Mosin nagant question

This is epic. Boris is a friggin treasure to NES'rs. I'm in the process of cleaning up my 91/30 (And my Garand) and hit upon this thread. Great stuff.

So I bought my first mosin nagant 91/30 in the group buy put on by Joe at On Target. I cleaned the light coat of cosmoline and opened my tin of ammo. I went and fired it yesterday for the first time. People weren't lying or exaggerating when they say that rifle kicks. I think it is compounded by the steel butt plate, butt what do I know. After shooting I have a couple of questions:

I would like to buy a recoil pad for the stock, do the sleeves that fit over the stock work?

The trigger guard kept hitting my middle finger, am I holding it wrong?

Should I save the brass (or copper washed steel in this case) or throw it out?

Other than that I liked shooting the rifle.

A proper hold might eliminate the need for any alterations.

Pull rearward to the shoulder very tightly with the shooting hand, and push forward with the front supporting hand. This method usually tames even the heaviest recoil, as well as steadies the sight picture.

Give it a try!

And no, there is no need to save the surplus cases if you are not equipped to reload with berdan primers. Police the steel, and toss it in the trash.

So I bought my first mosin nagant 91/30 in the group buy put on by Joe at On Target. I cleaned the light coat of cosmoline and opened my tin of ammo. I went and fired it yesterday for the first time. People weren't lying or exaggerating when they say that rifle kicks. I think it is compounded by the steel butt plate, butt what do I know. After shooting I have a couple of questions:

I would like to buy a recoil pad for the stock, do the sleeves that fit over the stock work?

Yes! That's the only type to use IMO. The sleeve with the gel pad works perfectly on my carbine and the nice part is you can slip it right off when you're done and it hasn't changed the look of the gun at all. Got mine on amazon for not much $$.

Alright so I bought a butt pad for the mosin and it just came. I removed the old steel "pad" and started installing the new one and it doesn't fit. The top screw hole lined up just fine but the bottom screw hole in my rifle was about 1/4" below where the molded cut out is. I tightened the screw until it was snug anyway and the pad definitely doesn't fit. The butt pad is 4.25" tall and the end of my rifle is only 4" tall. Do 91/30 stocks come in different sizes I just assumed they were all the same?

mosin butt pad 4.jpg mosin butt pad 2.jpg

The butt pad is an Aim Sports PJNG05.

I'd return it and get the slip on gel type, the hard pads don't really absorb much of anything

Alright so I bought a butt pad for the mosin and it just came. I removed the old steel "pad" and started installing the new one and it doesn't fit. The top screw hole lined up just fine but the bottom screw hole in my rifle was about 1/4" below where the molded cut out is. I tightened the screw until it was snug anyway and the pad definitely doesn't fit. The butt pad is 4.25" tall and the end of my rifle is only 4" tall. Do 91/30 stocks come in different sizes I just assumed they were all the same?

View attachment 92015 View attachment 92014

The butt pad is an Aim Sports PJNG05.

Throw out that butt pad and get the gel filled pad. I got the gel filled pad for my mosin and it works great! I can shoot 100 rounds and not have a bruised and beat up shoulder afterwards. Here's the link to it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Shooterpads-R...0529429&sr=8-1&keywords=gel+filled+recoil+pad

Last edited:
i got my first mosin from the group buy with joe at on target also. and i got home today and my new mod came in so i couldn't wait so i put it on![smile]
IMG_0111.jpgIMG_0110.jpgIMG_0109.jpg

i got my first mosin from the group buy with joe at on target also. and i got home today and my new mod came in so i couldn't wait so i put it on![smile]
View attachment 92045View attachment 92046View attachment 92047

Nice! I got my Archangel stock a few weeks ago. I also bought the timney trigger, tapco ak47 muzzle brake, rock solid industries scope mount, bent bolt handle, scope, and bipod. Just got to get it to a gunsmith to get the barrel cut, recrowned, drill and tap the receiver, and the muzzle brake installed. Can't wait!

View attachment 92045View attachment 92046View attachment 92047

Is the barrel and bolt the only original pieces left on the gun?

I sent an message to the company on Ebay to see if I can return it; it was only $12 with shipping so not a big deal if they don't but they shouldn't advertise that it fits when it doesn't. I was just wondering if they make different stocks and it is my gun that doesn't fit or if it was indeed a bad product. I'll look into the gel pad.

I put the hard rubber recoil pad up for NES Karma since it was only like $10 and It did nothing to help with recoil.

Throw out that butt pad and get the gel filled pad. I got the gel filled pad for my mosin and it works great! I can shoot 100 rounds and not have a bruised and beat up shoulder afterwards. Here's the link to it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Shooterpads-R...0529429&sr=8-1&keywords=gel+filled+recoil+pad

I purchased the recoil pad and shot it this weekend. So much more enjoyable to shoot.

On a side note, I think I know what why people say mosins tend to multiply in the gun safe. A guy at the range saw me using my 91/30 and told me to try his mosin carbine (I believe he said Chinese). That gun is so much fun to shoot with the fireball; if I see one of those around I think I'll have to buy it.

I purchased the recoil pad and shot it this weekend. So much more enjoyable to shoot.

On a side note, I think I know what why people say mosins tend to multiply in the gun safe. A guy at the range saw me using my 91/30 and told me to try his mosin carbine (I believe he said Chinese). That gun is so much fun to shoot with the fireball; if I see one of those around I think I'll have to buy it.

Glad it worked out for you. Yeah they definitely do multiply. My first mosin was the M44 carbine and I just recently got a 91/30 that I stripped down and in the process of cutting and recrowning the barrel to put in an Archangel stock. Can't wait.

But yes, you should definitely get a carbine at some point. Much easier to shoot standing up and as you said, shoots a nice fireball.

I got both of mine at Collectable Arms in Merrimack, NH as they have a very nice selection of mosins (in varying levels of condition) to pick from. Carbines are $269.99 and 91/30s are $179.99. Crates of x54r ammo (880 rounds) $187.99. Great shop.

Last edited:
I just got one and put 80 rounds thru it yesterday.......I will own more! Fun.....cheap.....have to "convince" the bolt to do your bidding but gives you an idea what Ivan went through! I need a carbine next. These things blow the hell out of 2 liter soda bottles! I lucked out and got a 1940 that does not shoot high at 100 yards......just a tad to the right though......fixable!

1544336_716554061702344_1499069126_n.jpg

Yesterday was my first time shooting past 100 yards, out to about 170 specifically, using a friend's rifles, followed by my Mosin M38. I hit some cans with the iron sights and danced around a 6" plate for a while without hitting it but anyways - shooting the scoped guns at that distance was a ton of fun, especially since I don't have perfect eyesight and the optics actually allowed me to see pretty well (duh). I have a 91/30 that I haven't shot since getting the M38 so I started thinking about getting a Monte Carlo stock for the 91/30, along with a scope mount, bipod, scope etc, all while preserving the original parts.

Thoughts on this? My goal would be to to get that rifle out to 200 yards, then 300. Would this result in a decent 300 yard gun or is this a waste of money and I should look elsewhere?

Rather than trying to build up a 91/30 into something it isn't, why not get a 91/30 sniper? You'll have something that will allow you to shoot at longer range and still be collectable.

Original PU Snipers are still available for $679.99. They're 91/30s that were hand selected for sniper rifles due to their accuracy.

Simple: because I'd rather not spend $679.99 right now [wink]

Personally I wouldn't bother scoping a 91/30 until it proves itself to be a bit accurate. if you cant pull of decent groups say @ 50 or 100 yards with suplus ammo then you wont have fun shooting @ 300 even with a scope.
My 91/30 right from the "box" sucked for accuracy. Minute of berm. I was close to chucking the thing in the closet to live its life in the darkness.
I was hell bent though on getting that thing to shoot at least a group vs the shotgun pattern. It was not easy nor fun to finally get there.
1. I polished the trigger/sear spring contact area and installed a "slack spring" This help at least in starting to like the trigger.
2. I then installed thicker and resized the front sight so I can see it and also be closer to point of aim vs point of impact for elevation.
3. took the longest and the most looking into. finally I found someone who owns a mosin hungerian sniper. He showed me the shims in the stock both the bedding and under the handguards. I played around with shims until FINALLY" I got what i consider good groups. To me that is I can hit the 6" black bull of a SR1 target with consistency. With my reloads I shrunk my groups to 3" off the rest.
This rifle still has a quirk, it will string vertically when hot.. not much and I have come to know this enough to adjust for it. usually by the sitting position stage of shooting rapids @ cmp match then the standing stage i need to bring my sight down to 100m to keep the shots on track.
The only person i know who has successfully scoped a 91/30 nocked the rear sight assembly off. Installed a 3/8 dove tailed scope mount and Drilled and tapped set screws into the mosin sight base to keep it in place. Then mounted a LER Leupold scope. He shoots the match ammo from the cmp. he also shoots some russian brass cased ammo thats is supposed to be target ammo ? He only shoots 100 yards with it but peppers the hell out of 10 and X ring of a sr1...

Back
Top Bottom