Mosin or K98

Looking to get my first milsurp and need a little help.

Here is the skinny;

1 - must be a bolt action
2 - ammo needs to be rather in-expensive (on a budget)
3 - I know the Mosin is cheaper (about $100-$125) vs the K98 ($250 to $350) but I like the idea of the K98 more so willing to pay that extra if it is worth it.
4 - accuracy, i want a long distant, accurate shooter.
5 - Im open to other rifles, these two just seem to be the less expensive, cheaper to shoot rifles that I have found.

Any thoughts?

What would be better to start with?

Last edited:
They're both going up in price. There seems to be more Mosins than K98s in the pipeline right now. If you can swing the K98 now go for it. Get the Mosin later.

K 98 and then the mosin you can tighten the K98 groups up easy and there are drop in triggers if so desired. The trigger on the boys K98 is like glass. really nice. Now on my M48A (like new) not as nice. the Germans knew how to make them for sure.

i think the '03 is a bit out of my range (ATM) and im not looking for an investment... I want my guns to shoot and shoot often.

Maybe its cause my "cache" is limited atm, but I just can't think of having a safe queen. If im not going to shoot it, someone should be.

Like my moto on cars...

Cars are made to be driven, not trailered.

Guns are ment to be fired, not hung on a wall. (or hiden in a safe as is in MA)

Well, obviously, you need BOTH, but get the Mauser first. I see them creeping up in price before the Mosins do. I enjoy shooting everything I collect, as well. When trying to decide between several prospects, I consider whether or not they are liable to get scarce soon. When demand is high, and you start seeing fewer and fewer of a particular gun at the shows and shops, it's time to grab one while you can! If not, next thing you know you'll be kicking yourself, saying "why didn't I pick up one of those XXXX's when they were so cheap two years ago!"

There are still plenty of Mausers and Mosins out there. You may want to look at some the ones that are drying up - like the Swiss K31's. Ammo can be expensive (unless you reload), but it's really unique, and built like a (Swiss) watch!

Recently, I've been grabbing rifles from the period between the Civil War and the early 1900's. It was a key time, as the armies of the world were transitioning from black powder to smokeless powder. Examples: an 1886 French Lebel, a 1907 French Berthier, an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor, a Model 1910 Remington Rolling Block, an 1895 Chilean Mauser, and a British Martini-Henry.

Good luck on your decision!

If you plan on shooting it a lot, the Mosin is the way to go as the ammo is more plentiful and cheaper than the Mauser ammo.

yes, but what about accuracy?

I'd eventually like to scope the rifle and (with a replica scope) and see what damage I can do at 300 yards (being the longest at my club)

Well, obviously, you need BOTH, but get the Mauser first. I see them creeping up in price before the Mosins do.

that is the direction im leaning too... but the bigger deal is...

RIGHT NOW, i can afford the mosin "under the radar", the K98 would require approval from SWMBO.

so I guess what i am really asking is, should I get the mosin now, or hold off and get the K98?

K98s are drying up with the last batch of Russian capture rifles rumored to be here now and no more to be imported.
Most of the RC K98s are beat but some sites have gems for a higher price. They're all renumbered mixed parts rifles with most having the wrong stock. Most are battlefield pick ups and we're left uncleaned and neglected untill the Russians refurbed them. Accuracy with these would be good at best unless you get one with a perfect fit and excellent bore. If thats the case expect to pay around $270 or more.
You could always go with a Yugo Mauser like the 24/47. Mint examples of these can be had for about $140 and they shoot great. They look almost identical to a K98 with the exception of the handguard going past the sight instead of stopping right before it and they have straight bolts.
Mosins are everywhere and will be for a while. 91/30s, M44s, M38s, etc. are still fairly cheap with C&R dealers often having sales for them at about $60.
Finn M39 Mosins are drying up a little but shoot much better and they cost more.
If ammo is your concern look at it this way. 8mm Mauser is more common in new production than 7.62x54, but is becoming less common in surplus. Whats out there now for 8mm surplus is the 50's era Yugo ammo and its not too good.
If it were me, I'd pay the extra and get a Mauser with a nice bore while they're still here, then the Mosin later.

Don't forget the Lee Enfields. The Number I Mark 3's and Number 4 Mark I's were amongst the most successful bolt action rifles made. Some claim that they have the fastest, smoothest, bolt action found on any milsurp. The .303 isn't super expensive, but is admittedly a little harder to find.

Well, the 4 rifles you are going to want buy are simple.

M1 Garand (while CMP has them for reasonable $$$)

1903 (or 03-A3) Springfield (also while CMP has them for reasonable $$$)

98 Mauser, or a variant. Some of the variants are better and cheaper than a Kar 98K. A VZ-24, 24/47 or M48 are absolutely the BEST 98's out there, and can be had cheaper than a Kar 98K.

Mosin, but, frankly speaking, buy a Finn ($$$, but worth it) or a 91/30. If the truth be known, the Mosin is definitely the dealiest rifle in the world. The top 4 or more snipers of all time used Mosins. The top one (Simo Häyhä) used an M28 Finnish Mosin Nagant, and it had open sights, not a scope. He was credited with 505 confirmed kills against Soviet soldiers. They work.

