Moving need some help

So I'm thinking of moving, and need some advice about my licenses. I currently have both an un-restricted class A and a machine gun license. I'm pretty sure the towns I'm looking at moving to will. Renew my LTC no problem based on what little homework I've done. HOWEVER what about the MG license. Any Advice?? Now my licenses do not expire till 2013 so what does that mean if I move next month? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I searched and couldnt find any other thread about this type of topic. [thinking]

The only way to find out is to talk to the LO in the city/town your moving to. In most cases you'll be fine until renewal, but renewal can be a
problem in anti towns.

-Mike

So does this mean until they expire, I get to keep them in full standing? I hate the laws and confusion involved with this stuff [frown]

So does this mean until they expire, I get to keep them in full standing? I hate the laws and confusion involved with this stuff [frown]

Usually that's the case, as only the town that has issued them can revoke them. Word has it though, that some scumbag towns like Watertown try to do underhanded things to downgrade licenses. Haven't ever really confirmed this, though.

I wouldn't move into any town you're unsure of with an MG license or an LTC. The MG license issue can be especially problematic because if you
own an MG, and your license doesn't get renewed, you could be turned into a felon rather quickly.

-Mike

See this is why I'm an advocate for the local towns to not be able to have say in this matter cause you get some dickwad with an agenda and it screws everything up. But then again I guess the same could be said for the other side....[thinking] I know I can get the LTC but the MG lic...ehhhhh thats a different story in this town I dont know...Guess my best bet is to go talk to the chief and see what he says before I move.

See this is why I'm an advocate for the local towns to not be able to have say in this matter cause you get some dickwad with an agenda and it screws everything up. But then again I guess the same could be said for the other side....[thinking] I know I can get the LTC but the MG lic...ehhhhh thats a different story in this town I dont know...Guess my best bet is to go talk to the chief and see what he says before I move.

The problem is discretionary licensing, not which particular dickwad gets to use his discretion. For example, RI effectively has centralized discretionary licensing -- most towns defer to the AG who turns almost everyone down. Centralized discretionary licensing is as bad (or worse) then decentralized discretionary licensing.

The problem is discretionary licensing, not which particular dickwad gets to use his discretion. For example, RI effectively has centralized discretionary licensing -- most towns defer to the AG who turns almost everyone down. Centralized discretionary licensing is as bad (or worse) then decentralized discretionary licensing.

Ya, I hear ya that's why I said it can go both ways....just sucks, if I'm legal in one town in MA I should be legal in EVERY town, ya know?

Luckily my town has been a very very green town for decades, since jeez forever? [rofl] unfortunately not every town is like that.

HK, where are you thinking of moving to? Folks may have a little more insight for you if you can give an idea of locale.

Well, we're looking maybe Leominster ?? or Ayer?? we want to stay near rt 2 but Im thinking it will be temporary and not to buy, we haven't settled on a home buying area yet.

Back
Top Bottom