
Not illegal but Visa and Mastercard policy is if you accept their cards you can't charge a fee.

Are you sure about that? [thinking]

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140d-28a.htm

Chapter 140D: Section 28A. Cardholder discounts; surcharges; finance charge

Section 28A. (a)(1) With respect to a credit card which may be used for extensions of credit in sales transactions in which the seller is a person other than the card issuer, the card issuer may not, by contract or otherwise, prohibit any such seller from offering a discount to a cardholder to induce the cardholder to pay cash, check or similar means rather than use a credit card.

(2) No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check or similar means.

(b) With respect to any sales transaction, any discount from the regular price offered by the seller for the purpose of inducing payment by cash, check or other means not involving the use of an open-end-credit plan or a credit card shall not constitute a finance charge under section four if such discount is offered to all prospective buyers and its availability is disclosed clearly and conspicuously.

+1 for Eldon, he's a nice guy.
He might be, but I will never spend my money there, if he rips people off for using a CC.[frown]
That's the price he must pay for doing business and taking a CC. It's his choice to accept a CC not mine.

Last edited:
I've been in there. Overpriced, very sparse inventory, and the shop owner is a arrogant ass.

There are absolutely no redeeming features to the shop or the shop owner.

From his shop, you can make it to Four Seasons or Collector's Guns in 30 minutes. Either of those shops has 10 times the inventory in guns, ammo, and accessories.

Back
Top Bottom