• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mosin nagant question

Personally I wouldn't bother scoping a 91/30 until it proves itself to be a bit accurate. if you cant pull of decent groups say @ 50 or 100 yards with suplus ammo then you wont have fun shooting @ 300 even with a scope.
My 91/30 right from the "box" sucked for accuracy. Minute of berm. I was close to chucking the thing in the closet to live its life in the darkness.

Yeah this is my only concern with my mosin archangel build that I'm picking up from Fred (50 BMG) at the Plymouth show on Saturday. I bought the rifle from Collectable Arms and immediately stripped it down and bought all of the parts (trigger, stock, scope, scope mount, muzzle brake) so I don't even know if the rifle is accurate. But at the same time, if I found out it wasn't accurate, am I really going to keep buying and selling mosins until I find a fairly accurate one? My M44 from Collectable Arms is pretty accurate @120 yards so hopefully the 91/30 will be too. I'll find out soon.

I shot this group with my 91/30 at 50 yards from a bench with front and rear bags using surplus ammo. I am an inexperienced shooter. At 100 yards my groups weren't great but all shots were on a regular sheet of paper. Nothing has been done to the rifle since I unwrapped it and wiped off the cosmoline.

IMAG0989_1.jpg

mac did you slug the bore? what bullet size do you use for reloads?
slug was .3127" I have not slug the throat yet. I use hornady 312 174gn bullets although the .3105" h150gn soft points do well also.
Basically this gun is going to be used with cast more than anything.
I use lyman 314299. Trailboss powder and reduced loads of H4895 where showing good promise for 200 yard load until the powder shortage hit.
I finally got a jug of trailboss to continue testing. I hope to get out in a few wekks

I shot this group with my 91/30 at 50 yards from a bench with front and rear bags using surplus ammo. I am an inexperienced shooter. At 100 yards my groups weren't great but all shots were on a regular sheet of paper. Nothing has been done to the rifle since I unwrapped it and wiped off the cosmoline.

IMAG0989_1.jpg

Then it looks like you found a keeper as far as Mosin Nagant standards go!

This was my first 10 rounds through my mosin last month and I consider it a keeper........it was freezing cold out.......kneeling position at 75 yards.

IMG_20140308_132745_412.jpg

Since then I have drifted the front site and the windage is dead on......for $144 I think it is an awesome rifle!

Last edited:
Yeah this is my only concern with my mosin archangel build that I'm picking up from Fred (50 BMG) at the Plymouth show on Saturday. I bought the rifle from Collectable Arms and immediately stripped it down and bought all of the parts (trigger, stock, scope, scope mount, muzzle brake) so I don't even know if the rifle is accurate. But at the same time, if I found out it wasn't accurate, am I really going to keep buying and selling mosins until I find a fairly accurate one? My M44 from Collectable Arms is pretty accurate @120 yards so hopefully the 91/30 will be too. I'll find out soon.

My advice is keep buying more M44's from Collectable...
I'm sure they would love mores sales to a satisfied customer and that will keep ME from buying MORE from them... ( up to 4 now!) [laugh]

So I officially have Mosin Mania. I bought five of them during the GB Joe from On Target ran, and then he got in five Chinese T-53's. Grabbed one of those. I just placed an order with xxxxxxx for a laminated hex, and once that comes in, then an M44 and a couple of the B-grade Mosins. They're just so darned good and so affordable that I can't resist.

And the way I see it, even though there's something like 18 million of the things, they won't be available forever, and if the political game of chess keeps going the way it is, who knows how much longer we'll be able to get them?

Last edited by a moderator:
These are my 2 Mosin Carbines front Chinese T53 back Russian M44. These are a few of the bent bolts I have been working on in my workshop it looks like the pics won't show sorry

1A1.jpg.html
IMG_20140331_195012_250.jpg.html

Last edited:
I know there were Millions of Mosin's made but some models are already disappearing... M44's are not as plentiful as before and when is the last time you've seen a bunch od M38's?

I have not seen any M44's that were still in coxmoline in a while. Collectable arms has some but they are not in refurb condition from over the pond though. I lucked out and found a decent example of an M38 at Kittery TP last month though........someone must havve needed some cash and sold it to KTP is my guess

I got to go as a guest to a friends range and try the m38 out to 200 yards. I was surprised! I've base it zeroed pretty well at 50 to 75 yards at my range where a slight low hold lands all in the black. Well today at 100 yards I was surprised it hit low......so I was expecting poa would be poi. But... ..went for 200 yards with a center mass hold......yup......all rounds hit low. So I clicked the adjustment forward one notch figuring I'd be good........center mass hold all rounds hit high. So..........6 o'clock hold on the second notch and I could land all 5 pretty much centered on the paper target. The m38 is a "quirky" beast for sure.......but I had fun figuring out how to hit black at 200 yards! Don't know if I would push it much past that though. Oh......and I was using a bench rest of course.

My M38 was all over the place at ~170 yards. I aimed at the same spot and couldn't predict if it would go high or low. I tried corking the barrel so we'll see if that will help.

My M38 was all over the place at ~170 yards. I aimed at the same spot and couldn't predict if it would go high or low. I tried corking the barrel so we'll see if that will help.

Ok......you got me.......what is corking the barrel?

F me, this thing is inaccurate. I get a similar group with the 91/30 at 100 yards as with the M38 at 25! And the former cost half of the carbine! Still fun though...

F me, this thing is inaccurate. I get a similar group with the 91/30 at 100 yards as with the M38 at 25! And the former cost half of the carbine! Still fun though...

yes the 91/30 is a beast....goes to show that the russians back then were rarely out-gunned at range, but within 100 yards they clearly had a disadvantage to quicker shooting rifles.

for me its limiting factor for range are the iron sights. once i mounted the brass stacker long-relief scout mount and equipped a scout optic, it turned my 91/30 into a wild animal.

changing out the 91/30 stock seems to be the current trend but honestly i like my original stock and the bedding seems to be quality.

I've often seen folded paper shims at key points under the barrel of Finn Mosins.
You can play around with shims in the barrel channel. I happen to use cardbaord from ammo boxes( estate 12g trap loads box top) it took me a while to find a sweet spot. I started with a shim under the barrel shank which free floated the barrel. This helped a good deal. Rifle would still string when hot. So I shimmed just in front of the front band basically locking in the barrel. Finally a shim rear of the rear band really settled things down. Keeping them in the black is not so hard now.
I place the shims in the barrel channel of stock and hand guards.

Is it heresy that i am thinking about finding a gunsmith to cut/recrown my mosin? the rifling looks pretty decent until maybe a half an inch from the muzzle, this is when the rifling is worn down to the level of the rest of the barrel.

The thing is i have not tried the thing on ranges more than 25 yards. Should i find a club with a 100+ yard range and try it out before actually putting down any money for a gunsmith or tools to do it myself?

I am also hesitant because it is an ex-sniper with all matching numbers, not the rarest thing in the world but i am trying to maintain a decent level of historical value

Last edited:
I'd shoot it at range first. Don't fix it if it isn't broken. Lots of Mosins are counter bored, though. I suppose they are worth a little less but not much less in general.

Is it heresy that i am thinking about finding a gunsmith to cut/recrown my mosin? the rifling looks pretty decent until maybe a half an inch from the muzzle, this is when the rifling is worn down to the level of the rest of the barrel.

The thing is i have not tried the thing on ranges more than 25 yards. Should i find a club with a 100+ yard range and try it out before actually putting down any money for a gunsmith or tools to do it myself?

I am also hesitant because it is an ex-sniper with all matching numbers, not the rarest thing in the world but i am trying to maintain a decent level of historical value

Just my opinion....take it or not. With some mosins you get good shooters with some you don't. That is all part of the charm. I have found my counterbored M38 (done during re-arsenaling I did not pay to have it done) shoots awesome and my non counterbored 91-30 does not have shot groups as tight as the m38. If it were me I would not spend money on a non counterbored one to try to make it shoot better. Better off taking the money you would spend getting a good gun plumber to work on it and just buy another mosin....possibly a counterbored one to see if it shoots better than the ex sniper you have. This opinion I give has nothing to do with hurting the "historical value" of the mosin nagant.......it is solely based on my aversion to spending extra money on a gun when I can get another whole rifle for under 200 rockets......[smile]

Its a EX sniper for a reason. ..... mosin good for hits on 18x20" targets. anything better is a plus. it took me some tweaking and hand loads to get mine 1938 hex to shooting under 6" groups consistantly

Back
Top Bottom