My AK Build

Love Machine

NES Member
Comrades,

When I lived in the communist republic of Jersey, I had built myself an AR-15 variant. It was an interesting little rifle, however after running 50 rounds of Tulammo through it the bolt refused to move. It was jammed shut. This is solvable with a piston kit, however at that point the reciprocating mass negates the advantage of a coaxial bolt system somewhat.

So for my next rifle (I sold the AR) I decided to go back to my grassroots and build an AK. I'm not going to mess with populating the barrel the first time around, I'll have the gunsmith do population and the headspacing/pressing in of the barrel.

My question to you is - what's the recommended kit to go with today? I'm interested in the 7.62 caliber. Do any of them make a difference? I was looking at the Maadi, since it seemed like a reasonable price and would fit a Romanian barrel.

basically if you snag a kit off AK builder with a US barrel you're gettng a really solid kit with an outstanding barrel. i have a few built off those kits, as do some of my friends. good stuff, right there. i do believe they began populating barrels there again, too. expect a kit to run you $550, that's just how things are now, unfortunately.

get whatever kit you can find. Romanian barrels have dried up just as bad, too.

Just don't go buying a milled underfolder kit and expect it to sit on a sheet metal AKM receiver. That is the biggest issue with people buying kits with no clue- they buy stuff before they check to see if it's viable.

Maadi kit with a Romanian barrel it is. I'm having Childers populate the barrel, will be getting their hardened receiver too.

Remember- his hardened polish blanks still need rails spot welded into them and center supports drilled and riveted. If you're afraid of populating a barrel you should be afraid of this, because there is a lot more opportunity to mess up a receiver than there is in populating your own barrel.

It's all about measuring twice and drilling/pinning/spot welding once.

Remember- his hardened polish blanks still need rails spot welded into them and center supports drilled and riveted. If you're afraid of populating a barrel you should be afraid of this, because there is a lot more opportunity to mess up a receiver than there is in populating your own barrel.

It's all about measuring twice and drilling/pinning/spot welding once.

we even had the right goddamn tools and still had problems with the rails.

atmay's receiver ended up as hard as me when i saw ed bend that HK33 flat. that did not bode well for the rails.

POP!

atmay's receiver ended up as hard as me when i saw ed bend that HK33 flat. that did not bode well for the rails.

POP!

also supporting ****ing receiver wall while trying to penetrate it with a dull bit and pushing on it like it's a rented whore does not help.

POP!

mmmmm, I might have to play fit my kit together again...[devil2]

not a bad deal. It saves you a lot of work, too. Comes with every accessory.... saves you a bunch of time buying random shit.

All you need is a receiver to rivet it to and you're done.

a quick detatch... stock?

you can't convert from rifle to pistol and vice versa and not have it be permanent, feds wouldn't enjoy that much, either i could imagine.

the second you turned it into a handgun in MA you'd be in violation of the MA AWB unless it was under the arbitrary number of ounces the law says it's supposed to be.

Comrade, I feel for your suffering, living in the Communist armpit of Amerika(NJ), buying and AR and have it jammed ... you have suffered enough and I can see that you are on the righteous path of winning already:

AR sold - check

Getting a reliable firearm (i.e. an AK) - check

Love for manly cartridge of 7.62x39 - check

here is a universal tool for quick detaching stocks:

PenobscotBayKindlingAxe.jpg

otherwise, get yourself an underfolder (Polish seems most common) and fix the stock with silver solder. When times comes melt if away or tear it with your teeth. You should be GTG. Also, get more AKs.[laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Is there even a way to make a ak pistole under that weight ?

it's been done, at least several times, kits are available.

Well, I'm curious. With an AK-74 muzzle brake, the rifle length remains over 26 inches which is my understanding of the definition of a rifle. So if you pin a folding stock in the folded position, it still remains a rifle. Or does MA law have a specific definition of a rifle that we can go off?

Well, I'm curious. With an AK-74 muzzle brake, the rifle length remains over 26 inches which is my understanding of the definition of a rifle. So if you pin a folding stock in the folded position, it still remains a rifle. Or does MA law have a specific definition of a rifle that we can go off?

that should be correct, rifle is 26 OAL and 16 barrel.

When the kit arrives, I'll think about it some more. I would also want a magnet anchor for mounting it to the side of the receiver. Or maybe I won't butcher anything and just leave the poor fixed stock as is.

I need to start looking for ak parts kit my self. Figure ill build one while waiting for my psl barrel. If you need to borrow some tools I got the bolt cutters and trigger rivet tool. I didn't need the trigger rivet tool for my psl bought it cause I was drunk when I was placing my order lol.
I'm going to be buying the threaded rod press tool for the barrel for the psl build .I might use the press In my dads shop for the ak build. I heard some times you can just freeze the barrel and it will slide in by hand saw a video on YouTube so you never know.

The Maadi kit from Arms of America is on its way. A little expensive, but I wanted the original hammer forged barrel. Pics will come soon, once I get the kit. I have some plans for this build that will take some time.

Comrades, is there a particular trick to locating where lower rails should be welded? Perhaps a paper template?

The way to locate the rails is to lay the correct size drill bit (15/64?) between the top rail and the lower rail, and slide the rail forward until it almost touches the trunnion.

This video was pretty helpful:

Spot Welding Rails - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom