• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving cross country with all firearms

Going to be moving in a few weeks to Texas. My wife is staying back to close on the house so I'll be taking my firearms with me as I'm not a fan of the military procured movers moving my stuff and the potential of them sitting in a warehouse while we shop for a new home. I'm going to be renting a Uhaul trailer to take them, no way they'd fit in my truck. My question:

How would I pack them up? I don't have the boxes for them and i don't want to buy 30 rifle cases. I was thinking of building a plywood crate/box, and layering them in between foam sheets. Individually wrapping them in blankets worked ok for local short moves but I just think 1600mi would put some rubs on them with that method.

For all of my pistols I was going to lay them flat in rifle cases and lay them flat in the uhaul trailer. Figure I can fit 6-9 pistols per rifle case with plenty of space so they won't rub/nick one another.

What have you guys done with long moves? I have secure storage in Texas at a friends house while I get housing sorted and my safes catch up to me.

Stape,

I know of a place that discards all sizes of packing crates in Sutton...Are you around that area?

Going to be moving in a few weeks to Texas. My wife is staying back to close on the house so I'll be taking my firearms with me as I'm not a fan of the military procured movers moving my stuff and the potential of them sitting in a warehouse while we shop for a new home. I'm going to be renting a Uhaul trailer to take them, no way they'd fit in my truck. My question:

How would I pack them up? I don't have the boxes for them and i don't want to buy 30 rifle cases. I was thinking of building a plywood crate/box, and layering them in between foam sheets. Individually wrapping them in blankets worked ok for local short moves but I just think 1600mi would put some rubs on them with that method.

For all of my pistols I was going to lay them flat in rifle cases and lay them flat in the uhaul trailer. Figure I can fit 6-9 pistols per rifle case with plenty of space so they won't rub/nick one another.

What have you guys done with long moves? I have secure storage in Texas at a friends house while I get housing sorted and my safes catch up to me.

I wrapped all mine up in old blankets/comforters when I moved from MA to AZ, and they came through without a scratch.

Mr Happy, yes I'll lock the bejeezus out of everything. Inhave family in Mississippi, I'm thinking I can make that in one straight shot to avoid staying overnight somewhere. I'll nap at a rest stop if I have to but everything will be in sight the whole way.

Squirtgun, I'm in Groton CT, thanks though man.

Ochmude, I just might consider that after all.

Appreciate the input fellas

Be careful at hotels, etc. with the trailer in the parking lot. Heck a NASCAR team got one of their cars in a trailer stolen.

Ask the people and U haul if they know any companies in the area with surplus shipping containers, etc.

Last edited:
I plan to take two days with an overnight with family in Mississippi. If I need a break I'll just take a cat nap at a rest stop. I've driven farther in one shot so I should make Mississippi without much of a problem. I'm not in a hurry and as a habit I'm pretty obedient towards posted speed limits.

Whenever I move anyone, they are moving towels, blankets, etc. anyway, so I always try and get some use out of them and use them to wrap glass, mirrors, anything I don't want scratched.

For a container, look on craigslist and pick up a few construction job boxes. There are a lot of them on the CT site, here is one not far from you. Those will hold a lot, pretty secure and simple.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/tls/4966074853.html

I'm not sure how you can leave Gov Dannel Malloy for Tx gov Greg Abbott. You might miss the two bit dictator.

Lol, I'm retiring from the Navy. I'm from N. TX/DFW area, I'm so excited to see how much farther my money will go, looking at the houses there is ridiculous. You just get soooooo much more, no state income tax, no ridiculous vehicle excise tax, town tax, stupid gun laws, ammo permits, and No more snow. Anyone want a great deal on a Honda snow blower? Don't think I'm going to be needing it..........

if it were me, I would build a wood crate with a padlock and put that inside of some sort of uhaul trailer and lock it too.
If I put them in my car, I would make sure each had its own trigger lock, just for if you are stopped in NY and some ******* asks you to take EACH ONE out of the car to prove it is locked (happened to a friend I know)

If I was going to use any overnight hotels...I would seriously consider some sort of wireless alarm for the trailer. Lots of bad people along highway exits late at night.

If you put multiple guns in the rifle case, put a lock on the case.

Put a lock on the trailer.

