Moving with LTC ?

NES Member
This has not happened to me but I am just curious. I have a non-restricted LTC right now. Say I move to Boston where it is much more difficult to get a non-restricted LTC. If I were to renew my license there can they give me a restricted license even if I have had no problems in the past?

Moderator said:
This has not happened to me but I am just curious. I have a non-restricted LTC right now. Say I move to Boston where it is much more difficult to get a non-restricted LTC. If I were to renew my license there can they give me a restricted license even if I have had no problems in the past?

From what I have heard, there is a chance it will be down graded.

Yea, that's what I've heard. Same as they have been doing in Quincy.

I hear that when you go in to renew, they are denying the Class A. But then, that's just what I hear.

But I've heard that other towns have done the same, Plainville, Taunton, ect. Again, don't konw if it's really true because I don't know anyone that has had that done.

Maybe call Goal...or wait for Len to respond.

Certainly can. When you move there, even though you've informed Boston (and everyone else required) your license is still the one issued by your former CoP, who controls the reason for issuance and any restrictions. Once you get around to applying for a new one (or a renewal, which ammounts to the same thing) in Boston, only their policies are relevant. Reasonable people tak into account past experience when making decisions; liberal gun-control advocates obviously don't have much respect for experience or other annoying aspects of reality.

Ken

Renewals in MA are EXACTLY like applying for the first time! Only things NOT required (by law . . . chief can do whatever they please) are another training certificate (some will require it, because they can) and fingerprints.

They can upgrade/downgrade, restrict or not as they please. When "new management" occurs, all bets are off. When you move, same thing.

Although I shouldn't be I am lost for words. I think it's wrong for someone to deny you something you already have/had. I realy wonder about the direction of the country at times. Don't get me wrong I believe that this is the best damn country in the world and I served it the best I could, but it makes me wonder how free we are realy are at times.

Moderator said:
Although I shouldn't be I am lost for words. I think it's wrong for someone to deny you something you already have/had. I realy wonder about the direction of the country at times. Don't get me wrong I believe that this is the best damn country in the world and I served it the best I could, but it makes me wonder how free we are realy are at times.

I and may others feel the same way.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that once you're issued a Class A un-restricted lic. it cannot be downgraded. Might have saw it on Packing.org :?

MikeD122 said:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that once you're issued a Class A un-restricted lic. it cannot be downgraded. Might have saw it on Packing.org :?

I've heard from a few people in Worcester that the new COP is down grading everyone who re-applies.

That's right; it can't. However the licensing authority that issed it can revoke it and, if you pay another $100 and reapply issue you a more restricted permit. However, that's not relevant here, since there's no "downgrading" involved. When you apply for your new LTC upon the expiration of the old one, it's exactly as if you were applying for the very first time. The only differences are, as Len pointed out, a complete set of fingerprints aren't required, and training isn't required by law (although the licensing authority can require it before it deems you to be a "suitable person").

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom