Move out of country, what to do with firearms?

Find a buddy in Mass, sell them to him for a 1.00 when you return he does the same back. Wouldnt that work? Id do it for one of my friends.

Sent from the blind

I am going to need to talk to an attorney about the overall deal regarding citizenship, but I don't know about firearm-specific stuff.
I'll save you the trouble:

If you keep your US citizenship, you have to pay US taxes (though I think you get a credit for foreign taxes paid). The mayor of London is US born, and was recently in the news for refusing to pay $160K US taxes on capital gain of a home.

If you renounce your US citizenship, you become a prohibited person for life, and are subject to all the travel/visa restrictions relevant to whatever country you become a citizen on.

you can ex-pat yourself all you want. You're still a US citizen and a MA citizen. Your LTC wouldn't become invalid. I'd just put the guns in climate controlled storage in a safe. or put a safe in your NH family's house. I'd not give this a second thought.

- - - Updated - - -

you give the Colt Python to me.

If he foes he is to fill out a change of address form. When they see the address is not in MA anymore, the LTC is done. Now, that isn't a big deal whatsoever, he scan get a new one when he moves back.

As for still being a MA resident, no he isn't. Here is why. If he moves abroad and then comes back in to MA under a certain amount of years, then they will hit him fro back taxes. My brother and sister in law just went through that. So, for him, when he leaves MA, he needs to check the rules for taxation, and as such, should sever all ties with MA.

Find a buddy in Mass, sell them to him for a 1.00 when you return he does the same back. Wouldnt that work? Id do it for one of my friends.

Sent from the blind

Don't do this.

Also, most self-storage places have restrictions with regard to storing firearms.

Don't do this.

Also, most self-storage places have restrictions with regard to storing firearms.

I understand what you are saying with regard to the storage places, but could you explain "why" you say that selling them to a friend is a bad idea (assuming it is someone he can truly trust)? Are you saying that it would be preferable to just have the friend "borrow" the guns while he was gone?

Vacuum seal all firearms - put them in an airtight container - dig a deep hole - bury guns.

Come back - dig up guns and tell them you are sorry and that you missed them.

"Don't ask, don't tell!"

Nothing illegal about it and no need to tell storage outfit what is there. As long as rent is paid on time, it's none of their business. Also they do NOT insure your stuff anyway so any loss is a loss regardless of any rules.

His best option is the NH relative to hold them while he's gone. Storage places are expensive. I rented one and stored all my long guns there during house renovations for ~6 months . . . yes it was against their written policy. The small unit was costing me $80/month and that was back in 2001.

"Don't ask, don't tell!"

Nothing illegal about it and no need to tell storage outfit what is there. As long as rent is paid on time, it's none of their business. Also they do NOT insure your stuff anyway so any loss is a loss regardless of any rules.

His best option is the NH relative to hold them while he's gone. Storage places are expensive. I rented one and stored all my long guns there during house renovations for ~6 months . . . yes it was against their written policy. The small unit was costing me $80/month and that was back in 2001.

I'm renting a 5x10 right now to store a motorcycle, $55/month IIRC.

I believe that this place I'm renting from requires that you purchase insurance (through them) if your stuff is not already insured (which my motorcycle is).

Don't worry about your ammo, if stored properly it will be good for many,many years. I'm still shooting WW II surplus
30.06 and .22 from the 60's. Just keep it in a dry and somewhat cool place and you'll be good to go when you return.

.............................Jack

Back
Top Bottom