• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Acquisitions March 2024

Picked up a No. 5 Mk. 1 (aka 'Jungle Carbine') earlier this month. Certainly not a pristine example, but it has a good bore and I got a pretty good deal on it.

View attachment 861495

Nice. Wartime manufactured too, though it probably never made it out to the CBI. I used to own four Enfields and now I just own my '47 Faz.

They tell stories about harsh recoil and wandering zero, but I've never encountered either. Though... I do recommend a modern repro buttpad. Enjoy it!

I've been fortunate enough to pick up a couple of guns over the past couple of weeks, one old and one new. First the old...a Colt Single Action Army Artillery Model, from 1881 that has been my Holy Grail gun for some time. It's in great shape for its age, and all original (for an Artillery Model, that is):

full

full

...and the new...a Beretta 80X Cheetah. A little back story first. I actually sold all three of my Berettas over the past month or so to fellow members here (as some of you may recall from my ads here on the forum). As much as I liked them, I just couldn't get used to the wide grips on all of them, including a model 84fs Cheetah, which I was hoping to use in my EDC rotation. Well, the day after I sold the Cheetah, the last of the three, I happened to stop by my LGS and they had these new 80X Cheetahs in stock. And to my surprise, Beretta had narrowed the grips on these considerably to the point where I now find them quite comfortable. And I love the de-cocker feature on it (I realize many people don't), and the smooth, easy double action, all perfect features for me on an EDC. Anyway, this is what my new Cheetah looks like (although I borrowed the pic from the World Wide Web):

full

...and yes, this particular special edition Beretta comes in a nice leather bound case for good measure.

Oh, and I should add that I have one more new/old/new gun coming in another week or two. I promise it will be my last one for a while, though. :cool:

Frank

I've been fortunate enough to pick up a couple of guns over the past couple of weeks, one old and one new. First the old...a Colt Single Action Army Artillery Model, from 1881 that has been my Holy Grail gun for some time. It's in great shape for its age, and all original (for an Artillery Model, that is):

full

full

...and the new...a Beretta 80X Cheetah. A little back story first. I actually sold all three of my Berettas over the past month or so to fellow members here (as some of you may recall from my ads here on the forum). As much as I liked them, I just couldn't get used to the wide grips on all of them, including a model 84fs Cheetah, which I was hoping to use in my EDC rotation. Well, the day after I sold the Cheetah, the last of the three, I happened to stop by my LGS and they had these new 80X Cheetahs in stock. And to my surprise, Beretta had narrowed the grips on these considerably to the point where I now find them quite comfortable. And I love the de-cocker feature on it (I realize many people don't), and the smooth, easy double action, all perfect features for me on an EDC. Anyway, this is what my new Cheetah looks like (although I borrowed the pic from the World Wide Web):

full

...and yes, this particular special edition Beretta comes in a nice leather bound case for good measure.

Oh, and I should add that I have one more new/old/new gun coming in another week or two. I promise it will be my last one for a while, though. :cool:

Frank
Nobody here will hold you to that!

That thing is totally awesome. It would be fun to fire one-handed the balance and weight distribution look perfect
It’s got some weight for it’s size, I’d say it’s about 6lbs, and the mag with 25rds of .45 adds like another 2 lbs, making it a little forward heavy with the lightweight brace minus a buffer tube, extension and normal stock.

Messing around with it at home it’s actually a little short for my orangutan arms, it’s manageable but another 2”-3” on the brace or putting a vertical grip up front would be kind of perfect, mostly just for comfort though. But I’m looking forward to getting it zeroed and see how it shoots for sure.

It’s got some weight for it’s size, I’d say it’s about 6lbs, and the mag with 25rds of .45 adds like another 2 lbs, making it a little forward heavy with the lightweight brace minus a buffer tube, extension and normal stock.

Messing around with it at home it’s actually a little short for my orangutan arms, it’s manageable but another 2”-3” on the brace or putting a vertical grip up front would be kind of perfect, mostly just for comfort though. But I’m looking forward to getting it zeroed and see how it shoots for sure.
Why would the length of your arms matter on this pistol arm brace? I'm sure you aren't shouldering this pistol.

Few new ones for this month…the DW Valor is lightly used and was gunbroker STEAL, a bid I placed to see if gunbroker fixed my account, assuming that I will never win with how low the bid was, I was wrong. Others were all fall out from picking up the Valor, never ceases to fail…

Attachments

• IMG_6420.jpeg
    IMG_6420.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6421.jpeg
    IMG_6421.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 71
Few new ones for this month…the DW Valor is lightly used and was gunbroker STEAL, a bid I placed to see if gunbroker fixed my account, assuming that I will never win with how low the bid was, I was wrong. Others were all fall out from picking up the Valor, never ceases to fail…
How low?

Nice. Wartime manufactured too, though it probably never made it out to the CBI. I used to own four Enfields and now I just own my '47 Faz.

They tell stories about harsh recoil and wandering zero, but I've never encountered either. Though... I do recommend a modern repro buttpad. Enjoy it!

Yeah, 7/45 date on it. I put some rounds through it weekend and I didn't notice any sort of wandering zero in the 20 rounds I put through it. It shot quite well actually. Recoil wasn't horrible...it let's you know it's there, but it's no worse than a Mosin carbine. It definitely kicks less than a Steyr M95 carbine!

Bought the gun months ago and finally got the SBR done a few days ago. I may eventually parkerize / Alumahyde it.
3A9F915A-2EFF-45F1-82D3-DB5285A7277B.jpeg

Oh and also bought a house in the town I grew up in on the Cape after two years living in my mother's basement. Divorce sucks. It's tough being a single parent with two little ones (shared custody) but I've worked my ass off to get out of that gross dungeon and back on my feet.
I won't even mention how much I have into this M1A1 clone but it's my gift to myself for persevering. Now to start dumping money into upgrading my new home ;)

SO MANY new acquisitions in March, 1918 Colt 1911 and a 1945 RR 1911A1, i need a Korean era and a Vietnam era....
2 glocks, getting two more next week.... maybe saturday....

a G21, serial number starts AGAG
should i name her "Andrea" or just call it the "AG Special?"

G26, serial starts AKGV
*Borat voice* "AK Good Very!"

And if anyone is curious, a G26 will fit a G19 kydex holster and pre-ban G19 mags fit it....

1000009730.jpg

Picked up an M91/30 Finn capture today. It’s got a New England Westinghouse bolt body on it and a bright barrel. Love what they did with the stock. It’ll go well with my M39’s

Attachments

• IMG_5975.jpeg
    IMG_5975.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5977.jpeg
    IMG_5977.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 17

full

full

and I should add that I have one more new/old/new gun coming in another week or two. I promise it will be my last one for a while, though. :cool:

Frank

Here's the other gun I mentioned in my post above. Cimarron makes a very nice reproduction/replica of the Colt Single Action Artillery Model, complete with most of the original markings. I decided to get one of these for around 12% the cost of my original shown above, so that I could actually shoot it. I look at my original as more of an investment/collector's piece, especially since it has a black powder frame. The Cimarron, also chambered in 45 Colt, I can shoot to my heart's content. I think I may refinish the grips to look more like that of an original one, or at least knock some of the gloss off of them. Here's the new Cimarron Artillery Model:

full

full

Frank

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom