my new m&p is hungry

Have you fired the gun at all yet?

I am very interested in getting an M&P 9mm as my first gun when my LTC-A comes in the mail. Let me know how it goes.

Stay away from "range safe" ammo. Lol - i had issues with that. Otherwise, Whinchester, Remington & Blazer FMJ's should run fine...

For Carry ammo - i used Remington Golden Sabre's in my 9c

It was fairly inexpensive & reliable.

Congrats on the purchase, youll love it. Without any trepidation, I can tell you its my favorite gun so far.

Mine has taken anything I throw at it. For the most part, I now use Remington UMC, in the big yellow box. This, just to the proximity of Walmart, and the sizes of the case... ie: economy of scale.

Its a little dirty, but I clean after each range trip anyways.

For carrying, Ill let the other guys answer, as they can help ya out better.

Here are the recommendations of Dr. Gary K. Roberts for self defense ammunition in 9mm.

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

For range use in my M&P9c I use the cheapest FMJ from a reputable manufacturer. Have had no problems with UMC and WWB. Blazer brass is the cheapest thing going now for me. Bought a bunch but haven't shot any though.

Carry ammo is Federal HST 124gr. +P. Found it cheap, and stacked it deep.

Have you fired the gun at all yet?

I am very interested in getting an M&P 9mm as my first gun when my LTC-A comes in the mail. Let me know how it goes.

I recommend a Sig 226 if you can afford it. It is an all around better pistol, and you can get high capacity mags for it in this state. Much, much better trigger pull and no magazine disconnect to remove.

If concealed carry is what you want, spend a little more and get the new Walther PPS or maybe the Walther P99. They are smaller/slimmer and lighter than the M&P. I find the M&P just a little fat and heavy for comfortable concealed carry IWB. That said, it makes a great gun for camping or a compromise CCW/home defense weapon since it has the rail that you can mount a light on.

Last edited:
I recommend a Sig 226 if you can afford it. It is an all around better pistol, and you can get high capacity mags for it in this state. Much, much better trigger pull and no magazine disconnect to remove.

If concealed carry is what you want, spend a little more and get the new Walther PPS or maybe the Walther P99. They are smaller/slimmer and lighter than the M&P. I find the M&P just a little fat and heavy for comfortable concealed carry IWB. That said, it makes a great gun for camping or a compromise CCW/home defense weapon since it has the rail that you can mount a light on.

im not trying to start anything here but i would just appreciate it if you could elaborate on your comments about the M&P...

Why do you say the 226 is a better all around gun? dont get me wrong, the 226 is a great gun, but they totally different guns. i have also never had a hiccup on my M&P where my buddies has at least one FTF or FTE every visit to the range on his 226...

Have you CCW'd the M&P to be able to say that it is heavy and fat? i CC my full size everyday and dont even realize its there 90% of the time. sure something smaller would conceal better, that is just common sense, but if you plan to CC the full size i wouldnt be afraid of pulling it off.

My M&P 9 full size has been great with WWB at the range, and I carry the hydrashock 115 gr. The gun has not had any issues whatsoever since day one so I can't tell you what it will not shoot.

I aggree that the sigs are great guns, but IMO are no better than the M&P's with the exception of a longer track record, but the M&P is much more comfortable for me to shoot.

My M&P 9c eats everything I throw at it.

Also, if you get a chance, try the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P for the short barrel. for the carry round. Others are good but ran it through mine and could not tell the difference between reg and the +p ammo.

Back
Top Bottom