More than 450 people in Florida ordered to give up guns under new law

These protective order laws will always garner many more submissions for confiscation and approvals than a process rooted in bright-line delineations would. To the police and judges, there is almost no downside to submitting and approving these orders (absent being held liable for egregious, personally-benefiting, intentional abuse of the power). Approving one without enough evidence means being overruled later by a higher court; that's about it. All the downside for ANYONE in the decision chain comes from not approving the one (out of hundreds or more) that turns out to relate to a suicide or murder - that'll feel like a career-ending risk for the officer or judge.

These laws turn the burden of proof on its head - not really through legal wording, but through the psychological impact on those in the decision chain. Much like "suitability" carry laws do.

I am sure the antis are aware of this effect.

These protective order laws will always garner many more submissions for confiscation and approvals than a process rooted in bright-line delineations would. To the police and judges, there is almost no downside to submitting and approving these orders (absent being held liable for egregious, personally-benefiting, intentional abuse of the power). Approving one without enough evidence means being overruled later by a higher court; that's about it. All the downside for ANYONE in the decision chain comes from not approving the one (out of hundreds or more) that turns out to relate to a suicide or murder - that'll feel like a career-ending risk for the officer or judge.

These laws turn the burden of proof on its head - not really through legal wording, but through the psychological impact on those in the decision chain. Much like "suitability" carry laws do.

I’m beginning to think these “protective “ laws are the beginning of something worse than court clutter !! Let’s go cavanaugh !!

So the Florida law instituted a waiting period? Didn't we already establish that waiting periods are unconstitutional with the Brady bullshit?

Edit: nevermind, it was just stripped out of the final version.

So the Florida law instituted a waiting period? Didn't we already establish that waiting periods are unconstitutional with the Brady bullshit?

Edit: nevermind, it was just stripped out of the final version.

I'm down in Florida now. It wasn't stripped out (or, if it was, every dealer is still employing it). They did include a provision for same day sale if you have a CWP ("permit to carry"). Not that it matters. If I lived here as a resident, I'd just order online and start the process, since guns are ridiculously expensive down here.

NES dealers... you should explore getting into bonded warehousing... not for cops when they confiscate...but for victims of this law. I'm sure there are guys out there biting their nails right now for when this law goes into effect.
Pre-emptive warehousing

Scotty is a republican ... I'm not sure that voting Republican works anymore. f*** that party.

Maybe not, but this fall's election is one (R) who claims he is Pro-2A vs. 5 (D)'s - 4 who outright state that they WILL pass an AWB ban (one by using a loophole via Executive Order).

Unreal the way that people don’t seem to care about 5A let alone 2A and piss away their rights to feel safer

I'm down in Florida now. It wasn't stripped out (or, if it was, every dealer is still employing it). They did include a provision for same day sale if you have a CWP ("permit to carry"). Not that it matters. If I lived here as a resident, I'd just order online and start the process, since guns are ridiculously expensive down here.

I was referring to the final version of the Brady bill, not the shitty state law. Waiting period wasn't tested in court, but the constitutionality of forcing state agencies to conduct background checks was. I mixed up what the Printz case was about.

Imagine how the anti’s would react if a judge could simply sign a petition that would restrict a parishioner from practicing their religion? Or sign a petition that would restrict opinions in a newspaper or article?

I’m in no way religious, but I’d FIGHT for their rights to worship even though a restriction against religion wouldn’t affect me.

It’s truly a sad state of affairs.

Protective Orders have been taking firearms away from men unconstituionally for a long time. This sounds like that on steroids. Women need ZERO proof in order to get a Temporary Protective Order yet your guns get taken away and in order to get them back you have to schedule a totally separate court hearing.

Governor Baker is a poor excuse for a Republican

the rest of Republicans don't think that or willing to do anything about it. They either have to start kicking dirtbags out of the party or we should assume that Rs don't care because Ds are worse and they will get votes anyways.

I'd love to see Rs with conscience create an offshoot of party, but that would just split R vote and we will end up with Ds. We need to stop voting for least terrible tasting turd sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom