Moving to NY or Connecticut

CRR

Can anyone help, I am moving to New York State or Connecticut in July, what do I need in terms of permits for long-guns and handguns. If I am just a competitive target shooter, and don't have any immediate plans to carry, do I need a pistol permit. I also have an AR15, it has a fixed stock, no flash hider or bayonet mount, does anyone know how the NY and Connecticut laws differ with regard to ownership of these?

Thanks.

Starting to sound a bit Scrivener-esque?

Well, you've got to admit, these kind of questions are a bit frustrating when that NRA page is unavoidable if you type something like "gun laws NY CT" into google. Anyway, CRR, take a look at the gun law summaries you find at the link Cross-X gave and then come back if you have further questions.

Fortunately, NY state has a "speedy permit law", and the licensing authority is required to notify you on this status of your application within 6 monthly of submission.

No, it's not a joke - they really call it that. If you get lucky, you can get your handgun license in about 4 months. (They also have a state level restatement of the federal ban).

Thanks for all your responses especially Cross-X's. Ok let's narrow my relocation down to two counties: Westchester in NYS and Fairfield in CT.

If you had to choose between these two different states and counties where would you choose to live? I am competitive rifle and pistol shooter and want the widest hassle-free access to as many clubs and shooting competitions as possible irrespective of state.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom