More reliable than a Glock 19?

It's been a while since we've been an "unreliable" pistol. I don't believe that one gun is significantly more reliable than another in the same class. Moreover, modern guns are meant to take a serious beating, as in thousands of rounds fired without cleaning. I shoot cheap steel ammo out of all my guns. All go bang every time. I've been shooting for 8 years and only had a handful of failures.

Glocks are reliable, and so are many many others.

Every gun I've ever owned has been very reliable except for Taurus. I bought 3 way back in the day and all three went back for repairs twice and all 3 broke again. Absolute garbage. But any gun from a reputable maker like S&W, Glock, Ruger, etc have all been reliable. Even my old Star model BKM never gave me trouble.

Outside of revolvers, Sig standard stuff like 226/229 is very tried and true.

Also are about the simplest guns to strip, could do mine by feel.

Nothing wrong with a Glock either but in terms of lifetime I'd say big a Sig in 9mm is as close to forever/reliable as you get in an auto loading pistol.

Chuck Taylor shot his Glock 17 over 250,000 times over eighteen years and then wrote an article:
The following Glock 17 torture test piece was written in 2007. It’s been sitting in our archives and we thought it was ripe for the Ballistic Magazine audience. So without further ado, enjoy:

Late in 1988, I purchased a Glock 17 9mm with the goal of determining for myself if the then-new pistol was indeed as perfect as Glock had claimed. After all, even back then we were in the age of the “Buyer-Beware!” syndrome. Many manufacturers were making claims of perfection so exorbitant that they actually seemed laughable.
At that time I simply didn’t believe Glock’s advertising claims. Their initial offering, the G17, was something never before seen and featured a completely new—and untried—design. I resolved to find out for myself if the G17 was indeed as good a pistol as Glock claimed.

Eighteen years and 250,000 rounds later, after immersion in both fresh and salt water dozens of times; being tossed into the sand, dust, snow, mud and grit; being presented from a holster and fired constantly in temperatures ranging from sub-zero to over 100 degrees; and even being left on the bottom of the ocean for six months, my conclusion is that the test Glock 17 is without a doubt a heck of a pistol.

I have several revolvers that are near or past the 100 year old mark and they still work fine. That doesn't mean that I think revolvers are more reliable than autos. I think anything mechanical can break. I don't believe one is inherently more reliable than the other but carrying spare ammo and reloading is easier and faster for MOST people with an auto.

I've several 1911s 9mm,10mm and 45 acp 2 Berattas and a CZ 75 don't recall any malfunctions off hand. I'm not a Glock fan boy they don't fit my hand well but for a first time gun buy a double action revolver hands down granted 5 to 8 shots depending on model but unless something breaks no real learning curve. Oddly enough Paul Harrel has a video on the subject was put on you tube last night.

Ll

I see this as an opportunity to bring one 'Over from the Dark Side'...

I agree. Why are you toying with this guy? If we can even get him from being a complete anti to a fence sitter then we are winning the war.

Give him good advice, tell him the process, and see what happens next. Could be the next NES top poster who knows? I've seen it happen before.

Nothing wrong with a Glock either but in terms of lifetime I'd say big a Sig in 9mm is as close to forever/reliable as you get in an auto loading pistol.

Yeah as long as you get one that wasn't made during the dark ages of sig QC. In the past 10 years or so a lot of turds have come out of that
factory. Thankfully it's not the average. IMHO nearly ever brand has fallen in "initial quality" though if you want to call that a
thing, although most have rebounded. The Obamascare/Obamascare2/Sandy hook era had a lot of pits of despair, as manufacturers slacked on
QC to get guns out the door, knowing that 50% of the people buying them would never fire them. [rofl] Once Obamascare 2 came along, that
basically ended the era of the market being dominated by enthusiasts and the manufs figured out they could get away with murder. Sig and S&W churned
out a lot of freshly baked turds... Glock too, on occasion. (the G17 Gen4 rollout was a dumpster fire).

-Mike

Last edited:
Yeah as long as you get one that wasn't made during the dark ages of sig QC. In the past 10 years or so a lot of turds have come out of that
factory. Thankfully it's not the average. IMHO nearly ever brand has fallen in "initial quality" though if you want to call that a
thing, although most have rebounded. The Obamascare/Obamascare2/Sandy hook era had a lot of pits of despair, as manufacturers slacked on
QC to get guns out the door, knowing that 50% of the people buying them would never fire them. [rofl] Once Obamascare 2 came along, that
basically ended the era of the market being dominated by enthusiasts and the manuf figured out they could get away with murder. Sig and S&W churned
out a lot of freshly baked turds... Glock too, on occasion. (the G17 Gen4 rollout was a dumpster fire).

-Mike
Thankfully my 19 Gen4 hasn’t had a problem.
I’ve been very lucky when it comes to my guns.

If we're done comparing Glocks to revolvers, can someone recommend 9mm vs .40 vs .45? You know, since we're beating old horses and all...

OK, since you insist, I just got back from the range with my glock 23. (40 caliber if someone didn't know). Installed a conversion barrel to 9mm and shot it for the first time. I found the 40 cal mag would shoot ok with 9mm but occasionally stovepipe, but the 9mm magpul mag fired great. so I am set for the zombie apocolypse, one hand gun and I can scoop whatever ammo I can find. Don't tell you're buddy to do this, he probably couldn't comprehend it.

As far as 9mm vs 40?? now that I have both barrels?? I really DGAF ;)

Here is a timely piece by Clay Martin: Clay's COVID-19 Gun Buying Guide for Noobs

Found on the first page:

"If even 10 percent of the people now panic buying convert to the church of “Guns Are Fun,” we have gained a powerful set of allies. We have a chance, right now, to set the gun grabbers back 30 years. So not only am I going to help you, I am going to encourage all of my friends with guns to help you. And that, my dears, is an army in itself."

Wise man.

I've never shot an HK that handled recoil well, but haven't tried a VP9. The UPSc 9mm I had was really snappy, I wasn't a fan, especially after trying a CZ.

My EDC is a VP9. I also have a Glock 19 Gen 5 that I bought for my wife. The HK is a little snappier, not crazy or anything, but most likely from a higher bore axis. The VP9s trigger right out if the box feels better too.

Back
Top Bottom