Put a lock on the coupler that attaches to the hitch.
back to a light post when you park anywhere, catch some Zs in a well lit lot in the car, dont use a hotel unless it has some real security.

if it were me, I would build a wood crate with a padlock and put that inside of some sort of uhaul trailer and lock it too.
If I put them in my car, I would make sure each had its own trigger lock, just for if you are stopped in NY and some ******* asks you to take EACH ONE out of the car to prove it is locked (happened to a friend I know)

If I was going to use any overnight hotels...I would seriously consider some sort of wireless alarm for the trailer. Lots of bad people along highway exits late at night.

OP, be aware of the requirements of FOPA. Trigger locks do NOT comply with FOPA!!!!!

I would avoid routing through New York [STRIKE=undefined]City[/STRIKE] State if I could help it.

FIFY

In a pinch I've slid a long gun into an old pair of sweatpants to keep it from clanging against another. If you hit up your local Goodwill or Salvation Army you can find all you need for $2-5 each. Split 'em in half, tape each leg shut on one end and you're good to go. Best of luck in Tejas.

When the wife and I moved 20 some years ago, I just put each rifle in a blanket and put them all inside a chest freezer we were taking. All pistols we put into a box and placed into same said freezer. All ammo went in there also. The freezer was up front, locked and buried. No fuss, no muss.

When the wife and I moved 20 some years ago, I just put each rifle in a blanket and put them all inside a chest freezer we were taking. All pistols we put into a box and placed into same said freezer. All ammo went in there also. The freezer was up front, locked and buried. No fuss, no muss.

Apparently you didn't have enough guns and ammo 20 years ago. I hope that's changed. [wink]

Good luck with your move stape. As long as everything is locked in some kind of container and you obey the speed limit I wouldn't worry too much.

Do you own a safe? If you do, I have simply seen the rifles wrapped in towels and blankets and put in the safe with any shelving removed. Lay the safe on it's back for your trip and put some extra blankets in as filler to keep them from sliding. Good luck on your trip and moving back to TX!

One of the issues with NYS is the new "safe act",I just got done talking with them(planning to go to an auction in PA and returning thought with guns). With the FOPA your protected with the guns however any magazine over 7 rounds is not legal to possess in nYS,even if your just driving through (FFL dealers and Police not on duty from out of state are NOT exempt!)

Do you own a safe? If you do, I have simply seen the rifles wrapped in towels and blankets and put in the safe with any shelving removed. Lay the safe on it's back for your trip and put some extra blankets in as filler to keep them from sliding. Good luck on your trip and moving back to TX!

I own a safe but I am selling it here shortly. Its the ESS 50 from Eastern Security. The thing weighs over 1,000 and regardless of where I move its gonna be a pain, I cant be paying someone 100's every time I need it moved, which might be once or twice until I get settled and buy a house. I should have bought two or three smaller safes that at least I could reasonably move, but I went all in and got the biggest monster I could fit into my house. Anybody need a huge safe?

- - - Updated - - -

One of the issues with NYS is the new "safe act",I just got done talking with them(planning to go to an auction in PA and returning thought with guns). With the FOPA your protected with the guns however any magazine over 7 rounds is not legal to possess in nYS,even if your just driving through (FFL dealers and Police not on duty from out of state are NOT exempt!)

I understand this to be the case and have planned to mail any offending magazines to a buddies place where I'm going to be storing the guns.

Park overnight at a police station to nap for a while.

Skulen iz besd lefd tu teechuz.

i got 3 words for you:

Civil asset forfeiture

Because nothing would make the news faster than a PD that stopped a massive arsenal of guns from being transported across the country (even if they are all legal).

Recommend complying with all FOPA requirements then having ALL YOUR PAPER WORK ORDERLY for each gun showing you are the rightful owner and the serial number to match each and every single one.

Also have paperwork showing exactly the who when where and why you are moving them.

i would make it a point to buy a dash cam that you can then use as video evidence that you did not stop anywhere other than to get gas. Even stopping at a motel or hotel overnight can be a gray area.

5b38cc7d-a953-483d-8455-66163d016aa5.jpg

an insurance policy would be a good idea but it probably wouldn't cover getting your guns confiscated by the cops.

mailing them via carrier a few at a time sounds like a really good idea in our current police state.

Because the biggest thugs are the ones wearing badges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom