• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cabela's is more insane than you think

Cabelas Hudson sometimes gets some cool old guns in their used guns section. I've bought a few used guns there. My daughter likes shooting the Browning BL-22 I bought there years ago. We've had a lot of fun with that gun.

Cabelas Hudson sometimes gets some cool old guns in their used guns section. I've bought a few used guns there. My daughter likes shooting the Browning BL-22 I bought there years ago. We've had a lot of fun with that gun.
Same up in Scarborough. I can't think of any new-manufactured gun that I could possibly want, but there are thousands of used ones I can see myself buying. I'll buy a used gun that I want from whoever has it to sell. I've bought a few from Cabelas because they had it, and I wanted it.

I went to a sporting event once and they made my Father show an ID to buy a beer. He was about 75 at the time. How stupid can they be?

Thank you absolute laws and lawsuits. "You served my little Johnny." "He looked 18." "You offended me, I'm 22." "You look 16." Solution: Card EVERYONE.

I was listening to the tale of Francesca Gino. Prof at Harvard that very may well have made up the data on 4 of her studies that got her her PhD. Whoops. So Harvard puts her on admin-leave.

What does she do? She sues Harvard for $25M. Oh, and the 3 researchers that found that her data is bogus? She's suing them as well. Because, if you question my integrity, I'll just sue you into oblivion. WOW!

Been to Hudson and Foxboro never had a problem.
Last one was 1/2 hour in and out, Never got a chance to check out the gun library
Must be the Super Secret Squirrel handshake everyone needs to know.

Been to Hudson and Foxboro never had a problem.
Last one was 1/2 hour in and out, Never got a chance to check out the gun library
Must be the Super Secret Squirrel handshake everyone needs to know.
Which one was the half-hour store (for a firearm(s) purchase, I assume). 🤔

I'm guessing Foxboro on a slow day. [laugh] Did I get it right? :D

OMG.. another "shit on the big box stores" thread... we really need a MEGATHREAD for this...

it is what it is.. you can't/won't change it. Accept it for what it is, all the good and the bad that goes with it. Shop there or not.. nobody GAF.
cabelas online has some deals from time to time, but it indeed totally escapes me, WHY would anyone go to their brick and mortar shop, ever.

Cabela's online has some deals from time to time, but it indeed totally escapes me, WHY would anyone go to their brick and mortar shop, ever.

I go because I have gift cards and will buy powder, primers (if they have them) and other stuff they won't ship to me.
Yep. Like I said earlier, it's all about the (discount priced) gift cards... which turn so-so prices on a variety of things into decent deals. [thumbsup]

Further, combining discount gift cards with sale prices really works out nice if it's on something you really want or need. 😎

cabelas online has some deals from time to time, but it indeed totally escapes me, WHY would anyone go to their brick and mortar shop, ever.
as I said.. it is what it is..

I get points on the club card, so I get tons of free shit.. mostly ammo, and occasionally a free gun.. never really had an issue with buying a gun in either Berlin or Foxborough. I also go there for my hunting and fishing stuff, as they have the best selection in the area.. If someone has another H/F shop near me, I'm all ears.

I do have a bunch of gun stores that I check first for that stuff.. 1st Round Academy, Bullseye, Competition.. Gartman is nearby too, but they're not really stocked well with accessories, ammo, or reloading stuff.

as I said.. it is what it is..

I get points on the club card, so I get tons of free shit.. mostly ammo, and occasionally a free gun.. never really had an issue with buying a gun in either Berlin or Foxborough. I also go there for my hunting and fishing stuff, as they have the best selection in the area.. If someone has another H/F shop near me, I'm all ears.

I do have a bunch of gun stores that I check first for that stuff.. 1st Round Academy, Bullseye, Competition.. Gartman is nearby too, but they're not really stocked well with accessories, ammo, or reloading stuff.
i get all that you and others said, but, as of late i became extremely selective in what service and vendors i choose to deal with and support. it`s a personal choice, of course, but, any little thing matters.
the only huge exception is amazon, that is nearly impossible for our household to live without now, as it is so damn convenient. but i reserve my right to abuse it in any possible ways.
but we do try to buy local, deal local and shop local.

KTP is median box. But yes not nearly as retarded as full big box level.

View attachment 838049
Only reason I go there is store cred trades arent aweful sometimes, and they carry guns that no shop near me would even think of having. Higher end fudd guns and stuff, where I need to look at the wood quality and fit and finish before I drop change on it.

Or.....they have a dump it sale because its been sitting forever......my last gun there i got $200 off of a 600 dollar gun. And that 600 dollar price was the best I could find online.

Long time ago, when they still sold ammo, I bought a bulk pack of 9mm at Dicks. It was behind the counter and I asked if I could get one of those. When he handed it over to me, he let out a big sigh and held onto it a bit. He said "250 rounds?" I said "yep". I can only imagine the moonbatery going on in his head.

Before calling him a hypocrite, or trying to, realize that Amazon sells a bunch of shit that you can't even get locally. 90% of the shit I buy on Amazon or Ebay is stuff I can't get locally.

Like for example I go to my local ACE hardware store or text my friend whose fam runs a TRUE VALUE local hardware store for HW store stuff, before I go to like home deepco etc... but sometimes, they just don't have the item I need.

When I buy computer parts for my business I buy a lot of stuff from Micro Center, because even though its a chain, its not as ConHugeCo as the others... but the problem is, sometimes its just a pain in the ass to go there.

Before calling him a hypocrite, or trying to, realize that Amazon sells a bunch of shit that you can't even get locally. 90% of the shit I buy on Amazon or Ebay is stuff I can't get locally.

Like for example I go to my local ACE hardware store or text my friend whose fam runs a TRUE VALUE local hardware store for HW store stuff, before I go to like home deepco etc... but sometimes, they just don't have the item I need.

When I buy computer parts for my business I buy a lot of stuff from Micro Center, because even though its a chain, its not as ConHugeCo as the others... but the problem is, sometimes its just a pain in the ass to go there.
Oh calm down. I wasn't calling anybody anything. That's bullshit! [slap]

The good wife and I just got a good laugh out of that post because we feel the same way. We'd love to be able to buy everything locally, but it just isn't possible any longer. Amazon has taken over the world and there's no turning back. We don't like it that way, but there's not much we can do about it. [dance]

totally escapes me, WHY would anyone go to their brick and mortar shop, ever.
Whether it is clothes, or gun stuff, or other sports stuff, I want to hold it in my hands. With clothes, I want to feel the fabric and try it on for size. I don't understand what is so hard to get about that. I tried returning something to Amazon, and ended up just giving it away instead.

Well folks Cabela’s/Bass Pro in Hamburg, Pa. can be added to the “do not go” list !
Recently went on a trip down stupidity lane while buying an assault black powder handgun, which BTW Cabela’s will. No longer ship !!!!! They now require that you fill out a 4473 before they will sell you the item !
Bad enough that we have to deal with the woke politicians and the idiots that voted for them but in addition we have to deal with corporate stupidity !

Well folks Cabela’s/Bass Pro in Hamburg, Pa. can be added to the “do not go” list !
Recently went on a trip down stupidity lane while buying an assault black powder handgun, which BTW Cabela’s will. No longer ship !!!!! They now require that you fill out a 4473 before they will sell you the item !
Bad enough that we have to deal with the woke politicians and the idiots that voted for them but in addition we have to deal with corporate stupidity !

I realize this question is a little off topic for this thread, but I'll still ask, is this legal?

A black powder handgun is not a firearm by federal rules. I thought it was illegal to do a NICS check for something that is not a firearm. It obviously is a waste of the resources of the NICS system. And I vaguely remember at some point a state wanted to do NICS checks for tasers or something, and were told that they could not.

Which one was the half-hour store (for a firearm(s) purchase, I assume). 🤔

I'm guessing Foxboro on a slow day. [laugh] Did I get it right? :D
When did bass pro get a gun library and where is it?
Spent some of that time trying to decide 2 or 3 inch barrel

I realize this question is a little off topic for this thread, but I'll still ask, is this legal?

A black powder handgun is not a firearm by federal rules. I thought it was illegal to do a NICS check for something that is not a firearm. It obviously is a waste of the resources of the NICS system. And I vaguely remember at some point a state wanted to do NICS checks for tasers or something, and were told that they could not.
It is a violation of your NICS account and likely the conditions of your FFL to use NICS for any purpose other than a background on a firearm purchase. So doing a 4473 on a non-firearm is a big no-no.

Same up in Scarborough. I can't think of any new-manufactured gun that I could possibly want, but there are thousands of used ones I can see myself buying. I'll buy a used gun that I want from whoever has it to sell. I've bought a few from Cabelas because they had it, and I wanted it.
Now that I think of it I picked up a 1957 totally unfxcked with 16 Gauge Ithaca Deerslayer that was minty as hell, at Cabelas in Scarborough, and the purchase although longer than a normal wasn't that painful if I remember correctly. Nothing like the PA debacle, or the typical MA shit show in Hudson.

This was before Ass Pro took them over........ Painful or not, I wasn't walking out without that gun.

Like Pat said...Cabelas or not...sometimes you gotta take it over the back if you find a nice old iron of unobtainium.

It is a violation of your NICS account and likely the conditions of your FFL to use NICS for any purpose other than a background on a firearm purchase. So doing a 4473 on a non-firearm is a big no-no.
But, what if a State calls a BP firearm a "firearm" and says it needs a check? Would the FFL then be in trouble for using NICS, or does NICS specify only 'modern' firearms?

As most people here know I am a FFL both here in MA and also in NH. I have the NH location solely to take delivery of stuff from places that refuse to ship to MA. Until today, the most restrictive conditions I have run into were places that required not only a NH FFL but also that the CC mailing address showed as NOT MA. OK, fine. I have a CC with its address as my NH FFL.

My customers know I offer the service to take delivery in NH and bring stuff to MA (for a fee of course; rent, gas, time and FFLs cost money).

I have a customer that really likes 22LR handguns and goes on missions to find certain models. The gun he is currently looking for he has only been able to find at a Cabela's in ME. He contacts them to buy and they let him know they will NOT send any used guns to MA. No exceptions. He tries to reason with them and cajole them, all to no avail.

So he asks me to contact them and buy into my NH location for him. No probem. I contact Cabela's. They immediately ask "do you also have a FFL in MA?" well, yes, but why do we care? Oh they know my customer and they don't want us bypassing their policy of f*cking over MA residents. He agrees to escalate to his management for an answer. An hour later he calls back. "We will not transfer the firearm to you". End of discussion.

So this is a new level of insane over the top self inflected compliance maliciousness. If they have any clue that it MIGHT end up in MA, no. I am a NH FFL buying with a NH CC shipping to a NH address that is on my CC and no, they will not ship it.

If anyone needed another reason to avoid big box stores...
It takes a good hour or so to walk out of Cabela's to purchase a gun. AT the very LEAST an hour. Nothing against the employees. All good folks. Once Bass Pro bought them.................... Better off going to a stand up , stand alone FFL, who can find things "eventually". Perhaps that piece will show up on GB, or GI, or something like that. We know how you try Mr. Crackpot. Only a Crackpot would try that hard................

Back
Top Bottom