• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin nagant question

Good point about just buying a new gun vs. working on the bore. Find another with better rifling, you'll have 2 guns and won't have to worry about ruining the first.

that's weird! doesn't look counterbored, just worn out. wtf?

The weirdest thing is the metal from the crown to where the rifling starts does not seem to be different from the non-rifled parts of the barrel. It just kinda seems like the rifling just kinda ends before the barrel is done.

Maybe oddly specific cleaning rod damage? Will have to try out the thing at long ranges first.

Last edited:
never seen anything quite like that. On my counterbored mosin, its pretty obvious its been drilled. Could this be decades old counterbore??

that's weird! doesn't look counterbored, just worn out. wtf?

Never seen that......counterbored ones usually go much deeper than that and there is no "ridge" where the counterboring ends.......like the rifeling just fades out on that one.......

Maybe someone went nuts with a cleaning rod on the end of a drill? I've heard of people doing that to a rifle with a rusty bore.....maybe someone did that to it and let the cleaning rod just "scrounge" the hell out of the muzzle? Just guessing.

Thats why i was thinking a Cut/recrown might be an okay idea since there is pretty strong rifling down like half an inch from the muzzle and i don't need to move the front sight or anything

View attachment 114000

Here is how the rifling ends near the crown. It seems like it has just been worn down. Sorry about the picture, this is the best i could do to show this.

shoot it first if you have not. I have a k98 that is worn like that and it still shoots well.... 3.5" groups. If the wear is nice and even it should not have a huge impact on it.

Got the sniper rifle yesterday. WOW what a gorgeous rifle. Stock is in amazing condition, and metal is great. Scope looks like it's in great shape too.

The only thing with this scope is it needs lens covers.

Otherwise, what a great addition to the collection. And Classic is stating that's it. No more from Russia. Stores are depleted.

From a well known retailer of C&R guns-

****** - Just as an additional note - We are being told by the importers that the Russians, or more correctly Ukranians, although we still refer to them as Russians, have a new minister of commerce overseeing the sell of surplus rifles and ammunition. It is said that this guy is more capitialistic and market savy than his predecessors. We are told that he feels that the surplus arms and ammunition leaving the Russian arsenals have been undervalued for some time, and that he has already implemented a take it or leave it stance regarding increased pricing to the importers.

Wonder how much of that is fact and how much is just marketing...

From a well known retailer of C&R guns-

Wonder how much of that is fact and how much is just marketing...

Classic Arms put that same notice up about the "new" Minister of Commerce tightening prices 2 or 3 years ago. The fact is with what's going between Russian and Ukraine it really doesn't matter. A friend of mine is an ammo/firearms importer and has a farm in Ukraine along with his Ukrainian business partner and is there right now looking for deals. He told me before he left that he thinks once things are settled with Russia that Ukraine will probably be dumping all the surplus they can to make room for and raise money to buy NATO ammo because they really want to be part of NATO. We'll see about that part but this tactic they're using is something they put on their site before. Here's the same notice word for word from Feb 2013 in another forum. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2157430

Back
Top Bottom