The Lee Enfields were good rifles, but Surplus ammo is basically Unobtanium these days, and commercial ammo is going to HURT.

Now, what order (assuming you want all of them)?

The M1 and 1903 (or 03-A3), as soon as you can afford them, before CMP is out. They run about $500 from CMP, the 1903 will run $700-$800 or more at shows, the M1, depending on maker, $800 and up (WAY UP).

The 98 Mauser before the Mosin, and 98's are going to dry up sooner.

Then, a good Mosin. If you want a Mosin, when you find a Finn (ANY model Finn) for reasonable $$$, JUMP on it. I've got 3 Mosins myself, an M24 and M28 Finn, and a Russian 91/30. I paid between $25 (for the M24, yes, I sleep at night) to $60 for the M28 and 91/30 (actually traded a scope I paid $60 for the M28).

CMP is currently out of 1903s and is not accepting orders for any at this time.

They have a bit over 100,000 Garands in stock at the moment, so that can wait for a little bit anyways.

I was actually facing the same dilemma as you up until this afternoon when I picked up a nice Mauser Kar 98K. There are a lot of Mosins around still, but there are fewer 98Ks around. I figured I'd pick up a 98K before they got insanely expensive. My next will probably be a Mosin 91/30 or M44, or maybe a 1903

thanks for the info guys.

Basically, you are correct.

My milsurp list would be the M1, 1903, K98 and Mosin. (and a replica Thommy [wink])

Question is really order.

I should be an adult about it and hold off and start with the M1. But sometimes that little kid in me just screams "BUY IT NOW, BUY IT NOW!"

Ok... so my plan is now is to hold off and look at getting my CMP M1 for Chirstmas. Seems like a reasonable gift to me [smile].

K98 is what I would pick up or a used M48A if you get a # matching K98 I wouldn't do anything to it but clean it up and pack it away.

If you want a rifle that you can work on pickup a Yugo M48 they are out there for cheap money and seeing they were made after WWII there is no history to them so if you wanted to work on them or sportorize them you can do it and not feel bad.

Mine I did a bedding job on the factory stock then put a timney trigger and all I can say is WOW night and day over the stock 2 stage. Waiting on a nice gunsmith free scope mount they takes the place of the rear sight and no it's not a scout type mount this one comes all the way back to be able to use a normal scope.

I have 98 Mauser rebarreled 22-250. I think; Mauser and cheap barrel from Gun Parts Corporation. They have .308. 30-06 and 280. I have here in Finlan 308 barrel. Come to my door and You can have it.

Last edited:
Mosin

If you are looking for a good rifle that you can shoot great groups with go for the Russian. There are bad K98 and M48 and M48A just as many Mosins. All of the K98 you can afford are going to be Russian captures and the actions on the ones I see are like sand is in them.

You can get an ex sniper Mosin 91/30 from Century now for about 169 bucks. Bent bolt and all. The bores on the ones I have seen are pristine. You can later mount a retro scope on them, holes are plugged , and you will have a great rifle. So for what it is worth. Buy the Mosin , save up and buy a nice K98 not some of the junk currently out there. Horton's cant give them away. I work for a dealer and Horton's calls him twice a week trying to sell the K98's. That should tell ya something.

Good luck and most importantly.....have fun and be safe.

God Bless our Troops

Thanks [smile]

I think that I will hold out until Chirstmas and then go on a little shopping spree for myself.

I may be starting with the Mosin simply because they are plentiful and cheap to shoot. So it will be easier to get approval from SWMBO.

thanks for the info guys.

Basically, you are correct.

My milsurp list would be the M1, 1903, K98 and Mosin. (and a replica Thommy [wink])

Question is really order.

I should be an adult about it and hold off and start with the M1. But sometimes that little kid in me just screams "BUY IT NOW, BUY IT NOW!"
Ok... so my plan is now is to hold off and look at getting my CMP M1 for Chirstmas. Seems like a reasonable gift to me [smile].
That is why my credit card is on life support, why I have a pistol for sale in the classifieds, why I did not attend the car shoot and why I did not allow myself to go to the gun show last weekend. I'm still paying for the guns I bought Jan, Feb and March. Now with the medical bills I will still be paying for them next year and depending on how long I need treament with my "so called" insurance, payment may stretch into '09.[crying][angry]

Less is more. Pay cash for what you can afford with SWMBO's blessing.

Having given my disclaimer, my vote would be the K98. I sold mine because I narrowed the scope of my accumulation to U.S. only. It was one of my favorite guns to shoot. I just can't have EVERYTHING...(but I keep trying).

Last edited:
Thanks [smile]

I think that I will hold out until Chirstmas and then go on a little shopping spree for myself.

I may be starting with the Mosin simply because they are plentiful and cheap to shoot. So it will be easier to get approval from SWMBO.

Just put in for your C&R FFL you will save yourself money in the first rifle you buy. And a lot of places like midwayusa give C&R holders discounts on products. It cost $30 for 3 yrs just contact your local ATF office which is in the Tip O'neil federal building and they can send it out to you.

Back
Top Bottom