my new gun safe wall installation

Why not keep powder in it? Anything I should know?

You really, really want to store powder in something weak, or that can vent.

gunpowder's burn rate is related to pressure.

that means no pressure = "burn" like "foom" Imagine a little pile you light with a match. That's why powder is sold in plastic containers, and they're designed to rupture at low pressure. It's also why the storage requirements for powder usually say something like "nominal 1 inch thick wood" .

But if you constrain it, the burn rate goes up, a *lot*. Like "boom"

You burn a pound of powder in an enclosed space, it might be a big mess, or it might make a bomb.

Burn enough powder that it's worth protecting (like maybe 10 lbs) and you're in deep do-doo if there's a fire hot enough to ignite it.

What happens when you need a bigger safe next year?

well- at that point- I'd need to resolve the issue with my wife first- she already thinks I have too many @ 15 [rolleyes]

Or maybe move? What a selling feature!

the last house I built in douglas, mass I also installed a wall safe- hidden in a coat closet. it was frustrating because I'd have to stand in the closet and move all the crap out of the way to open the safe door to get to my guns. it was maybe 1/3 the size of this safe. when I moved, I offered to remove the safe- tho I didn't really want it because I had plans on bigger & better [wink] although the new owners weren't gun owners, they loved it just for the sake of storing valuables.
now, it took us nearly a decade to find an affordable house on our lake- and when an old cottage became available at a modest price, we made an offer on it day 1 of it hitting the market! we just finished demolishing it and re-building our dream lake house on a desirable lake, on a private dead-end street, where affordable property is seldom up for grabs, so - it's my intention to die in this house at a happy old age- and leave the property to my children to fight over. [smile] (of course, once they see the property tax bill.... they're gonna sell it [sad] )

My almost two year old is obsessed with that show. Every single day, I just pray the nightmare of that show will end.

At least he isn't joked on Caillou. That whiny **** needs to be smacked lol

my wife & I absolutely banned that insipid whiny liberal Caillou from our house! ugh! just the though of it evokes aggressive emotions that warrant putting fists and feet through sheetrock walls! I tollerate mickey mouse club house because I can sometimes trick her by playing a mickey mouse movie on netflix- but the first words out of my 3 yo daughter every single morning is "mickeeeee mouse" :/

Last edited:
looks like you did a great job..and the house and view is beautiful.....I personally tho wouldn't be bale to keep it out in the open like that. but thats just me. I would put a giant mirror on hinges or something to cover it...but its your house and safe and you did what you want. so thats all that counts! good luck man

well- at that point- I'd need to resolve the issue with my wife first- she already thinks I have too many @ 15 [rolleyes]

the last house I built in douglas, mass I also installed a wall safe- hidden in a coat closet. it was frustrating because I'd have to stand in the closet and move all the crap out of the way to open the safe door to get to my guns. it was maybe 1/3 the size of this safe. when I moved, I offered to remove the safe- tho I didn't really want it because I had plans on bigger & better [wink] although the new owners weren't gun owners, they loved it just for the sake of storing valuables.
now, it took us nearly a decade to find an affordable house on our lake- and when an old cottage became available at a modest price, we made an offer on it day 1 of it hitting the market! we just finished demolishing it and re-building our dream lake house on a desirable lake, on a private dead-end street, where affordable property is seldom up for grabs, so - it's my intention to die in this house at a happy old age- and leave the property to my children to fight over. [smile] (of course, once they see the property tax bill.... they're gonna sell it [sad] )

my wife & I absolutely banned that insipid whiny liberal Caillou from our house! ugh! just the though of it evokes aggressive emotions that warrant putting fists and feet through sheetrock walls! I tollerate mickey mouse club house because I can sometimes trick her by playing a mickey mouse movie on netflix- but the first words out of my 3 yo daughter every single morning is "mickeeeee mouse" :/

My almost two year old is hooked on Paw Patrol too. When we get downstairs in the morning, the first hung he says is "doggies. Doggies." and hands me the tv remote. It's a good thing he's cute because Paw Patrol evokes my inner Michael Vick LOL

Yes. Caillou blows.

I'm fortunate that my kids found Teen Titans Go, which is at least funny. They're 7 and 3 now, and although I'm a Mickey Mouse veteran of MANY hours of Toodles I don't have to hear that stupid-ass song very much anymore.

TTG has its issues too, but it's the best of what's around. At least it's unapologetically violent.

Agree ^
.. a safe shouldn't look like a safe..... to me.

I can respect and understand why some would rather hide a safe- but personally, I love the way it looks and there's really no practical reason for me to hide it that I can think of. It's wired to the home security system, which has motion sensors on the upper & lower level- and no "common" home thief is gonna be able to access it before the rindge PD (2 miles down the road) gets here.
My last safe was hidden and I found it very cumbersome to get access to- plus there's definitely a "cool" factor walking into a house and seeing this big vault built into the wall! I did a lot of research on line; it was about 50 / 50 between hiding the safe or sporting it out in the open.

I have that same safe x 2. I think they're great. Not a real safe per say but will deter 99% of the bad guys. I bought these 1 year apart both on Black Friday same price but the one on the left is an inch shorter??? My wife says who cares but I notice it every time I go in the room.

I have that same safe x 2. I think they're great. Not a real safe per say but will deter 99% of the bad guys. I bought these 1 year apart both on Black Friday same price but the one on the left is an inch shorter??? My wife says who cares but I notice it every time I go in the room.

are those the 64's or 80's?

are those the 64's or 80's?

?? I think they or the tall one measures 60x40x24 and the short 59x40x24.

I see!! Your talking gun capacity. They are the 64 gun units.

If you're going to try and get 64 guns in there? They better all be 380 pistols!

Last edited:

nice! the safe on the right looks a bit narrower and a bit taller than the one on the left. they are middle of the line safes- there are better one's out there, but also far worse.
I read up on them and their vulnerable points- mounting it in the wall like I did pretty much resolved those issues.
i believe my safe is about 40 wide x 60 tall. it has the "premium features- like the dual relockers, EMP dual lock, anti-pry tabs, internal hinges, all around pins and a media outlet with internal lights.

Back
Top Bottom