• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Chicken Coop build

The heat lamp is REALLY not a good idea. Feathers are combustible, and the birds WILL try to get up there and perch on anything within reach. And they won't need it, even in the dead of winter. They'll just huddle together for heat.

The heat lamp is REALLY not a good idea. Feathers are combustible, and the birds WILL try to get up there and perch on anything within reach. And they won't need it, even in the dead of winter. They'll just huddle together for heat.
One 60W incandescent light bulb is all that space needs (in a fixture, not naked). It provides the smallest amount of additional heat and all they need. since you insulated it might even be over kill.

It also serves a second purpose, keeping them laying during the short months.

Also not great for the chickens, as it puts more of a stress on them to force them to keep laying during the winter months.
Agreed. It depends on your long term model for chickens. Chickens that do not lay get converted to other purposes. We rarely hold them through molting. After molting they tend to lay less often and larger eggs. Since they are usually already XL or XXL eggs, I dont want less frequent larger eggs.

So keeping them laying is actually extending their life. When the count gets low enough, we order 25 more mail order. When they hit 12-16wks we prune back down to ~10 layers. Rinse and repeat.

So I agree with you. It all depends on your management techniques. I prefer to cycle chickens once not fully productive so the light is useful.

The heat lamp is in there now because they are chicks.

Winter I might put a 60 or 100w bulb heater in there if its going to be -15 or something, otherwise with all the composting and body heat they should be good.

These chickens are strictly for egg production. When they stop they will be sold to the Cambodians for meat.

not really in it for eggs, i know there will be some, and they won't go to waste, but would it be safe to assume i won't need any artificial light if i don't want extended laying through winter?
if you don't want eggs than order meat birds and ask for roosters (they are called something else when younger). or buy a "mixed" batch (unsexed). Meat birds usually get harvested between 8-12 weeks depending on the breed and roosters don't usually start crowing until they are older than that. Unsexed chicks are usually cheaper anyway.

if you don't want eggs than order meat birds and ask for roosters (they are called something else when younger). or buy a "mixed" batch (unsexed). Meat birds usually get harvested between 8-12 weeks depending on the breed and roosters don't usually start crowing until they are older than that. Unsexed chicks are usually cheaper anyway.

i ended up getting unsexed Orpingtons, figured try and let the flock reproduce itself.

In yesterdays Chris Martenson's youtube video he mentioned that he is having a hard time finding chicks. He said the wait time is 2-4 months. Anyone here having that problem?

EDIT: Coop is gone.

I could very well be crazy, so please forgive me if so...

Would anybody have use for this thing as a possible coop? It's 6'x8', about 9' tall at the ridge line. I planned to tear it down as soon as the weather breaks. But after reading this post, I thought maybe someone could use it as a coop? Obviously free of charge.

Again, forgive me if I'm way off base.

IMG_3664.jpg IMG_3665.jpg IMG_3666.jpg

Last edited:
That would be a great coop. If nobody here wants it. List it on craigslist.
A lot of people bought cute little chicks this spring. They will be getting too big, dusty and smelly to be in the house soon.

That would be a great coop. If nobody here wants it. List it on craigslist.
A lot of people bought cute little chicks this spring. They will be getting too big, dusty and smelly to be in the house soon.

Can confirm. I am finishing my coop this week.

I could very well be crazy, so please forgive me if so...

Would anybody have use for this thing as a possible coop? It's 6'x8', about 9' tall at the ridge line. I planned to tear it down as soon as the weather breaks. But after reading this post, I thought maybe someone could use it as a coop? Obviously free of charge.

Again, forgive me if I'm way off base.

View attachment 349565View attachment 349566View attachment 349567
would you mind sharing the weight of that, and your location? I know a neighbor in NH who would love to have that for his flock

would you mind sharing the weight of that, and your location? I know a neighbor in NH who would love to have that for his flock

I don' know the exact weight. Looking at similar sheds on the web, I'm guessing it's anywhere between 700-1200lbs?

I'm located in 01507.

If he's really interested, I might have access to a tractor with forks that could possibly hold it up while we drive a trailer under. I need to check first so no promises yet.

Looks good. Everything I could think of was covered. In the summer I plant grass and build a little box with 2x4s and chicken wire on top. Grass grows in, chickens eat it, but it doesn't get completely destroyed.

Cleaning the coop in the winter sucks. The next coop we get (taking a break from chickens) will be one that I can walk into. Nipple waterers work well in the summer but I found that the tips froze up in the dead of winter.

I prefer cleaning the coop in the winter. Their shit is frozen and much easier to pick up Lol

That coop came out great. I didn't have the time anymore with going back and forth to NH so much so I gave the one I built to my father. He gets a lot of use out of it. I kind of miss having them.

Sister in law has some chickens. Nice - eggs show up occasionally.

So...I started thinking, "How tough can it be?" I did a quick search of the regs for my town City and got 10 pages of requirements, from construction to setbacks.... And no roosters, so you can't reproduce your flock.

Stop and Shop is there for a reason.
That sucks. Framingham has a so-called "Right To Farm" bylaw, but the way it's written it only applies to commercial farming operations, not backyard household farming. Not much of a "right" IMNSHO if it only applies to commercial operations and not citizen activities.

Talk to the town Agricultural Advisory Committee: Agricultural Advisory Committee | City of Framingham, MA Official Website. They're supposed to advocate for farms and farmers. Maybe try to get them to recognize that backyard farming is as much farming, maybe more-so, than commercial operations. Maybe try to get the regulations loosened for backyard farming, particularly for less urban zoning areas.

Yeah, it was more of an Einsteinian Thought Experiment, than a real plan. Not the best neighbors, from the point of view of letting stuff slide. Absolutely infested with chicken and egg eating pests, from skunks and raccoons, to yotes and raptors.

I mostly posted it, as there is a new wave of people that are wanting to backyard farm (and after the CoronaCluster, this may increase), that have absolutely no clue about the hoops that may need to be navigated.

Even a backyard garden, where I am, is a Sisyphean task: What the woodchucks don't eat, the deer feast upon. I'm not going to drop $500 in fencing materials to get $100 in produce. I have potatoes going (those are mostly ignored), and MsHappy does a Bucket Jungle on the deck, where the critters fear to tread. 10+ years ago, I started a 16 x 32' mixed garden, mostly to show the kids how much of a PITA actually producing food was. They learned the utility of an air rifle, and the Justice of interring the 'chuck that was full of our veggies, below the veggies to do a "circle of life....thing." Now, it's a few rows of taters, Precious....

Coop looks great.
When I built mine, I used 8’ high security fence wire (had it left over from a job) for the 6’-6’ high run and buried 18”. Another way you can deter digging under is to dig 6” deep x 12” around the fenced run and fill with rocks and concrete. Alternatively, I have seen 2”x12” pressure treated lay on the flat around the coop buried 2”. The idea being that any chicken eating visitor would have to start digging 12” away giving you a chance to notice. As far as light, I put a cheap porcelain fixture with a plug for the water heater.

Been hearing a lot in the media about the new chia pet, raising chickens, everyone in the suburbs is trying to do this now. In two years you will be able to get free chicken coups from these idiots.

Yeah, it was more of an Einsteinian Thought Experiment, than a real plan. Not the best neighbors, from the point of view of letting stuff slide. Absolutely infested with chicken and egg eating pests, from skunks and raccoons, to yotes and raptors.

I mostly posted it, as there is a new wave of people that are wanting to backyard farm (and after the CoronaCluster, this may increase), that have absolutely no clue about the hoops that may need to be navigated.

Even a backyard garden, where I am, is a Sisyphean task: What the woodchucks don't eat, the deer feast upon. I'm not going to drop $500 in fencing materials to get $100 in produce. I have potatoes going (those are mostly ignored), and MsHappy does a Bucket Jungle on the deck, where the critters fear to tread. 10+ years ago, I started a 16 x 32' mixed garden, mostly to show the kids how much of a PITA actually producing food was. They learned the utility of an air rifle, and the Justice of interring the 'chuck that was full of our veggies, below the veggies to do a "circle of life....thing." Now, it's a few rows of taters, Precious....

I'm not far from you, and have the same predator issues. Fencing your run keeps them away. The only time I've had a fox in the henhouse was when the fencing in the run had failed (after 7 years).

And yes, it is a pain in the ass to have to buy new chickens every few years, but once you're in the rhythm of it, it's not bad to have a ready protein source.

Starting to research raising chickens in more detail. I would like eggs and meat. I read about roasting chicks that are ready to go in like 8 weeks; they die in about 12 weeks. Can you mix these birds with the egg layers?

Pete
It’s not recommended. Because they have different food needs. But you can research dual purpose birds.

Starting to research raising chickens in more detail. I would like eggs and meat. I read about roasting chicks that are ready to go in like 8 weeks; they die in about 12 weeks. Can you mix these birds with the egg layers?

Pete
Buy a flat of unsexed chicks mail order (25 paid for about 28-30 arrive to handle attrition). Raise to 12 weeks. Cull all but one rooster as meat.

Not as large or fast as pure meat birds but a good dual use approach. I’ve been doing it this way for 20 years

Back
Top Bottom