National Park Service Looking For Hunters To Kill Bison At The Grand Canyon

I read Charles Mann's 1491. Turns out pre-Columbus the # of bison was significantly lower than it was at the time of the Rail of Roads. It was disease that killed off Indians that caused a bison population explosion over the intervening 300 years or so.

This explains a lot. First, it explains why the Indians used the entire buffalo. You wouldn't do that - even if you were decended from Gaia herself - if you had millions of bison. There actually weren't a ton of bison because the Indians would keep hunting them. So they used the entire animal. Nothing went to waste.

So the modern # of bison is lower than historic #'s, but not the crazy disparity between current #'s and the 1850's.

That said - I'm sure some environmental whack-jobs will try and thwart this whole thing. LOL. Because it's Nay-Chur if we have millions of buffalo decimating the Great Plains ecosystem but it's mui-mal if humans butt in to anything at all.

Luxury.
Packboard or nuthin'

Dat you?

kago-shoi.jpg

Why would someone need to hunt a bison, that would be like hunting a cow.

Just walk up to a group of them and do what needs to be done.

Reminds me of a movie I watched when I was a little kid called Bless the Beasts And the Children lol

Better yet, wait until you get to the meat processor-

AbleClearcutGordonsetter-size_restricted.gif

And don't forget to bring the kids along for some good clean family fun!

tenor.gif

I read Charles Mann's 1491. Turns out pre-Columbus the # of bison was significantly lower than it was at the time of the Rail of Roads. It was disease that killed off Indians that caused a bison population explosion over the intervening 300 years or so.

This explains a lot. First, it explains why the Indians used the entire buffalo. You wouldn't do that - even if you were decended from Gaia herself - if you had millions of bison. There actually weren't a ton of bison because the Indians would keep hunting them. So they used the entire animal. Nothing went to waste.
Think about this, The reason the American Indians used the whole animal and only took what they needed as they had no real way of preserving the meat other than drying it, so they had no choice but to take what they could consume in short order.

Think about this, The reason the American Indians used the whole animal and only took what they needed as they had no real way of preserving the meat other than drying it, so they had no choice but to take what they could consume in short order.
They took it all because they needed it all!! No Walmart back then!!

Keep in mind the goal of this is not a hunt per se but a reduction in population. Reading into the Park Service's FAQ it looks like 'volunteers' (not hunters) may not get to keep any of their kills. No thanks for me. No meat, no hide, no thrill of the hunt? Nope. I can see this turning into a libtard shitshow too. Imagine going through a doxxing nightmare just for volunteering to help the parks system with population control. They should have just kept it quiet and hired a pro or let the indian tribes take care of it.

Why would someone need to hunt a bison, that would be like hunting a cow.

Just walk up to a group of them and do what needs to be done.

Reminds me of a movie I watched when I was a little kid called Bless the Beasts And the Children lol

I recall several years ago Benny Spies did a buffalo hunt. While they seem docile, if you get in the wrong place at the wrong time, they will run you over.

And Yo to Billy Mumy. He was in BTBATC. Frickin libtard early 70's movie it was. LOL

He didn't star in it. It was. . . . (off to IMDB). . . . oh wait. He DID star in it! Will Robinson gets killt for savin some aminalz. (Wait. Was it him that got killed???)

It was Billy Jack but without all the kung fu. ROFL!!!!

Oh gosh. FU. I can still hear that awful theme song. GAHHH!!!! My brother was some sort of wanna-be hippy at the time. You suck, Greg. LOL

20mm...go big or go home
Well...

338 Lapua is on the approved list. It's no slouch. Of course the terminal ballistics are what really matter, so in the end there's nothing that's going to come close to the .40 S&W. Someone from NES should contact the park service and request they add .40 to approved list.

In all seriousness, I was a little surprised to see 338 Lapua on the approved list. One other anomaly is that Winchester 7mm Mag ammo is approved but 7mm projectiles for reloading are not. They state minimum 30 caliber, but I'd take a heavy 7mm Mag load over just about any .30-06 and sure as hell would prefer 7mm mag over .308! All moot points for me- this is basically a project for someone with a let's kill a big animal boner.

They had me until I read "must pass a marksmanship proficiency test (3 of 5 shots in a 4-inch circle at 100 yards)".

Socialized hunting is not for me.😳

“How much meat will I be able to keep? Will I be able to keep the head or hide?
Grand Canyon National Park will transfer bison carcasses to Arizona Game and Fish Department at the end of each volunteer/ operation period. Arizona Game and Fish Department may distribute what they choose to skilled volunteers on the last day of their service. Skilled volunteers may share with Support Volunteers. Carcass distribution will not exceed one bison per volunteer team. Any parts not desired by volunteers will be transferred to the Tribal governments of GCNP’s 11 traditionally associated tribes.”

I just found out a friend of mine that lives in AZ is putting his name on the list. He shouldn't have any issues with the markmanship part. He was on AZ Nat'l Guard shooting team...1000 yards no issue for him. I guess it'll be a few weeks before he finds out if he made the cut.

So the modern # of bison is lower than historic #'s, but not the crazy disparity between current #'s and the 1850's.

That said - I'm sure some environmental whack-jobs will try and thwart this whole thing. LOL. Because it's Nay-Chur if we have millions of buffalo decimating the Great Plains ecosystem but it's mui-mal if humans butt in to anything at all.
Another thing is it's apparently an often repeated partial truth that the Bison were wiped out in order to starve the Indians. But Buffalo meat, processed into Pemmican, was a kind of strategic supply technology (Pemmican Proclamation - Wikipedia) , sort of like dried codfish was, because it created a high calorie protein/fat source that could be stored for years, creating a long term storable portable food source for a bunch of industries spreading over the continent at the time. A people called the Metis (descended from french and indian) had the market cornered on a kind of industrial scale production of Pemmican, which made a serious dent in the Bison population.

Pemmican​

Jonathan Townsend

Posted on June 01 2017

Pemmican is the ultimate survival food from the 18th and 19th centuries, originally made by indigenous peoples in North America. Buffalo was the obvious selection for large scale pemmican production. Many native peoples of America depended on pemmican for their survival. It kept well and it was an excellent food source, especially during hard winter months. Pemmican was also an important food source for many voyagers, frontiersmen, explorers, and fur traders. At the height of its production, from the late 18th century to the mid-19th century, the vast majority of it was made with bison, although at times deer, moose and elk were used depending upon availability.

The Metis were a unique group of people with their own cultural identity who originated from the descendants of French voyageurs and their Native American wives. They were responsible for most of the pemmican that was sold and traded throughout the northern regions of North America. The Metis developed an entire societal structure based upon the buffalo hunt. They conducted two hunts per year, one in the spring and one in the fall. A single Metis hunting party could have up to a thousand ox drawn carts in tow and could return from the hunt with up to a million pounds of pemmican and dried meat, and there were multiple Metis hunting parties.

Back
Top Bottom