my new gun safe wall installation

just sharing a few pics of the gun safe I built into my hallway wall. it's a large safe- forget how many guns it holds. I used my excavator to lift it into place when I was rebuilding my lake house last summer- then used pipes to roll it around the floor into the spot it will forever stay. I have 3 young children- not having a gun safe was NOT an option! ;)
In addition to bolting the safe to a 4' x 3' 1/4" steel plate on the floor (which is bolted to the floor joists)- 2 layers of durarock cement board were added to the sides, then the top has 3.5" of cement poured on it (for added fire protection and safety of storing ammo and powder.) It's also wired with high & low voltage receptacles, USB, RG & CAT cable. The safe door will be wired directly to our house security system. Such incredible piece of mind having a decent safe when children are around.

Attachments

• safe 1.jpg
    safe 1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 567
  • safe 2.jpg
    safe 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 552
  • safe 3.jpg
    safe 3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 544
  • safe 4.jpg
    safe 4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 534
  • safe 5.jpg
    safe 5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 520
That looks great,but I would go one more step,and make something to hid it.

thanks guys ;)
my kids like to grab the wheel and pretend its a ship [rolleyes]
I was actually thinking of painting a ship mural to embrace their imagination, but then on second thought, I kinda don't want them playing around with the safe. so I painted it a shade darker than the walls- kind of a cream color. still have to put the base down.

that was a thought I originally had at the beginning, which is why I have it recessed back- but then I loved the look of seeing the safe so much, I kinda just left it alone. but yeah- a hidden safe is cool. I figured, no one is pulling the safe out- not without a mac truck and taking half my house down in the process. they cant access the sides- especially buried under all the wall and cement- and the front door is ceramic- so good luck drilling it or torching it- they would need a diamond grinder to cut the door. The door is "pinned" all around with internal hinges- so forget about a pry-bar.

20170115_103951.jpg

Beautiful work. Hopefully something load bearing underneath that floor!

Kidding.

I get nervous every time I add another case of ammo.

Wow that's awesome! Great work. Yeah it would be cool to have something to cover/hide it with. But you'd need something rather large like a massive mirror or painting [laugh]
Probably not necessary though.

Beautiful work. Hopefully something load bearing underneath that floor!

Kidding.

I get nervous every time I add another case of ammo.

lol- yep- a load bearing cinder block wall in the finished walkout basement ;)

Nice work.

Can you sit in it and watch TV?

only when my kids make me sit through another episode of "mickey mouse club house" for the 25th time in a day! [crying] [puke][banghead]

Looks great, but what happens when it's full and you need another one?
Yeah it would be cool to have something to cover/hide it with. But you'd need something rather large like a massive mirror or painting
Could always go medieval and hang a large tapestry in front of it. Something tasteful.

Very nice install. I would love to have something similar.
May I ask though, why not do an "built in" installation in the basement? Just curious why the 1st floor was chosen. Easy access? Better heat zones? Piece of mind seeing it everyday?

Very nice install. I would love to have something similar.
May I ask though, why not do an "built in" installation in the basement? Just curious why the 1st floor was chosen. Easy access? Better heat zones? Piece of mind seeing it everyday?

yes- for all the reasons you said above, plus... we live in a very sloped lot that goes down to the lakefront. it was so difficult just getting the safe there on that level, the logistics of getting it to the basement were even more insane. I put the safe in the house before I built any walls, and really didn't want to try and get that thing down around the property on a steep hill- I literally had to roll that thing around on pipes until I could figure out the best location- I believe it weighs nearly 1000 lbs (938 lbs I think) I figured it should be in the center of the house over a solid load beating wall-I didn't want it to be viewable through any window either. also, easy access to the master bedroom, which is the door just behind it on the left. My wife actually wanted it down stairs but I promised her I'd make it "fit-in" ;) here's a few pics of the safe just sitting around the house as we demolished it and rebuilt it...

Attachments

• safe 5.jpg
    safe 5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 185
  • safe 6.jpg
    safe 6.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 182
  • safe 7.jpg
    safe 7.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 175
  • safe 8.jpg
    safe 8.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 178
  • safe 9.jpg
    safe 9.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 187
  • safe 10.jpg
    safe 10.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 186
  • safe 11.jpg
    safe 11.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 176
  • sfe (6).jpg
    sfe (6).jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 173
That's awesome. Any thoughts on a pocket door so it's not out in the open? Personally I don't want anyone to know I have a safe.

no- I really like sporting the safe in the hall. I like seeing it and having easy access to it. not that I'd challenge anyone to break into my safe, but, the redneck home burglar would have an easier time stealing or breaking into an ATM than this safe.
Plus, I work from home- I don't have regular work hours, so there's really no way for someone to know when I'm coming or going. it's funny tho- I've actually had friends over who'd walk down the hall to use the bathroom and not even notice the gigantic safe tucked into the wall- lmao!

I would honestly not keep powder in it.

I guess the thought of a can of powder flaring up and ruining my firearms collection is heartbreaking to consider- but I don't really store much- if I do get more into reloading and storing powder, I'd most likely buy a fire cab and put it in my shop down stairs. 1/4 of that safe is taken up with ammo- if I start to run out of room, I may consider another smaller safe to store ammo in, in the basement. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom