muzzle loaders - which brands do you like

Their factory is located in Old Saybrook Connecticut. You can pick up a factory second pretty cheap.

How does $213.99 for a .50, cerakote, no scope sound?

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/...iber-black-cerakote-black-powder-muzzleloader

Bob

ETA:

Quite a few to choose from:

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Special-Offers-Rifle

I'm glad people are still making things here!

(first link.)One available currently at the "factory seconds" price point of $213.99 - If I were a deer hunter looking to add BP to my season, I'd be all over it.

I have a Traditions Pursuit. had it 3 seasons. 5 deer and 2 bear. very accurate. I got one of the seconds and there was a small blemish on the camo coating. something that would have happened the first time that I carried it. I ordered it to be shipped to me since the cost of driving down plus sales tax was a lot more than shipping. I think that the stock of seconds increases in the March time frame since dealers are sending back models that did not sell.

the barrels are made in Spain. The stocks could be made in US and assembled in CT, not sure.

Last edited:
A friend just bought the Vortex and he was having all sorts of difficulty getting it cocked after a few shots. He call the mfg and they though it may be an issue with the primers he was using not fitting into the breach plug tight enough, causing fouling. He was using 777 primers. He did try using one of my federal primers and still had issues.

-kg

i have both CVA Acurra rifles....the V2 and MR..I can say once tuned in with right loads its a great shooter....I use BH 209 powder and harvest bullets and sabots..but most work great in them..I dont use powerbelts...I can clover leaf 4 shots at 100 yards...3 inch group at 200yrds and all shots in a 10inch target at 300 yards...thats nice shooting for a BP rifle...I am still fine tuning them but has been to cold to shoot....

Both rifles come up nice and cheek great...the thumb hole stock is great..I wish the MR came in thumb hole ...bit it still comes up nice and comfy...there are a few other bullets i want to try but waiting for them to be available...want to try Thors and Barnes...

Blackhorn powder is great..no crud ring like the pellets give you...can shoot 30 times with out cleaning the bore...and sp easy to clean after with Hoppes or bore scrubber...I have Vortex scopes on both...4x14 40mm AO ..great glass for the money...

The Bergarra barrels are what the say..ACCURATE...why most with Pro Hunters buy them barrels instead of the T\C barrels...also a friend of mine woks at S&W and there is talk there they may stop the T\C line...not a money maker for them...I do like the Omega's..but try to find a pre 2007 model with the better barrels that T\C made...

Jim Shokley is a T\C sponcer..but he shot the CVA accura and all he said was WOW...

PreBan,

Why the need for the thumb hole? Need had had one so just wondering.

I picked up the TC Impact for right at 200 and than put a nice scope on it a year later. Love it.

It does take a wrench (that they provide) to take out the breech plug but in reality how often will this be done. When mine is not being used I just leave the plug out and never have a problem taking it out and do not use any special material on it.

Comfort really. That's all. I really like a thumb hole when shooting at level or down from a stand. I like the traditional grip when shooting up - like at birds. Just preference I guess. Put a thumb hole on my 11-87 this year for deer and I'll never go back.

Comfort really. That's all. I really like a thumb hole when shooting at level or down from a stand. I like the traditional grip when shooting up - like at birds. Just preference I guess. Put a thumb hole on my 11-87 this year for deer and I'll never go back.

Cool. I have never shot a rifle with a thumb hole before so I will have to try it out if possible one day.

PreBan,

I apologize if I missed it but what MZ do you have now? Also, have you looked into scopes as of yet?

Reach out to Carlos, he may be able to do better. If not, he can and will get you what you need...

yes get a hold of Carlos at Ed's gun shop...1 910 692 7693....I have bought 2 guns off him and also lots of bullets ..great guy..if you buy a combo of gun and scope..he will set it up and test fire it to zero it in..once you get it your good to go..he is fabulous on muzzle loaders...he was cheaper than muzzle loaders . com...plus his customer service is best any problems he will contact CVA for a fix or replacement..he has good connections there...

Oh ..I believe Carlos has that gun for 449.00 the accura camo in nitride finish...

i have that same rifle and also the Mountain rifle....you can shoot a fly off a bulls ass at 100 yrds easy....

Last edited:
yes get a hold of Carlos at Ed's gun shop...1 910 692 7693....I have bought 2 guns off him and also lots of bullets ..great guy..if you buy a combo of gun and scope..he will set it up and test fire it to zero it in..once you get it your good to go..he is fabulous on muzzle loaders...he was cheaper than muzzle loaders . com...plus his customer service is best any problems he will contact CVA for a fix or replacement..he has good connections there...

Oh ..I believe Carlos has that gun for 449.00 the accura camo in nitride finish...

i have that same rifle and also the Mountain rifle....you can shoot a fly off a bulls ass at 100 yrds easy....

If he zeroes it in for Preban, than I belive (but could be wrong) that than PreBan will have to use the same load and bullet that the rifle/scope where zeroed with.

If he zeroes it in for Preban, than I belive (but could be wrong) that than PreBan will have to use the same load and bullet that the rifle/scope where zeroed with.

i zeroed mine in with one bullet was 250 grains...and shot other brand bullets in same weight range..was very close...even if preban zeroes it in same situatin...carlos will get it so your on paper grouping....I have tried many different load combos...most are close to each other when hunting come i pick my load and zero in for that load during hunting....I shoot alot before an after season...so always tweaking scope a hair there and there...preban may want to put his own scope also..so he can zero it in...I buy my bullets and sabots seperate...I try different combos....I have had 300 grain bullets print very close to the 250 grain ones...basicly I shoot barnes..Hornady ..PT golds and Sierra bullets with either MMP or harvester sabots...going to try some Thors...and Lehighs when they get some in...

The shims are to correct headspace. The firing pin bushing is recessed some and that causes wicked blow back in the breach. Makes a friggen filthy mess too. The shims flush it up some and make it a real nice fit with no blow back. After multiple shots it's as clean as it was before you started.

the key is not to over crush the primer when putting in the shims, and once installed you ONLY USE THE PRIMERS YOU FITTED THE HEADSPACE TOO.

My Accura V2 has a crush fit of .003.

The shims are to correct headspace. The firing pin bushing is recessed some and that causes wicked blow back in the breach. Makes a friggen filthy mess too. The shims flush it up some and make it a real nice fit with no blow back. After multiple shots it's as clean as it was before you started.

the key is not to over crush the primer when putting in the shims, and once installed you ONLY USE THE PRIMERS YOU FITTED THE HEADSPACE TOO.

My Accura V2 has a crush fit of .003.

Interesting, thank you for the reply and info.

My Acuura V2 had no blow by with Fiocchi primers....the MR has a little and carlos shimmed it for me...but like Boxer said..USE the primer that the firing pin bushing was shimmed to...to much blow by can cause firing pin to stick...it gets all carboned up...plus you blow by on the bottom of the scope...as it escapes from breech...

+1 for Carlos. Good price with good service.

I appreciate the referral to Carlos. Does this gentleman have a web site, or an official online business front? Something where I can get a receipt, etc. I'm a little nervous about giving my CC info to someone over the phone whose business I've not vetted.

I have no muzzle loader and this is all completely new to me. But I would like to choose and sight in my own scope. May be a Leupold, maybe a Nikon. Not sure yet.

I think BH209 will be the powder I end up trying. Seems popular and I understand the gun will need a reamed/drilled or replacement breech plug. The shimming is something that I was unaware of though.

Carlos works for Ed's Gun shop.

I will PM the link.

I appreciate the referral to Carlos. Does this gentleman have a web site, or an official online business front? Something where I can get a receipt, etc. I'm a little nervous about giving my CC info to someone over the phone whose business I've not vetted.

I have no muzzle loader and this is all completely new to me. But I would like to choose and sight in my own scope. May be a Leupold, maybe a Nikon. Not sure yet.

I think BH209 will be the powder I end up trying. Seems popular and I understand the gun will need a reamed/drilled or replacement breech plug. The shimming is something that I was unaware of though.

Last edited:
Yes..Carlos works in a gun shop..and you will get a reciept with purchase...but if your going to get a hold of him do it soon as he will be away a bit going to the dealer gun expos...call the number given and just ask for Carlos...I believe he has Wed's off...He is a world of knowledge in muzzle loaders...the 2 rifles i got from him were set up perfect...if you have any problems with the rifle he will take care of you..help you set up loads for what hunting you do...

I have shot 5 different bullet sabot combos and all have been right on the money from the initial set up..just a tweak here and there...as far as the breech plug ..just get the BH 209 breech ..I believe its 30.00 and you also get the tool to clean them also....

the CVA is a great rifle..

If you were not set on MZ with a thumb hole I would say just get a TC Impact and drop either a Nikon or Leupold on it and you would be at the same cost or less than that model you showed.

If you were not set on MZ with a thumb hole I would say just get a TC Impact and drop either a Nikon or Leupold on it and you would be at the same cost or less than that model you showed.

That is exactly the setup I have. I wouldn't want a thumb hole stock on a muzzle loader. To me it is not natural to take you thumb out of the thumb hole to pull back the hammer and put it back in the thumb hole for the shot. I tried it with my crossbow (the safety is in the same place as the hammer on a ML) and it was really awkward for me. I would suggest that you try before you buy.

Bob

Well based off of PreBan's location it looks like he is in another state which would mean it would be a long trip to try mine out but if he wanted to....

It is the Impact with a VX2 Leupold on it.

I have a Nikon 2x7 variable on mine. What is your favorite load?

Right now I am use 100 grain of 777 with a PowerBelt Aerolite 300 grain 50 cal bullet. I only have about 4 rounds of those and then I will go to the Power Belt Copper AeroTip 295 grain bullet.

Once my 777’s are used I have a jug of BH209 that I plan on trying out with the 295 grain 50 cal bullet, (since I purchased 4 packages of them when I was last at Bass Pro).

Back
Top Bottom